[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Iliad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: the iliad.jpg (19KB, 293x475px) Image search: [Google]
the iliad.jpg
19KB, 293x475px
so you're telling me a ten year war was fought a single (albeit hot) woman?
>>
You don't understand the greeks. Restart with the Greeks. Understand the culture before reading the book with the mindset of a modern idiot.
>>
File: Bent over.gif (3MB, 290x218px) Image search: [Google]
Bent over.gif
3MB, 290x218px
>>8876024
It's a myth, anon.
Wars are fought over gold, land and slaves.
>>
>>8876024
No no no, THE HOTTEST WOMAN. Like come on OP.
>>
>>8876024
No, a ten year war was fought over a breach of the law of hospitality which was persistently renewed by the refusal to return Helen and Menelaus's riches and provide compensation for the war. Otherwise put, by breaking hospitality and raiding and raping, the Trojans had sundered themselves from the social contract, breaking in turn the duties the Greeks had towards -them-, and become fair targets for raiding and raping. They mean the same thing.
Also by the time the Greeks had sailed to Troy they had expended so many resources that anything short of sacking the city or sucking it dry of every drop of wealth would bankrupt them.
>>8876041
No, this really didn't matter. It's not like Helen was either the Greeks' or Trojans' public toilet slut. The average warrior had no interest in her except as a symbol- he was after respect, glory, and either defending his wealth & life or taking it from the enemy.
>>
>>8876165

Did you read The World of Odysseus?
>>
>>8876024
No, it was fought due to Agamemnon's pride.
Did you even read it?
>>
>>8876024
Read Herodotus, it gets better...Paris was never in Troy, but in Egypt the whole time.
>>
File: 1481671893484.jpg (34KB, 642x792px) Image search: [Google]
1481671893484.jpg
34KB, 642x792px
>>8876024
>>8876036
>>8876041
Is this the best the teenagers of today have to offer?

Go back to r9k and b
>>
>>8877285
No, but I have Age of Bronze.
Also bits of Van Wees's book on Homeric world, I can't remember the name.
>>
>>8877341
Paris and Helen didn't really exist though, did they? Aren't they just part of the story and not real historical figures?
>>
File: tumblr_njl644N7gg1qzdpr4o1_500.gif (683KB, 500x339px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_njl644N7gg1qzdpr4o1_500.gif
683KB, 500x339px
>>8879578
>anything Homer says
>not 100% historically accurate
>>
>>8879629
>doubting the father of history
>>
>>8876024
It wasn't just about helen, it was about Agamemnon's and Paris' pride.

>Hector and Priam were the most noble of all
;_;
>>
>>8879647
>doubting some degenerated Egyptian ""priest"" in a tourist trap
>>8879656
Too noble- they hadn't the courage to deal with Paris as he deserved.
>>
>/lit/ thinks The Iliad is a historical account.
Suddenly everything makes a lot more sense.
>>
>>8879656
>Hector
come on now, his only redeeming feature was that he wasn't quite as bad as paris
>>
>>8880456
TAKE IT BACK
>>
>>8880835
No.
>>
>>8879662
she obviously wouldn't have been in troy

maybe not egypt but definitely not in troy, that's retarded as herodotus rightly points out
>>
>>8876024
>completely missed the message regarding hubris and pride.
>>
>>8881046
>doubting Homer
kys
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.