[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone have the more comprehensive guide to the greeks?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

File: Start_with_the_greeks.jpg (1MB, 3672x3024px) Image search: [Google]
Start_with_the_greeks.jpg
1MB, 3672x3024px
Does anyone have the more comprehensive guide to the greeks? I remember there being a larger flow chart. Has anyone been in my position where they have read no greek lit and gone through the flowchart comfortably?
>>
I noticed these "start with the greeks" guides always skip The Greek Way to Western Civilization.
>>
>>8889688
Just start reading the greeks man, you'll figure it out. You chart you have is all you really need.
>>
>>8889688

Nah, fuck that guy >>8889704 OP, I got you

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub

A little hard on the eyes, but this will take all the work out of the whole 'love of wisdom' thing
>>
File: 1434445566415.jpg (4MB, 2196x3339px) Image search: [Google]
1434445566415.jpg
4MB, 2196x3339px
This is the only other one I got.
>>
>>8889707
It would take hours just to read your meme doc.
>>
>>8889707
>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub

Bookmarked thank you.

>>8889714
I don't care how long it takes, I want to do it proper yknow?
>>
File: 1465299113771.jpg (3MB, 2948x5020px) Image search: [Google]
1465299113771.jpg
3MB, 2948x5020px
>>8889688
This is the other one I like the most. I will look through and see if I have the others.

Check the wiki.

If you didn't start your study of Literature with Homer I honestly don't consider you to have started at all.
>>
File: lit-greeks.jpg (2MB, 3240x3600px) Image search: [Google]
lit-greeks.jpg
2MB, 3240x3600px
>>
File: 1435191921543.png (513KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1435191921543.png
513KB, 800x600px
>>8889702
I would stray away from flow charts, most are oversimplified and deliver an quick and express path through the greeks. Reading Homer, Herodotus, 2 of plato's dialogues and a handful of plays will not make you fully understand the greeks. imo it should take a long time and careful studying to "finish" the greeks.
>>
>>8889735
this anon is correct
Truly starting and finishing the Greeks is a lifelong endeavor which shouldn't be taken lightly. Dedicate your life to the learning the classics or stay a dilettante.
>>
>>8889790

I agree with you and the anon directly above you on just about every point. Of course we won't come near a true, or proper level of understanding of either the classical mindset, the classical canon beyond Homer & Herodotus & the Dialogs, or even perhaps approach the path toward understanding modern philosophy in this regard (can we compete in understanding against a Leibniz or a Newton who each probably knew Latin forward and reverse before they were fifteen?).

That said, I think we can speak in terms of degrees here. From my own experience, both personal and witnessed, the people who tend to actually pursue and not just meme, "starting with the greeks" are fully aware of the things you've just elucidated. Instead, those people, at least here, speaking only of my own experience, are merely frustrated with reading something relatively more recent (say 1200s onward) and having to always google some reference or concept, or heck, merely even wishing for something of a thruway.

This to be sure causes a host of other problems of which I can only briefly touch upon. 1) The illusion of totality, of total comprehension, 2) the teleology that comes with such a thruway, 3) perhaps worst of all, for some it could possibly make the task feel all too much like work, and thereby rob them of the initial impetus to continue, sort of like when you're searching for a movie and find yourself measuring half stars against halfstars on their imdb rating). But let's give them the benefit of the doubt here.

Indeed, all of the things we've pointed out make themselves evidently clear if they 1) are of open mind, and 2) actually read one of these charts in order. You can't tell me that somebody reads the dialogs more or less properly and walks away from them with even more of a closed mind? (of course, people can do anything)

Thank you for your response, however
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.