[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's wrong with genre literature?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1454732183275.jpg (622KB, 1200x752px) Image search: [Google]
1454732183275.jpg
622KB, 1200x752px
What's wrong with genre literature?
>>
File: Servants_of_the_wankh.jpg (26KB, 220x374px) Image search: [Google]
Servants_of_the_wankh.jpg
26KB, 220x374px
>>8889390
Nothing inherent, but the nature of its reader base and publishing culture generates a lot of shite.
>>
>>8889395
Agree.

+my biased opinion: Genre literature uses cheap tropes and they're usually lazily written. Genre-fiction authors sell books as products as opposed to works of art. They don't even try, they just settle with mediocre at most.
>>
>>8889390
trope-adherence
>>
>>8889874
How does one diverge from tropes?
>>
>>8890119
By not writing genre fiction. Tropes are what make the genre- though if course there are tropes in litfic too. Can't avoid them entirely.
>>
genre meaning generic is just that
it follows a formula, you read one you've read a thousand

why waste your time on a rearrangement of pieces when you could read something original?
>>
Genre fiction is produced by writers that need book sales to support themselves, whereas literary fiction is written by people that have a job, for example university teaching, or patronage.

By depending so much on book sales, genre fiction is an integrated part of the Society of the Spectacle, a product of industrial design just like TV shows, pop music, cape comics and movies, etc. only in written format.

For more on the industrialization of art: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9AbuFhT0W4

By belonging to a specific genre, the product and production are trapped in the expectations and language (i.e. muh tropes) of its related subculture. It's a dialectical, but uneven, relationship where the works can indeed influence the subcultures, but the subcultures influence the works more heavily.

For more on the topic of fans of genre fiction and their relationships: http://pastebin.com/F1rwJ2wK

I find most hilarious that genre fiction fans come up with all these conspiracies concerning universities refusing to acknowledge the existence of their beloved doorstoppers, whereas academic institutions are VERY interested in what everyone is reading, watching and listening to, their contents, their appeal, and repeatedly publish in-depth analyses of them, and not just ye olden genres' classics at that, for example:
http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/Section/id-324354.html

>>8890119
The work could discuss things that aren't imprisoned in the samsara of eternally recurrent omnipresent sets of tropes, such as the contingencies of the day, for example the writer himself, or social commentary concerning events happening in the CURRENT YEAR.

Literature can be a method of analyzing reality instead of escaping it, and obsessing over the plot of a tale of souls and swords, eternally retold.

Now if you'd excuse me, I'll end the post here given that the dragons down in my basement aren't going to slay themselves.
>>
>>8890181
God adorno was such a whiny faggot.
'Muh radio corrupting the minds of the world.
99% of what i listen to would be classified as "serious music" by him and yet he's still a faggot
>>
>>8889859
Sounds like you never read Joe Abercrombie or Mark Lawrence. Or Rothfuss. Recent fantasy books are nothing like the 80's pulp.
>>
>>8889874
>he actually unironically uses the word trope but still considers himself a patrician
Top pseud
>>
>>8889395
im definitely a servant of wankh ahahahah lol
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.