[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

JOYCE GIFT SUGGESTIONS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: piratejoyce.jpg (40KB, 337x450px) Image search: [Google]
piratejoyce.jpg
40KB, 337x450px
Ok, /lit/, it's your time to shine!
If you had to buy a gift for a Joyce lover who has read everything from him, what would you get?
>>
>>8883308
A therapist
>>
>>8883308
A life
>>
my diary desu
>>
>>8883308
The annotations to Ulysses and Finnegans Wake...seriously the amount of work he put into those books is astounding. The annotations maybe overkill but they really help clarify some of the more obscure shit for me
>>
>>8883334

Which one would you suggest?
>>
>>8883337
I want to read Joyce. Do you recommend that I buy the annotated versions of his books or just read him without any annotations?
>>
>Infinite
>Jest
>Desu
>>
Richard Ellmann's biography
>>
>>8883341
Just do a read through without the annotations first just for the sheer musicality of his prose. Even if you don't understand it all it's still just fun to read no matter it's reputation as being difficult. Don't get the annotated version just get the Gifford annotations that go along with the book line by line. It sounds tedious to flip between the Gifford annotations and then going back to Joyce I know but you don't have to read every single annotation...just think of it more as an encyclopedia to help clarify some of his inside jokes and references that would probably seem obscure to someone who isn't caught up on Greek mythology or Irish slang or Joyce's personal life. For example there's a section where Leopold Bloom takes a shit and wipes his ass with an old literary magazine...funny enough on its own but I read the annotations for that line and found out that Joyce as a teenager used to write for that magazine and that made me chuckle even more. Just adds more depth to an already immensely impressive work
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.