[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lit/ think of Delmore Schwartz?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 220px-Delmore_Schwartz.jpg (12KB, 220x289px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Delmore_Schwartz.jpg
12KB, 220x289px
What does /lit/ think of Delmore Schwartz?
>>
hew?
>>
>>8874815
I liked In Dreams Begin Responsibilities and a few of his poems. The Heavy Bear Who Goes With Me was breddy gud
>>
Shockingly inconsistent, but I believe (and hope) that he will be remembered in coming centuries as the most inconsistent of the great poets of the English language. Just recently discovered him myself, and am quite impressed. "At a Solemn Musick" and "In the Green Morning, Now, Once More," as well as "In Dreams Begins Responsibility" are alone enough to make him important.
>>
finally a non-meme thread
I don't know anything about him but bump
>>
>>8874815
I only read In Dreams Begin Responsibilities and that was pretty good and it was, because it introduced an unknown, new voice, important at the time. He also got a 20-minute or so long standing ovation after reading the story at a university in New York. I like him because he greatly influenced Lou Reed, not wasting words and being concise.
>>
Read In Dreams and a selection of his poems. His poems are for the most part shit, theory laden and obtuse. Some of his stories are as well, but sketching out the NY jewry intellectual dickwaving is much more interesting in prose, in some ways it seems more interesting than Lost Generation Paris. The story 'In Dreams' is pretty good and there are a couple other good stories in it as well.
His persona/background is dumb and people who mythologize him, a la Bellow, need to be put out. But I am indeed jelly of this boytoy publishing in Partisan at 19 or whatever.
Thanks for making this thread though, my library didn't have anything else by him, other than his letters, which I didn't plan on wasting my time on, but just checked and ND released a new selection of his works this year, "Once and for all : the best of Delmore Schwartz", which I plan on reading.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.