[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was he such a materialistic degenerate? Does he wanted to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: Hunter-S.-Thompson-2.jpg (21KB, 300x392px) Image search: [Google]
Hunter-S.-Thompson-2.jpg
21KB, 300x392px
Why was he such a materialistic degenerate? Does he wanted to emulate Fitzgerald?
>>
A man who loves guns can't be a degenerate.
>>
>>8895617
You do not attempt to troll /lit/ by putting the bad mouth on one of its gods. Its obvious to the neon sign level, and just really poor form.
>>
>>8895617

>does he wanted

Try harder, pleb
>>
>>8896222
>materialism
>hedonism
>mediocrity in prose
>vulgarity
>butthurt about politics all the time
>cheap sentimentality
>machoism

>god of /lit/
kek, nice one. I would expect more for /lit/ than treating hippie, beatnick degenerate as hero
>>
>materialistic
You are using this term wrong.
>>
>>8896272
he was writing about brands of whisky, guns, cars, bikes, and all useless stuff all the time
>>
>>8896293
I know.

That's still a misguided use of the term. Materialism is not about vain things, "useless stuff" as people seem to take in their common sense. In fact, these things are more often than not connected to some sort of idealism. Think about it this way, people trade iPhone 6 to iPhone 7 not because there is a difference to the actual materials the phones are made of, but because of what it can do and because of status, about what others think of those who have the new phone and so on. In the same sense, Thompson was not particularly concerned with the material reality of whiskey, but with what the whiskey could do to him or even about the development of brand names and their social importance. Anyway, it's a different discussion altogether, that's not materialistic.
>>
>>8896261
>beatnick degenerate as hero
Shows how little you know, padre.
Pardon if this comes off as some kind of blasphemy, but he's a giant in the 20th century literature department. Not Jesus.
>>
>>8896327
I'm a materialist because of my love for texture.
>>
I'll let this guy speak for himself
>>
>>
File: Hunter III.jpg (92KB, 350x530px) Image search: [Google]
Hunter III.jpg
92KB, 350x530px
His letters to people are like IRL Navy Seals Copypasta.
>>
>>8897631
Tom Wolfe is so much better than Thompson though. His breadth of topic, and knowledge of history, art, and even fucking socio-politics - Thompson's supposed area of expertise - is nowhere near that of Wolfe.

Wolfe didn't need to add in "cocksuckers" or "fuckers" to his writing to be attention grabbing. Nothing against swearing obviously, I couldn't give a damn, but HST purely uses it as a gimmick to sound edgy and be counterculture.
>>
>>8897637
Does this actually make people respect him more as a writer ? Sounds like a child who just learned what swear words are a few weeks ago and likes to use them around the house to make mommy and daddy upset.
>>
>>8897637
I'm going to post this every chance i get now
>>
>>8896466
Not sure where you studied, but I'm currently studying /lit/ in uni (along with Phil, my actual bread and butter), and he's not at all discussed as a relevant figure in 20th century literature. Then again, even the Beats don't get much attention at my school, but I don't think I've seen a single course that even teaches any of his works in our department since I've been here.
>>
>>8897626
>>8897631
he was good insulter guy, that is for sure
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.