[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best prose comin' thru

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: images(13).jpg (8KB, 183x275px) Image search: [Google]
images(13).jpg
8KB, 183x275px
Best prose comin' thru
>>
>>8899186
>Jumping Gee Willickers

Stopped reading

When will this meme wolfe end?
>>
>weird for the sake of weird: the book

No fucking plot for 200 pages. Cool!
>>
>>8899213

I'm sorry you're retarded.
>>
>>8899213
You're SAD!
>>
File: Jws3dXe.gif (2MB, 280x200px) Image search: [Google]
Jws3dXe.gif
2MB, 280x200px
>>8899213
>reading for plot

where do you think we are?
>>
>"HER CUNT BECAME NESTOR'S BANE; BEHOLD MERIDIAN!" Gyrindor Arch-master of the Blackhood Watch shouted to Belethron, Crown-Wizard of the Palace of Telebrion, the land east to Shadow and Claw tower.

wtf is this pulp trash
>>
Sell me on this book OP, other than /ithasgoodprose/. At least post an example
>>
>>8899629
I love these books but I think op is trollan, the prose is best described as generally serviceable.
>>
>Generic YA fantasy coming through
>>
>>8899803

Wolfe's prose in BotNS is slightly above mediocre for the majority of the series, but he does rise to godly levels at certain points.

Most of the plebs on this board can't understand that Wolfe is a master of writing in character and his prose is reflective of the perspective of his characters. Severian, at the time of writing TBotNS, has learned much, is older, and has a propensity for self-service and self-reflection.

Peace, on the whole, is a much better example of Wolfe's prose prowess:

“When we are asleep, so it seems to me, we sleep surrounded by all the years. I have imagined, sleeping, that I heard the footsteps of the long-dead; I have held conversations with them, and with the blank-faced people I was yet to meet, conversations that seemed of unbearable poignancy, though when I woke I could remember only a few words, and those not words that possessed, waking, any emotional significance to me. It is said that this is because content is divorced from emotion in sleep, as though the sleeping mind read two books at once, one of tears and lust and laughter, the other words and phrases picked up from old newspapers, from grimy handbills blowing along the street and conversations overheard in barbershops and bars, and the banalities of radio. I think rather that we have forgotten on waking what the words have meant to us, or have not learned as yet what they will mean. But the worst thing is to wake and remember that we have been talking to the dead, having never thought to hear that voice again, having never any expectation of hearing it again before we ourselves are gone.”

"
“And as if by magic - and it may have been magic, for I believe America is the land of magic, and that we, we now past Americans, were once the magical people of it, waiting now to stand to some unguessable generation of the future as the nameless pre-Mycenaean tribes did to the Greeks, ready, at a word, each of us now, to flit piping through groves ungrown, our women ready to haunt as laminoe the rose-red ruins of Chicago and Indianapolis when they are little more than earthen mounds, when the heads of the trees are higher than the hundred-and-twenty-fifth floor - it seemed to me that I found myself in bed again, the old house swaying in silence as though it were moored to the universe by only the thread of smoke from the stove.”
>>
>>8900754
Ooh, yeah. I came back to say that the prose isn't impressive sentence by sentence but the effect he achieves with the whole of it is, but you said it all smart like.
>>
>>8899909

Top b8 m8

Haven't read Wolfe I take it?
>>
Great prose, but Joyce is better in that department
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.