[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I write a short story? HOW?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: ab69mOe.jpg (60KB, 500x582px) Image search: [Google]
ab69mOe.jpg
60KB, 500x582px
How do I write a short story?

HOW?
>>
One letter at a time.
>>
>>8891062
1. create a story in your mind
2. got it? ok, now you pick up a chekhov short story and read it five times
3. now you sit on your computer with the short story in one hand and start your story as if you were chekhov
4. ????
5. eat free pussy, get tons of dollaridoos, make friends and travel around the world
>>
>>8891065
Yeah but how do I write good characters and shit>?
>>
>>8891077

1. Show, don't tell.
>Don't say "Jimmy was smart." Have Jimmy build a robot. From this, we will know that Jimmy was smart.

2. Believable dialog.
>Don't have Billy Bob say "You dolt!" Billy Bob is a hillbilly. He'd probably say something like "Git yer shit together."

3. Integrative complexity.
>Before you write the story, write pages and pages about each character. His/her internal life, goals, struggles, manner of speaking/moving, daily routine, etc. Some of this will make it into the story; most won't. Write it all anyway, to make sure you have a full grasp of what each character is like.
>>
>>8891137
i'm writing a sci-fi novel, can i make Jimmy build a nuclear reactor or its unbelievable?
>>
>>8891174

Depends on the rules of your universe. If it's really far in the future, and this is a thing that skilled people can do by themselves, then sure. If it's now, of course not, you need a construction crew. He could design it himself, though.
>>
>>8891137
How do I know what setting to put my story in? I want space but also wild west is cool. Plus I want knights and a gothic theme. There's just too much I'm overwhelmed. How do I know what setting I want?
>>
>>8891274
Make a sci-fi story set on a gothic planet, with aliens in a feudalistic society.

Or just pick one setting, and write and finish a story. Then do another story in another genre.
>>
>>8891274

Pick 1-2 elements you like. Any more and it'll be a clusterfuck.

If you have a lot of things you want to write, write multiple short stories and/or novels. Don't cram everything together just because.

Last advice for the day: your first 2-3 years of writing, you'll write nothing good. Be self-critical, and realize what does and doesn't work about what you've written. Don't blindly love everything you've made.

If you need help with this, post in a critique thread.
>>
By making it short
>>
>>8891379
And making it a story
>>
>>8891379
>>8891681
Merging both you have a Short Story! How beautiful is that?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.