[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Southern Gothic Literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: southerngothic-small_7940.jpg (105KB, 250x247px) Image search: [Google]
southerngothic-small_7940.jpg
105KB, 250x247px
Hi /lit/, Eurofag here with a stupid question.

Do you have to be American to "get" Southern Gothic Lit?

I just started reading Flannery O'Connor's stories, which is my first foray into the genre (if it can be called that), and while l greatly enjoy the writing, l can't help like l'm missing out on something.

Does anyone know what l'n talking about or am l being stupid?
>>
>>8876467
I''m from the northeast. Generally americans don't know so much about cultures from other parts of the empire so I'm about as in the dark as you. Besides the fact that southern religous culture is half dead, you have to consider that this is a sort of microcosm of a time period which has past. I don't know if anyone will "get" what you're missing.
>>
in short: it helps.

check out this clip I think it'll help at least a little

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtTlCywIuoE
>>
>>8876467
I sometimes get that feel reading about Russian culture when I'm reading Gogol or Tolstoy. I'm sure I'm missing out on stuff but I get the basics, aristocrats are decadent, idle and frivolous, peasants are ignorant and grasping but sometimes possess some humble folksy wisdom.

Southern gothic has a similar divide between post civil war aristocrats in decline and poor whites. Then they throw niggers into the mix which just adds another level of confusion.
>>
>>8876467
> Flannery O'Connor
>and while l greatly enjoy the writing, l can't help like l'm missing out on something.

protestants are retards, how can you miss that?

o'connor southern gothic = look at these dumb protestants and their dumb spirituality

faulkner southern gothic = look at these dumb protestants and their dumb oedipal complexes
>>
>>8876467
Southern Gothic is fucking trash. Think of it like the house in that picture. It was alive 50 years ago and now has been left to rot.

It was never good though.
>>
>>8876543

don't be stupid.
>>
>>8876557
>Southern Gothic is fucking trash

You're fucking trash.
>>
>>8876467
I think As I Lay Dying lays out southern gothic in a way that helps you understand the genre as a whole. It's also an incredible novel.
>>
>>8876467
You don't have to be American but it does help to know a little about the South and about the Gothic.
>>
>>8876467

No, just like you don't need to be brown to 'get' Marquez or despondent to 'get' Tolstoy.

You just need to get it.
>>
>>8876543
Flannery mocked atheists too but I'm not butthurt about it, you silly prostitute.
>>
>>8878044
"brown" and "despondent" are not regional genres
>>
>>8876557
nice you cucked yourself
>>
>>8878093

Oh they totally are, though. If you could rate your naivete on a scale of one to ten I can happily explain this for you.
>>
>>8876467
I took literature classes at a private college in the Midwest, and a lot of midwestern people seemed to struggle with it.
I think the big thing a lot of people who don't know the South well tend to forget is no matter how shit it may seem within a story, or in general, there is still a sense of pride they have in it. A lot of it stems from trying to figure out why they're proud to be from this place, or from people choosing stupid reasons to be proud of it. Mix this in with it being a part of the country that has been in some variety of flux since the Civil War, so the meaning of what it is to be Southern keeps changing.
Just my two cents, I'll probably get called a retard.
>>
>>8879673
Exactly this.

A lot of the conflict forms between definitions of pride, set against a backdrop of multiple levels of devastation.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.