[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ivan Denisovich

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: soviet.png (3KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
soviet.png
3KB, 225x225px
What is /lit/s favorite translation of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich"? I need it for an upcoming class but I'm not sure which translation will give me the best experience.
>>
bump for mother russia
>>
>>8894519
The teacher doesn't demand a certain one?
>>
>>8895239
>Solzhenitsyn
>Commie
Idiot alert
>>
>>8895236
He sent us an email with the list of books and an explanation of the class but not the specific translation. He mostly wants us to get the specific ideas from the book and to discuss them in class. The translation and specificity of words is not crucial but rather the concepts. So which translation is your favorite? Which would you recommend I purchase? I am eager to read this one and also to read Cancer Ward which is right after this one in the class so I would like to read the most publicly favored translation of each.
>>
>>8894519
B opигинaлe читaй, пидop.
>>
>>8895330
no
>>
>>8895325
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but /lit isn't actually a place full of people who have read multiple translations of great Russian works and have well reasoned and worthwhile opinions about which is best. However, if you want frog pictures and a million ways to infer someone's a pleb, we have that in spades.
>>
>>8894519
Willets

>>8895856
speak for yourself fagotron
>>
>>8897542
Thanks anon :^)
>>
>>8894519

It has been my experience that Solzhenitsyn's literature reads just like most pro Soviet propaganda. I come to its defense blaming the translations. I have yet to come across an enjoyable translation for 'Ivan'.

But for core concepts and ideas any translation will do.

>>8895239

Made my day.
>>
>>8898445
>pro Soviet propaganda
You do know he was expatriated, right?

>>8894519
It's a pretty good book. I remember it having a phare like ‘gazed at his fag with lust’ or something like that, but I quite liked the translation. I cannot remember the name of it right now, though. Nonetheless, I don’t think really matters with this particular book. Solzhenitsyn is more of a writer of ideas than a prose artist, and ideas can work in translation.
>>
>>8897927
no problem
>>
>>8895330

B opигинaлe гoлoвy cлoмaeшь, тy би oнecт. У Иcaичa тoт eщe язык.
>>
>>8898689
What I meant to say was is that his anti Soviet sentiments reads like pro Soviet propaganda when it comes to the quality of ideas. In other words his literature is not very convincing. I honestly believe that his writing only gained recognition for its political value.

And again, maybe it is because of poor translation.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.