[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Corto Maltese /lit/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

Is drawn literature (genuine term used by Hugo Pratt to describe his work before the term graphic novel was coined) /lit/ material?
>>
Not sure but man I love those
Are they known in murrica?
>>
>>8880365
I love Corto Maltese, but I'm the only English speaker I know who enjoys them, they've only recently been translated but I saw the film of Corto Maltese: La Cour secrète des Arcanes and I was hooked.
>>
>>8880371
I figured that to an american its aesthetic may seem almost caricaturally "eruopean". But I love it too. Really well-drawn and stylish and well-writen. In my eyes it's "literature" yes, certainly great art.
>>
>>8880386
I'm glad someone else shares that opinion as I can't find somewhere on 4chan outside of /lit/ where it would be worth discussing the series.
>>
>>8880389
In europe they're highly regarded
A great director could make a great film adaptation. The source material itself is really cinematic, the dialogue sharp, he would just need to have the vision to translate the style to compositions
>>
>>8880399
Honestly I feel like the style of Tokyo Drifter would work well with a Corto Maltese film.
>>
>>8880364
No desu
As I and plenty of other anons have already said in similar threads, comics are comics, with their own vocabulary and possibilities. Calling them literature is nonsensical. I could also call them "drawings with a story" and "/ic/ material".
Corto is the shit, tho. Has anyone itt read Mu?
>>
>>8880440
That's what I thought, but Corto is more than a mile above the regular comic in terms of writing.
>>
>>8880458
Well, I love Corto, but saying that is a bit shortsighted. There are shitloads of good comics out there, even capes.
>>
>>8880458
And? It is still a comic. I don't really understand what your point is here.

>>8880471
>even capes.
Recs pls. No Moore or Miller, of course.
>>
>>8880484
Brace for a shit ton of le bald scottish crisis man

If you're a former reader or at least familiar enough:
Death of Captain Marvel
Green Lantern and Green Arrow (any O'Neil / Adams, really)
Wolfman Titans
Claremont X-books (my personal favourite being New Mutants with Sienkewicz)
Morrison's Bat epic
O'Neill Question
70s Marvel as a whole has been my new interest though, will probably spending my holidays reading Grunenwald Cap and Englehart's Doctor Strange.

If you've seen cartoons and movies, but nothing beyond that:

Arkham Asylum, All Star Superman, Animal Man and Doom Patrol, all by Grant Morrison
Madman by Mike Allred
any collaboration between Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale, but specially Long Halloween
Shade, the Changing Man by Peter Milligan

If you can't barely name any capes and your knowledge of superheroes is the same as a misguided soccer mom who ends up buying RoboChangers Unite instead of Transformers for christmas:
Marvels and Kingdom Come, both by Alex Ross and Kurt Busiek
Justice League: New Frontier, by Darwyn Cooke
All Star Superman (for different reasons)
Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon

Also, I can't recommend Flex Mentallo enough, best metacommentary on capes I've ever read and it has legit bought me to tears in the past.
>>
>>8880526
Thanks. I'm totally unfamiliar with this area of comics and should give it a chance already.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.