[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does reading fiction improve your ability to empathize with others?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1482532469001.jpg (46KB, 460x456px) Image search: [Google]
1482532469001.jpg
46KB, 460x456px
Does reading fiction improve your ability to empathize with others?
>>
It certainly can, depending on what you read.
>>
>>8881539
Would you rather read or hang out with friends and have a hearty bout of laughter over a few good drinks and a decent game of poker?
>>
>>8883197
>drinks
>poker
Eww, no thanks.
>bout of laughter
It's not a disease anon.

I'd rather be alone tbqh
>>
>>8881539
Not if it's Ayn Rand.
>>
File: deepdreamdogs.jpg (87KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
deepdreamdogs.jpg
87KB, 600x450px
>>8883222

open your mind to objectivist thought with "The Virtue of Selfishness" my man

As Kant says, all info travels for our brain, ergo, all our reality is subjective. The idea that we do things for others is the great lie of western/society in general.

Be free my man, love, don't be a little bitch boy jk no but really read ayn rand
>>
>>8883200
I can't really sympathize. There are mainly two types who surround the literature community, those who live life and write, and the ones who keep to themselves and read. I usually start writing because I like talking, and when there is no one around I speak to my self, sowing conversation and sating my need for socialization on a page.You see the aspirations of those readers who wish to write but never will or want to, since they were never meant to. Its a personality type, intrinsically innate.
>>
>>8883226
That's fair, I can't disagree with that. Even in social situations I'm not a strong talker. I read more than I write because I don't feel any strong desire to communicate my thoughts or ideas, whether directly in person or indirectly through writing. I pretty much live in my head.
>>
>>8883224

Are you sure you really read Kant? Because this seems the classic misinterpretation of Kant that high school students do after reading the two page summary on their textbook
>>
File: 1480668148504.jpg (91KB, 600x509px) Image search: [Google]
1480668148504.jpg
91KB, 600x509px
>>8883224
>>
I read more books by women and minorities and it's helped me empathize a lot with their experiences (as a straight white guy). Made me sort of more of a sjw but one based around empathy rather than ideology.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.