[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is her worth purchasing? If so, what is Jack Kerouac's best book?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: uewb_06_img0401.jpg (11KB, 228x279px) Image search: [Google]
uewb_06_img0401.jpg
11KB, 228x279px
Is her worth purchasing? If so, what is Jack Kerouac's best book?
>>
>>8866695
He*
>>
>>8866695
He's dead, you can pirate his works.

I would read On The Road to see what the hype/meme is about and be a bit disappointed perhaps depending on how old you are, then read The Dharma Bums to see him try to sincerely seek some virtue and meaning and then read Big Sur which is his best and touching and serious work about when he is an established famous author but conflicted and addicted.

I'm not sure how well Big Sur would work if you didn't read the former two though.

For a flash of his gimmick spastic jazz writing I would perhaps try The Subterraneans or maybe Lonesome Traveler if you want short stories.

His spoken word stuff with Steve Allen on piano is also worth a listen, gives you a good sense of what he's trying to do with his prose.
>>
>>8866695
I think On the Road, The Subterraneans, The Dharma Bums, and Big Sur are all you need to read to get Kerouac. if you dig these, feel free to go on from there.
>>
>>8866695
Yes, personally I think The Dharma Bums is his best work. But it's all good.
>>
>>8866744
I can pirate any book, but I'd rather have a physical copy, ya know? It's a different experience.
>>
>>8867962
I would recommend getting over the attachment to that experience so that you can enjoy e-books equally and vastly expand the books available to you instantly without cost.

That way you can spend the money on better things.
>>
>>8867962
My introduction to Kerouac was "The Dharma Bums" on kindle. I loved it so much that I bought it to have a physical copy.

>>8868722
What is important to him may not be important to you, as I'm sure it goes the other way, too. You both get different levels of value out of physical copies of books, so while your opinion is equal of merit as is his.
>>
>>8866695

What would her worth be purchasing, if it were purchasing? Why would her worth purchase at all?

Hehe
>>
>>8868745
>What is important to him may not be important to you, as I'm sure it goes the other way, too. You both get different levels of value out of physical copies of books, so while your opinion is equal of merit as is his.
Sure, but it's worth considering because I used to be of the same opinion as him.

After I forced myself to switch, I'm more free and have more money. And suprisingly I find myself at the point now where a book being physical is just a burden. It's heavy, it can get damaged, it gets dusty, you can stain it, it takes up space, it's harder to hold with one hand et cetera.
>>
>>8868757
I enjoy both, if I read an e-book that I really love, I'll buy the book. I don't mind paying for it. I'd rather help pay for the art to keep it alive than steal it for free.

That is unless the book is public-domain or free on Kindle, then I don't care if I download it and don't buy it.

I get my savings cutting out other non-necessities because I enjoy being able to read printed text. I enjoy the wrinkles, small tears, creases, dust, and stains. It adds character to a read book.

I understand the space issue if that is important to you. To me, the bookshelves don't take up too much room and add a value of warmth and enjoyment to my place.

That said, to get back on topic, yes OP should read Kerouac regardless as to whether it is an e-book or a printed text. Shit, if money is an issue, buy a used copy.
>>
>>8868779
There's also libraries, Kerouac is probably in every one of them.
>>
>>8868829
True, buy or don't buy. It makes no difference to me.
>>
>>8868722
By the way, I have a Kindle, and enjoy both, I just prefer physical books over e-books. That's all.
>>
>not one mention of Visions of Cody
>all these The Dharma Memes posts

Welcome, reddit!
>>
On the Road was a sort of life changer to me, in that it really encouraged me to live voraciously and fearlessly. I read it when I was 19 though-I think if you are under the age of 30 or are in some sort of life slump, you could enjoy it.

BUT you need to check out his American Haikus. We talk all about the "Beat poets" and then when asked to name their work, people talk about Kerouac prose or Howl. These are great works, but at least listen to the recording on YouTube of Kerouac reading to jazz. American Haikus inspired me to write poetry more.
>>
>>8868779
>I enjoy both, if I read an e-book that I really love, I'll buy the book. I don't mind paying for it. I'd rather help pay for the art to keep it alive than steal it for free.
You think paying for the work of a dead author would "keep art alive" and that downloading it for free is stealing?
>>
File: hoffman-steal.jpg (70KB, 400x681px) Image search: [Google]
hoffman-steal.jpg
70KB, 400x681px
>>8869290
>>
Maggie Cassidy ;_;
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.