[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can I, a schmuck, make money and earn a living as a writer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

How can I, a schmuck, make money and earn a living as a writer?
>>
>>8870932
Not if you're a white man. We're oppresses
>>
>>8870932
Identify as another race or gender and start writing crappy YA novels.
>>
>>8871019
They don't HAVE to be crappy. I'm becoming v. interested in subverting and deconstructing the form of YA, much like Joyce did with the traditional novel or Moore with the graphic form.
>>
wouldn't count on it
>>
>>8871091
>subverting and deconstructing the form of YA
>what is Lolita
>>
>>8871091
Shut up, mang. Stop taking literary advice from TV Tropes. They make subversion, deconstruction, etc into buzzwords
>>
>>8871091
Subversion and deconstruction are passé and for idiots who think that being different automatically means being good
Hint: everyone is subverting or deconstructing something. The real patrician choice is reconstructing shit that everyone thinks is cliche ie the knight in shining armor that saves the princess
>>
File: jebus.png (248KB, 883x490px) Image search: [Google]
jebus.png
248KB, 883x490px
>>8870932
Just let this shit sink in for a moment man
>>
>>8873322
doesn't even make me flinch. this is what sells, everyone knows that. if you want to make "art" be prepared to be and stay poor. it's the sacrifice. . . And the market for genre fiction is so oversaturated it's even harder to break through than literature
>>
>>8873356
Nah. There's plenty of examples of rich successful people making "art" throughout history. The idea that artists are poor/misunderstood/social outcasts is a true only upto an extent. This meme was perpetuated mainly by the life of Vincent Van Gogh and similar sob stories
>>
>>8873356
>if you want to make "art" be prepared to be and stay poor. it's the sacrifice

Artists are talented despite being poor, not because of it
>>
>>8870932

Commission smut fiction anonymously, you may not be able to do it full time, but you'll make a little extra cash doing something you like and your writing skills will get better. When you're competent enough to attempt your first novel, then you can adopt a Pseudonym
>>
>>8870932
You could do what Cassandra Clare did. Write good quality fanfiction with a recognizable style to gather your own little fanbase (she wrote the Draco Trilogy and the (highly recommended) LOTR Very Secret Diaries). Then move on to conventional YA fiction citing your fanfiction as work experience. In her case, she got a deal for the Mortal Instruments, which was successful enough to get a movie
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.