[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 43

File: fearytales-jf.jpg (3MB, 1476x1851px) Image search: [Google]
fearytales-jf.jpg
3MB, 1476x1851px
Fantasy
>Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/qkz73sR.jpg
>General:
>https://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg
>Flowchart:
>https://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg

Science Fiction
>Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
>General:
>https://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg
>NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>https://i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Thread: >>8859410
>>
File: 1464193791065.png (4MB, 1600x1992px) Image search: [Google]
1464193791065.png
4MB, 1600x1992px
First for chartfags
>>
File: caltrapsoftime.jpg (28KB, 260x400px) Image search: [Google]
caltrapsoftime.jpg
28KB, 260x400px
Anyone else read any of his stories? I hear it's similar to Ted Chiang, about language and time.
>>
>>8866678
Plenty.
There is Codex Alera - Elemental Spirits
Coldfire Trilogy - Whatever you can imagine
Abhorsen - Walking dead, ghouls, etc

The things about these worlds is that yes those things are common, it doesn't mean people don't run when they show up.
>>
>>8866708
Sounds gay
>>
>>8866735
Caltraps is a pretty gay word yes.
>>
Speaking of Ted Chiang, anyone want to discuss the Babylon short story?

So was their word like a fucking donut or something?
>>
File: hanginggondola.png (33KB, 917x1186px) Image search: [Google]
hanginggondola.png
33KB, 917x1186px
1st for cucking akka+fucking esmy so hard she goes all retarded
>>
>>8866788
I wanna put my dick in pussy...
>gonna die a virgin
>>
>>8866788
Dunyain genocide best day of my life
>>
Locke Lamora is starting to get even worse than anime for me with this Wicked Sisters shit

>I speak fluent hatchet

I just need to suck up these last 200 pages and cleanse my palate with some Wolfe or something
>>
god the edge in A Darker Shade Of Magic is so sharp you can make shallow cuts on your wrist with it (the MC has an evil black eye and literally slits his wrists to use magic) but it's the only thing I managed to find with comfortable prose and a good sense of aesthetic. Even The Name Of The Wind didn't have that.

If Theodore Sturgeon read fantasy instead of scifi he'd realize 90% is an overly generous estimate
>>
>>8866748
Arthur C. Clarke wrote a story with thr exact same plot (Wall of Darkness) in 1949 but Chiang improved on it thematically and stylistically. Pretty good example of how originality isn't everything, I much prefer Chiang's story.
>>
Any good sci fi about colonization? Preferably without FTL. I'll post a couple I've read

Crossfire by Nancy Kress has bland characters but has a nice first contact plot line. It isn't much of a colonization novel, since most of the time the point of view is away from the colony. The sequel is horseshit, like a big fuck you readers. "Look at this nice world I've built here. Are you looking? Now watch as I set it all on fire! Just making a point..."

Coyote by someguy. Bland characters, blander world. Nothing happens except for a guy who is awoken midtravel in the ship and can't sleep anymore. Worse sequel.
>>
I don't know shit about fantasy but the OP pics for these threads have been awesome lately.
>>
File: 1482260032565.jpg (334KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1482260032565.jpg
334KB, 1600x1200px
Repostan from last thread

To the guy that was writing the story about a god using a busting-through-your-chest-like-alien moth plague to drop the number of people in a certain area below some number. Did you get the idea from pic related?

This was at the back of my head when you talked about it.
>>
>>8867037
KSR's Mars trilogy of course.

A lot of Ben Bova's stuff in the Grand Tour series deals with exploration and colonization of the solar system. I haven't read the most recent books but apparently they deal with a expedition to another solar system.

The third Old Man's War book uses a space colony as a setting, though it's not focused entirely on it. (series is worth reading though)

Star Colony by Keith Laumer is not worth reading, it's one of his post-stroke books IIRC.
>>
Anyone know of a good scifi or fantasy book/series that is set mostly or entirely within one city?
>>
>>8867187
Chasm City once it gets going, a good standalone bit of hard scifi cheese.
>>
>>8867116
Bakker's series also has this idea within it.
>>
>>8867187
Glen Cook's Garrett PI is about a ex-marine private eye in a low-fantasy setting. Sometimes he leaves the city but mostly everything takes place in it.

Same for a lot of the Discworld books, especially the Watch focused ones.
>>
>>8867187
Dresden Files
>>
>>8867254
That was made before bakker publishe. He probably heard of that monument and put it in his story.
>>
>>8867187
Altered Carbon, if I remember correctly.

>>8867281
Arg
>>
I'm looking for scifi primarily about the crew/captain of a single spaceship in a big traditional scifi world that's not too far on the hard scifi scale.

They can be doing anything on said ship and I'll probably like it.

I've read
>Some CJ Cherryh
>Some of Expanse
>Culture
>Everything Elizabeth Moon
>That Undying Mercenaries series some anon recs all the time (thanks)
And liked most of it.
Really I'm just looking for fun action or intrigue within that setting

Any recs?
>>
File: kvothe.jpg (87KB, 800x591px) Image search: [Google]
kvothe.jpg
87KB, 800x591px
Is he a Mary Sue? If so, why does he work so well as a character?
>>
>>8867325
They fly to Europe in AC
>>8867187
Jemisin's Inheritance trilogy is almost entirely set around one but the city itself isn't really the focus
>>
>>8867332
> some of CJ Cherryh
bruh, you better be in a severe love-hate relationship with that bitch, as her stuff is oscillating between horribly bad and quite enjoyable, HARD.

You might enjoy Liu Cixin Three Body books, though only the third of those has "adventures aboard a spaceship". It's really great, but also really depressing, and (not memeing) it makes your neurons fire.
>>
>>8867325
>Arg
Wtf does that mean?

Also altered carbon has him hoping the universe.
>>
>>8867336
He doesn't work well as a character

Why would you claim that
>>
>>8867332
try GRRMs a thousand worlds books,
especially the one with the biological engineering corps seed ship, " Tuf Voyaging "

also, John M Harrisons " Light ", " Nova Swing " and the third book whose name escapes me at the moment.
>>
>>8867187
Cherryh's Angel With the Sword. Would reccomend.
>>
>>8867332
>Undying Mercenaries
Thanks for reading senpai. Try Neal Asher books like the agent cormac series. Or Bv Larson's imperium trilogy.

Maybe hull zero 3? If you don't mind some horror in your scifi.
>>
>>8867332
Joe Haldeman, The Forever War
spends large parts of the protagonist in space and shipside.
>>
>>8867187
Perdido Street Station.
>>
>>8867332
Nova by delaney.
>>
>>8867363
If i could clearly articulate why I think he works as a character, I wouldn't need to ask.

Perhaps it is just the fact that the story is told from his perspective, and the reader gets a direct line to his thoughts, perhaps the lore of the world and the extensive allusions and foreshadowing Rothfuss puts into it, that I enjoy, rather than Kvothe's persective of said world.

But I'm really not sure.
>>
>>8867404
NEVER READ ANYTHING BY SAMUEL HOGG DELANEY
>>
>>8867417
He's real weird, and many of his books are bad for sure, but Nova is free from his chronic obsession with sexual deviancy.
>>
>>8867357
I actually read almost a whole Dresden Files book once. I don't remember why I did that.

>>8867348
>They fly to Europe in AC
Yeah, I forgot that. But it's really brief, isn't it?
>>
>>8867430
Is that what arg means? You read something once and can't remember why?
>>
>>8867439
Means it's so bad it actually triggers me that someone would recommend it. I should've put the H at the end, 'argh'.
>>
>>8867447
>dresden files
>bad
You are one of those moorcock lovers aren't you?
>>
>>8867452
What's good about it?
>>
>>8866941
I didn't hate Darker Shade but there were a lot of little things that made me roll my eyes. Bought the second book because it has higher ratings everywhere and I like the setting enough that I want to see some Black London happening.
>>
>>8867187
The City and the City
>>
File: Icarus_hunt.jpg (224KB, 318x475px) Image search: [Google]
Icarus_hunt.jpg
224KB, 318x475px
>>8867332
The Icarus Hunt.

There's at least one other fan on this board.
>>
>>8867521
Tone, attitude, pace, setting, Bob.
>>
>>8867587
>zahn
>>
>>8867598
Read it and then argue you fruit
>>
Is Dying Earth worth reading past the first book?
>>
>>8867619
Cugel the Clever is the best Dying Earth.
>>
File: 216447.jpg (45KB, 329x500px) Image search: [Google]
216447.jpg
45KB, 329x500px
>>8867598
>implying Ninjas vs Aliens is bad
>>
/sffg/ is there a limit to how powerful you can make the main villain before THEY become a mary sue?

I was thinking of having a villain who can control electromagentism (including light) and uses it to among other things create flesh golems, bend the iron in blood, staple his wounds closed and even bring himself back to life. He's ultimately killed by being consumed by a black hole
>>
>>8867740
If you give the character too many powers, or powers that feel undefined, then the use of those powers will likely smack of narrative convenience inserts. Those always rub me the wrong way, at least.
>>
File: starchart_sel_color.jpg (571KB, 1588x2500px) Image search: [Google]
starchart_sel_color.jpg
571KB, 1588x2500px
>>8866719
People South of the Wall freaked the fuck out when monsters came, though.
>>
>>8867740
Depends on how you write it. I think the whole mary sue thing came about because it's not believable for one person to be so good irl. Which is fucking stupid seeing as it's fantasy and not real life.

If this person has all those abilities, then abilities will have to be common to some extent in your world. Or maybe the guy is an alien from some far reaches of the universe. He has some advanced tech that allows him to control his body's aura(magnetic field) what you talked about ensues.

You can write about literal fedora wearers using katanas to kill people and pull it off. It all depends on how good a writer you are.
>>
>>8867598
>>8867605
>>8867648
Is Zahn frowned upon here? I read his Thrawn stuff and while is might be star wars EU it was what defined it as something that wasnt shitty
>>
>>8867770
what if all the powers are based on the same core principal but are just highly creative applications of said power?

>>8867786
the powers aren't really common, but there are at least three other characters who gain powers for the same reason he did, though they kind of vary in strength. Another character is strong enough to tear reality apart with their bare hands, while another gets a power that's comedically weak
>>
>>8867855
>what if all the powers are based on the same core principal but are just highly creative applications of said power?
I'm sure there are ways to pull it off, but it strikes me that the odds are pretty high it will turn out shitty.
>>
>>8867855
>the powers aren't really common, but there are at least three other characters who gain powers for the same reason he did, though they kind of vary in strength. Another character is strong enough to tear reality apart with their bare hands, while another gets a power that's comedically weak
This sounds like a comic book premise, and not in a good way.
>>
>>8867897
This. I was thinking fantastic 4 when I read this >>8867855 like I said, it all depends on how good a writer you are. What did you write before? Are you a published author brainstorming some ideas? Or is this your first ever everything?
>>
>>8867897

I'm making it sound like they all got superpowers in an accident but that's not the case. A group of warring gods are investing in human hosts in an attempt to kill each other, because their own nature prevents them from doing so themselves

>>8867909
It's not the first thing I've ever written but I'm not published yet. at the moment I'm just kicking around an idea that's been in my head for a while. I'm working on something much smaller with tuned-down prototypes of him and another character but admittedly it's not going well. There was a while where it felt like it was going really well but circumstances have led me to realize it may be my worst abortion yet
>>
File: 14822990856091367517452.jpg (19KB, 290x261px) Image search: [Google]
14822990856091367517452.jpg
19KB, 290x261px
>>8866820
t.cuckamian
>>
>>8867922
>. A group of warring gods are investing in human hosts in an attempt to kill each other, because their own nature prevents them from doing so themselves
Sounds like Sanderson meets Grace of kings
>>
>>8868006
never read any Sanderson, but I am that idiot who keep recommending Grace of Kings to everybody

in reality, that mix is probably a lot more patrician than the bullshit that actually inspired it so sure, let's go with that. Sanderson meet Liu, a match made in hell
>>
>>8868003
Name a single person who has benefited from meeting a Dunyain

Pro tip: there isn't one
>>
File: RScottBakker.jpg (51KB, 226x300px) Image search: [Google]
RScottBakker.jpg
51KB, 226x300px
>Well first off, you should know that I don’t write fantasy – only hacks write fantasy. My books are about the triumph of the human spirit which just happen to have everything you would find in The Wheel of Time.
>>
>>8868056
Saubon.
Stop oppressing minorities shitlord
>>
>>8868118
>Saubon
>he hasn't read TGO

Wew lad
DONT TRUST HI-
>>
>>8868080
>And so what that I smoke weed
>>
>>8868080

Do they have spankings?
>>
>>8868121
So what. He went from literally no one who got spanked by conphas to become hero of holy war, king and an exalt general thanks to kellhus.
Knowing him, he probably much enjoyed waring and fucking for 20 years too.
>>
>>8868160
*warring
>>
>>8868160
And then he was discarded when it was convienent, with nothing to show for it, because that's what the Dunyain do to people. And in that final moment, he obviously regretted everything he did for Kellhus
>>
File: images.jpg (24KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
24KB, 512x288px
I just finished reading the Commonwealth saga. I really enjoyed it but Jesus Christ Melanie and Dudley chapters were a struggle to read. She is a fucking turbostacey who gets everything handed to her on a silver platter and Dudley is such an insufferable cuck.

Alien battles were fucking dank though

>Mfw relativistic suicide ship attack
>>
File: 1380049801448.jpg (803KB, 3000x3071px) Image search: [Google]
1380049801448.jpg
803KB, 3000x3071px
>>8867187
Seconding: Guards! Guards!
And other books from the Discworld series set mostly in Ankh Morpork (the other Watch books, the onse with Lipwig)
>>
>>8868336
Watch>Susan Death>de Worde>Lipwig
Not saying he's terrible, he's just eclipsed by the other Morporprotagonists.
>>
File: libertydreadnought02rr0.jpg (653KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
libertydreadnought02rr0.jpg
653KB, 1280x720px
>>8867332
Alastair Reynolds has some. Pushing Ice, Revenger, many of his other books are heavily set on spaceships, but not exclusively. On the Steel Breeze and Chasm City have generation ships.

If you are willing to endure a cock-tease of a generation ship book with an ending that might be unsatisfactory to you, read Aurora by KS Robinson. I prefer my generation ships form Reynolds, but KSR makes some interesting points.

If you're really desperate for books set on spaceships try the "funny" and "up-beat" Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. Maybe you'll like it. I didn't.

>>8868345
But he's the one we got an okay movie of in the form of the 4-hour Going Postal. Watch TV-series when?
>>
>>8868196
Melanie chapters triggered my sexism because of that 23rd century pussy pass
>>
>>8868184

Not everyone can be saved kiddo
>>
>>8864847
I am about to read it. I made that post at 2 AM in the morning.
>>
>>8868400
And yup, I read it and I fucking loved it.
>>
>>8868080
Did he really say that somewhere? Or is it just the impression you constantly get from reading him?
>>
>>8868413
Asimov really has power when he has small groups talking science, doesn't he? Try C-Chute next.
>>
Is there anything out there close to 1984, but people are ruled by a computer?
>>
>>8868426
Probably going to do Foundation, I've put it off long enough.
>>
Old Man's War is fun
>>
Thrawn trilogy worth a read? Doesn't seem to be much else other than that
>>
>>8868458
It was pretty fun. Don't know about the sequels.
TV series soon maybe.
>>
Are there any books with a worse evil than the inchoroi , dunayn? Etc
>>
>>8868430
Closest is probably agent cormac by neal asher.
>>
>>8868419
He did say it but it's obviously a joke if you read the whole interview.
>>
Guys I've been reading Stephen King's salem lot and I discovered that I have a new fetish.

Are there any books with a spencer or a woman who is over the age of 40 and a virgin? It would also have to include her getting fucked by a younger man. And I don't want a bare mention then they awake. I want grrm style sex. Devious and degenerate.

Thanks.
>>
>>8868754
>grasping absolute is evil
fucking worldborns
>>
>>8868971
I think 4channers would defend someone they saw rape, mutilate, rape, torture, rape, butcher, kill with their own eyes just to be contrary
>>
>>8868992
Only if they were raping and butchering Dunyain
>>
>>8868992
They follow the shortest pass. They don't think about what's good or bad. That's hardly evil
>>
are there any good pirate books?
>>
>mfw "I, Adolin Kholin, cousin to the King and third in line to the throne of Alethkar, have shat myself in my Shardplate on three separate occasions."

Brandon is slowly, slowly morphing into GRRM. If he retains his work ethic, this may not be a bad thing.
>>
>>8869211
Ship Breaker.
>>
>>8869103
Moral relativism is the worst meme

Dunyain are universally abhorrent. Just because they're humanity's response to the horrors of the Consult does not make them any less evil.
>>
>>8869266
Why ?

If the destruction of the world is on the line, what's a rape or murder compared to that?

Kellhus never shows the will to kill or the satisfaction from it. It's purely logic. He looks at the problems, enters his "probability trance" if needed and chooses the shortest and best way to proceed.

Killing a whole city, conquering the known world or any other thing...that's but a detail.
>>
>>8869367
Because we have no assurance that Kellhus actually wants to save the world. The Dunyain wield people as weapons, as a tool to get the desired result. And what has been the Dunyain's goal? To move beyond that what comes before. So ask yourself, would Kellhus sacrifice the world if it would allow him to escape causality? He rejected the Consults plan in TTT, but that doesn't mean he didn't make a new plan to escape damnation

Because we don't know Kellhus's endgame, it's impossible to say if the ends justify the means.
>>
>>8869211
INDA
N
D
ADNI
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIciOLD3iO0

lmao people here are unironically discussing this shit
>>
>>8869677
makes me want to read it desu
>>
>>8868572
The sequels are good enough on their own. I actually read the third book first, then the first and second, because I love Space Robinsonade/colonization stories.

Human Division and End of All Things are collections of novellas focused on different characters, but mainly soldiers and diplomats. I liked the diplomatic team ones, they reminded me of the Keith Laumer Retief series in a way.
>>
>>8869716
>so dark
>so grim
>so edgy
I might read it too just to see how cringe worthy these books are
>>
>>8869231
He's still too afraid to mention boobs.
>>
I feel like I'm not making progress, like I've been writing on and off for five years and still haven't created anything halfway publishable

Is it time to stop?

>>8869806
not a bad thing sex for raw appeal is tastless and always uncomfortable. The lines between porn and literature should be thick as tree trunks
>>
>>8869848
Work smarter. You gain skill through practice but if your story doesn't hold together you're just doing busy work.
>>
>>8869848
First step would probably to identify what's wrong with what you're writing.
>>
>>8869857
>>8869865
My creation looked so good just a few weeks ago, now the entire thing looks like poorly-written garbage
>>
>>8869266
>be a dunyain monk
>live in an old refuge like your ancestors have for 2000 years. Never bothering anyone just working on self improvement and enlightenment.
>senpai says i must go to deal with my blind oversensitive father
>on my way discover that some rape fetishist cabal want to awaken ancient evil and bring apocalypse
>humans are oblivious about them and even if they've known they wouldn't do shit becouse they're cucks who don't know what came before
>decide to take matters in my hand and walk the shortest path, because consult isn't fooling around I'm constantly bothered by the smell of unwashed anuses
>unite and save holy war when all hopes are gone by sacrificing myself
>cucks think you're evil in flesh when actually that's aurang

I don't like kellhus but I'll laugh my ass off if in the end he turns out to be good guy
>>
>>8866941
try Mark Lawrence. Best prose I've read in fantasy, and very cool, realistic concept of a world.
Brace for more edge though.
>>
>>8869872
Diagram it. Who are your characters, what do they want, what happens in the story, how does it relate with motivations. You don't need to post it here, just get the skeleton out so you can examine it.

See if you can find bits in it that were cool mental images that you desperately wanted to find a home for but didn't turn out to fit well, and are warping everything else around them.
>>
>>8869891
So you only read him?
>>
>>8869891
I gave it a shot. It was the pointiest edge this side of shadow the hedgehog
>>
>>8869895
So you don't know how to judge prose?
I bet you love flowery hacks like Guy Gavriel Kay or heavy-handed stuff like Janny Wurtz' wars of light and shadow
>>
>>8870064
It only starts out that way though, gets a bit more nuanced in the next books.
Especially his Red Queen's War trilogy strikes a good balance, mainly because the mc isn't a ruthless psycho.
>>
>>8869891
Seconded.
Mark Lawrence is not for the faint of heart, at least his first trilogy. The second one is not as dark, it has a lot of humor and awesome prose and characters.
>>
>>8869885
That was a good one.
I actually like Kellhus, he proves people are lemmings who fall for a bit of charisma.
>>
>>8869872
Finish the draft, edit it the best you can and recruit some random beta readers from /lit/ and reddit. If the majority of them complain about something, fix it.

My first drafts were so embarrassing I put them in a usb stick and put it away. I managed to take it from an utter pile of shit to something decent enough that people actually cared about the characters thanks to feedback from a bunch of random fantasy nerds. You can do it too anon.
>>
Are there any good fantasy books about phylacteries? I though Grisamentum in Mieville's Kraken was a good one, but the book didn't really focus on him.
>>
>>8870178
That was actually one of the good parts about the Harry Potter plot.
>>
File: 1482356906859.jpg (37KB, 400x386px) Image search: [Google]
1482356906859.jpg
37KB, 400x386px
>>8869885
>defending Dunyain fucking shits

Was assraping Proyas part of his master plan?
>>
>>8868968
Any takers? My degeneracy needs bedfellows.
>>
>>8870415
Too hard to find man

I can only think of a few books of older women younger male sex

Let alone deflowering a spinster
>>
>>8870415
There's threads on /d/ with fetish discussion
>>
>>8870470
Any books with older women who didn't have sex in a while and a young stud or virgin gets a hold of her?
>>
>>8868968
Italian porn is loaded with nun fucking but I don't know if it extends to their /lit/.
>>
>>8870667
You want to go in the erotica thread for that desu
>>
>>8868003
What's with all the Dunyain hate?

>>8868080
>everything you would find in The Wheel of Time
Except for the killer prose, gritty setting, graphic sex and gorefest
>>
>>8869744
Also has plenty of philosophy and graphic rape scenes which triggered the Tumblr feminists
>>
>>8870771
How much rape can there possibly be? Isn't it just a Dune ripoff?
>>
File: IMG_0597.jpg (632KB, 1772x1688px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0597.jpg
632KB, 1772x1688px
Hey sffg. I don't usually come here. What sci-fi book would you recommended to someone who really likes 'Roadside Picnic'?
>>
>>8870801
It's not. It's loosely based on the Crusades, nothing to do with Dune.
There isn't that much rape but it was enough to cause a Tumblr shitstorm.
>>
>>8870819
Kefahuchi Tract trilogy.
>>
When writing does anyone else get really fixated on the stupid, meaningless shit and not pay attention to the plot or character arcs?
>>
>>8870082
Red queen's war is shit. Stop at the broken empire trilogy if you are going to read at all.
>>
>>8870886
honestly all that stuff looks so bad and is written so poorly. Prince of Thorns, Locke Lamora and Darker Shade of Magic are edge incarnate, Mistborn, The Name of The Wind, The Age of Myth and so many others are boring and comedically generic, most of what remains is either corrupted by cringey cliches or bad writing, whittling the whole mess down to a few measly droplets that are at all readable, and even those are still forgettable and have no characters worth remembering

It's not that I'm a cynic, I just can't find anything enjoyable
>>
>>8870819
The Doomed City
>>
>>8870819
Childhood's End is the obligatory answer, but I'm pretty interested as well
>>
File: Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg (2MB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg
2MB, 2000x3000px
>>8870919
Have you heard about our Lord and Savior chartanon?
>>
>>8871035
Get thee behind me, false prophet. >>8866687
>>
I don't get all the /sffg/ hate on Locke Lamora.

The first book seriously BTFO of most fantasy offerings in the last couple of years and no amount of complaining about the swearing can change that.
>>
>>8871035
I've attempted at least a third of these. The only ones I managed to finish a single book of were Dresden, Iron Druid and Cabal. Of those, Dresden is the only one I've read through entirely (including side stories)

my taste is picky and bad, I know that, but if I could choose what I like, I would

>>8871064
It's not the swearing so much as the fact that speech patterns feel stilted and unnatural. The swearing just happens to be where I noticed it the most
>>
>>8871035

Why is the Lightbringer series on there but not the Night Angel trilogy? The latter may have been edgy, but at least it didn't get lost in its stupid rainbow magic system.
>>
Any good Japanese or Chinese style fantasy?
>>
>>8871165
Do I need to say it? Grace of Kings. It's amazing
>>
>>8871156
what was edgy about it other than the title and cover?
>>
>>8871226
>that scene where the guy threatens to cut off Logan's balls to use as a coin purse, then throw him in a prison pit full of "sodomites" so the last thing he'll feel is them raping him as he bleeds to death
C'mon now, Breeks is nothing but 14-year-old edge.
>>
>>8871165

Under Heaven and River of Stars by Guy Gavriel Kay
>>
what are the quintessential books of new weird?
>>
what are some of the best paranoid sci fi books?
pdk aside, i'm looking for more modern takes.
>>
>>8871255
i never read it. i was just curious
>>
>>8871226

Immortal ninja super-duper assassins in a world of child rape, taxidermied women, villains who kill for sport... Don't get me wrong, I actually liked the books, but I could shave with them.
>>
>>8870819
Watch Darker than Black the anime. It's really good and has a similar feel to Roadside Picnic.

You might also enjoy these shorts
I don't really enjoy Clarke's long stories but the 9 Million Names of God is fantastic: http://downlode.org/Etext/nine_billion_names_of_god.html

As is Asimov's Nightfall http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/fwalter/AST389/TEXTS/Nightfall.htm

The Hyperion Cantos doesn't have a similar feel to Roadside Picnic but it's also fantastic.
>>
>>8871327
And Solaris by Lem. Enjoyed that one too.
>>
>>8871064
>one person is all of /sffg/
I like Locke Lamora.
>>
Goddamn the training in Old Man's War is funny
>>
>>8870257
First of all it wasn't rape. Proyas secretly wanted to be manhandled for years
Secondly it was part of his plan. Whatever decision proyas will have to make in TUC rape will have deciding factor on that decision
>>
So lads I got my copy of The Wizard and im like 5 chapters in and since Abel "dies", goes to "heaven" and comes back how integral is christian stuff to Gene Wolfe's work? I realize he's pretty faithful so I wanna know how much I should be putting these parables together
>>
If there was a button that killed a billion sentient beings every time you pressed it (somewhere in the universe), but also wired 100$ to your bank account, how many times would you press it?
>>
Just finished "The Dragon Reborn" and it was shit. "The great Hunt" and "The eye of the World" a thousand times better.
>>
What authors write "cinematic" scenes? Bonus points if the plot or characters take a secondary role to scene composition
>>
>>8871474
Probably never. I mean, call me sentimental, but a life's got to be worth more than 0.00001 of a cent.
>>
>>8871474
That's not enough money to bother.

I might press it for environmental reasons though.

>cull 6 million mouth breathers
>become the hero the world deserves, just not the one it needs
>>
>>8871474
>>8871474
id press it till i died desu
>>
>>8871345
I'm not talking about one person. I've seen it over and over again from dozens of people.
>>
>>8871474
I wait till I get really angry, then press it seven times
>>
>>8866663
I remember seeing something about this on a thread in the past but didn't have time to see the answers.

What series have unique races? Rather than races that are pretty much the same as tolkein stereotypes.

New races with new ideas rather than "not elves" or "not orcs"
>>
>>8871469
It's integral in an expansionary sense, but not in a limiting sense. Don't feel penned in by the metaphor because it's still just story, but if it pulls you out in a transcendent way then go with it.

You will love the ending.
>>
File: Modern Fant Recs.jpg (2MB, 1956x2329px) Image search: [Google]
Modern Fant Recs.jpg
2MB, 1956x2329px
>>8871156
Have version 1.0
>>
File: 1481497095274.jpg (433KB, 1680x1260px) Image search: [Google]
1481497095274.jpg
433KB, 1680x1260px
>>8871469
>how integral is christian stuff to Gene Wolfe's work
Very integral tbqh
>>
>>8871524
>on lit
>can't read
Not even surprised. He said a billion not a million.
>>
File: hh stack.jpg (4MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
hh stack.jpg
4MB, 1836x3264px
check out what came in today. got the load for 10$. i'm as happy as a pig in shit. already had three of them but paid less for the lot than i did for the singles.
>>
>>8871627
Sriracha level spicy meme here
>>
What are some fantasy novels with dark/deadpan humor in it
>>
>>8871763
The Black Company by Glen Cook
>>
What is the Nail of Heaven?
>>
>>8871787
enormous space station that shot down the rape aliens
>>
>>8871686
>i'm as happy as a pig in shit

Is that you, Stephen?
>>
>>8871814

>many cataclysms appear to have wracked the Promised World.

What did Bakker mean by this?
>>
>>8871814
>Sejanus went to the nail of heaven after he died
So basically, it was the harrowing of hell.
>>
How do I write a goodhearted criminal type hero who isn't actually goodhearted he's just not a pure douche?

e.g. would save a kid from being hit by a train but not because he feels any need to save kids from stupid deaths
>>
You guys have any opinions on F Paul Wilson?
Read The Tomb a while ago and it was alright, I liked how underhanded the supernatural elements felt right up until the end where it was fully ahead
>>
>>8871891
So you're looking for some sort of down to earth type who was brought up to do the right thing just because it's the right thing to do?
>>
>>8871891

You're talking about a person who cares nothing for reason, only sense/intuition. If he preserves something, it's only ever for the sake of a feeling.
>>
Whelp. I decided to read my first book since high school and you people kept shilling me Elantris but it is just not for me. Either that or i got memed into wasting time on a book with cringe tier characters.

I have two other books though, Red Rising and The Traitor Baru Cormorant.

Which do you guys think I should I get into first? If I like Red Rising I'll probably read the whole series before touching Baru. Is Baru good enough that I should make it a priority before starting the other series?
>>
>>8870849
>Kefahuchi Tract trilogy.

can we talk about this? Has this been talked about to death? Gerrmanfag here who came to /lit/ just this past month.

Now, I read "Light" I believe when I was 13, and I specifically read it on the night of New Years Eve 2003 (the German Translation). I have re-read it every once in a while, usually re-reading it once a year or so. Now, I still vividly remember lots of the stuff in that book, it really did make an impression on me, with the circus and the madam, with the protagonist, Seria Mau, and Ed Chianese and Michael Kearny.

However, the second book was more or less an appendage in my mind, merely exploring some niches of the world and narrative left over by "Light", but a coherent narrative nonetheless.

Now, the third book, "Empty Space," was.. just shit. It didnt have a proper plot, it didnt have a proper end, just "a mystery" that was kind of explained. And it's probably my fault, too, because the undertitle "a Haunting" on the cover of the book I hadn't even noticed before I had gotten through with it and was so thoroughly disappointed.

What's /lit/s opinion?
>>
>>8871891
Just an average human being.
>>
>>8871787
Either this>>8871814
Or the home world of the consult that was destroyed
>>
>>8870742

>Bakker
>"killer prose"

Sorry I'm ESL, does "killer" mean "purple as fuck, pretentious and slower than a stoned snail" by any chance?
>>
>>8871480
it just keeps getting worse. if you like the exploration and traveling group aspect with a dash of the eerie/supernatural of eye of the world try dawn of wonder by jonathan renshaw.
>>
>>8872183
>MOST VIOLENT OF ALL MEN
>BREAKER OF HORSES AND MEN
how is this not killer prose?
>>
File: wie-wig first law.png (2MB, 2016x778px) Image search: [Google]
wie-wig first law.png
2MB, 2016x778px
Can we have some of these?
>>
>>8872264

>most violent of all men

How can you read this and not cringe? Literally how?
>>
File: goddamnit howard.png (843KB, 1600x620px) Image search: [Google]
goddamnit howard.png
843KB, 1600x620px
>>8872276
>>
>>8872283
Because it's socially autist, gay barbarian saying it.
It's just comedy relief. Get over it
>>
>>8872299

>b-but it's shit ON PURPOSE

Sure, whatever.
>>
Where can I find a nice analysis of the Book of The Long Sun? I am retarded so I think I'm missing a lot of subtext, implications and such.
>>
>>8868121
>DONT TRUST HI-

That part honestly spooped me pretty bad with the tieback to book two.

>>8872264
>BREAKER OF HORSES AND MEN

He certainly breaks men. I won't be satisfied until he buttrapes Kellhus.
>>
Anyone here read RA Lafferty's stuff?
>>
>>8872340
HIS NAME IS ARAMINI
>>
File: 1481582312604.jpg (47KB, 478x342px) Image search: [Google]
1481582312604.jpg
47KB, 478x342px
>>8872340
>>8872367
>>
>>8872371

>mfw I made that meme never expecting it to catch on

Marc, if you're reading this I am sorry.
>>
File: 1481243242363.png (96KB, 557x605px) Image search: [Google]
1481243242363.png
96KB, 557x605px
>>8872379
I need more BotNS memes.
>>
File: 1470640245162.jpg (133KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1470640245162.jpg
133KB, 600x600px
>>8872387
>>
File: 1459880070410.jpg (167KB, 1056x1072px) Image search: [Google]
1459880070410.jpg
167KB, 1056x1072px
>>8872387
>>8872391
>>8872371
>>
>>8868806
It's a reference to a Terry Goodkind answer in another interview.

> First of all, I don't write fantasy. I write stories that have important human themes. They have elements of romance, history, adventure, mystery and philosophy. Most fantasy is one-dimensional. It's either about magic or a world-building. I don't do either.
>>
>>8868003
>achamian portrayed as a slightly Jewish looking white man
>He's fucking brown
Jesus Christ.
>>
File: fitness jew.jpg (84KB, 669x879px) Image search: [Google]
fitness jew.jpg
84KB, 669x879px
>>8872445
He is a muscle wizard in my head canon.
>>
>>8872441

Wow, I thought Bakker was an asshat but Goodkind goes above and beyond.
>>
>>8870742
>Except for the killer prose, gritty setting, graphic sex and gorefest

He is literally retelling historical accounts of the crusades with elves in them.
>>
In the First Law setting, how do things work?
Is there a God, or more Gods? Are there humans and non humans? Where to wizards get their power from, is it words, is it innate, is it divine?

Like, how does the world work.
>>
>>8872458
sounds like sanderson would be more your go
>>
>>8872463
Making sense shouldn't be Sanderson's exclusive domain.
>>
>>8872463

It's funny because you say that like it'd be a downgrade and yet Stormlight Archive is better than anything Aberedgie ever did.
>>
>>8867325
The sequels to Altered Carbon were absolutely shit though
>>
>>8867332
Revelation Space. The ship Nostalgia for Infinity is so haunting
>>
>>8871928
Yes, the third had a tone shift. It felt like the author had moved on and was going back to the setting with his new story, while the first two were more of a kind.
>>
>>8872511
The Black Company series has two such shifts in overall mood and structure, and it doesn't suffer as much.
>>
File: 3e9.png (698KB, 600x640px) Image search: [Google]
3e9.png
698KB, 600x640px
>>8872449
I think of him looking a bit more like this.
>>
>>8871926
What do you like in books / in general?
Do you like magic? Maybe futuristic technologies? Maybe battles? Supernatural creatures? GRI APPROVED books?___ Historical fiction?

We suggest elantris because that is inline with what the person wanted. From your likes you might want different books. Maybe you would need more serious books instead of lighthearted stuff.
>>
>>8872528
You mean when they changed narrator?
>>
>>8872605
The narrators changed a few times, and so did the tone of the books, they got lighter at times, darker at others, moved between trying to be more "realistic" to being more action movie, and so on.
Comic relief crept in at one point, felt out of place considering the writing so far.
>>
File: 1478669558032.jpg (435KB, 1600x1340px) Image search: [Google]
1478669558032.jpg
435KB, 1600x1340px
>>8872276
>>
>>8872340
>I think I'm missing a lot of subtext, implications and such.
Just look at what wolfe is doing here >>8871627 and use that as context when reading.
>>
>>8872450
>trusting any author with Terry in their name
You will learn
>>
File: pitMHbE.png (37KB, 853x625px) Image search: [Google]
pitMHbE.png
37KB, 853x625px
>>8872371
>>8872387
>>8872391
>>8872395
>>
>>8872458
Read the fucking trilogy and find out. If you still don't get it read again.
>>
>>8872615
It was different people. Do you expect me and you to tell an event we both saw the same way?

3(or 4) different people wrote the annals at different times, 2(or 3) of them were amateurs who didn't have years of practice. What did you expect?

It's like you guys take books at face value.
>>
>>8872642
>3(or 4) different people wrote the annals at different times, 2(or 3) of them were amateurs who didn't have years of practice. What did you expect?

A consistently good series of books.
>hurr its shit on purpose
Still shit.
>>
>>8872655
>hurr
Go back to /v/ or reddit then. It doesn't seem like books are for you.
>>
>>8872683
>getting triggered by ancient memes
Go back to /tumblr/ then, it doesn't seem 4chan is for you.
>>
>>8872685
>implying I'm triggered by hurr
Poster (you) was just a fagget and he should leave.
>>
>>8872466
belated reply, but that wasn't my intent -- I prefer sanderson to abercrombie

it's just with that one specific criticism, sanderson is who springs to mind as the antithesis of that
>>
>>8872528
Black Company does peter out in the end, though. He should have stopped writing earlier.
>>
>>8871165
Dragon In Chains by Daniel Fox

>>8871272
I haven't read all these so don't blame me if any are shit:
Perdido Street Station by China Mieville
City of Saints & Madmen by Jeff Vandermeer
The Etched City by KJ Bishop
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Thunderer by Felix Gilman
Palimpsest by Catherynne M. Valente
The Book of All Hours by Hal Duncan
>>
>>8872768
>recommending books you haven't read yourself
No wonder this general is shit, people recommending shit they themselves can't vouch for.
>>
Are there any SFF that include /ss/?
>>
File: tfw no dorcas gf.png (1MB, 2000x1403px) Image search: [Google]
tfw no dorcas gf.png
1MB, 2000x1403px
For the guy requesting BotNS memes
>>
>>8872849

>Dorcas gf

Heh, more like gm.
>>
>>8872851
It was going to name it 'tfw no qt gilf' but it felt weird
>>
>>8872786
Other anon asked for a list of books in the category, not recommendations
>>
Give me 3 books/series that are similar or better than bakker but use the same style and themes.

Bonus points, no popular books that are mentioned constantly
>>
>>8872919
This. They weren't necessarily recommendations per se. Just giving some options to the guy who asked.
>>
>Alliance rising (2018)
holy shit, fucking merchanter book WEW
>>
>>8873034
At least it's not another Foreigner.
>tfw have to reread entire series every time I get a new sequel
>>
>>8873070
>not reading those cliff's notes kinda summary
why do you not value your time?
>>
>>8873088
Keeps me off the street I guess.
I used to reread my entire cache of books every year or two because they required less intention than library books (which I also read).
>>
>This story (the story of the shattering of Adonalsium, as told by Hoid) is next-to-last in my sequence of cosmere novels (though it’s first chronologically). So don’t expect it until Stormlight 10 is done.

>Status: A long way off. Though it might still beat that one book by that other author.

Where were you when Sanderson absolutely SAVAGED Martin and how will GRRMfags ever recover ?
>>
>>8872623
>forcing this meme in a Pratchett neigborhood
>>
>>8872786
I used to recommend The High House before I read it.

Now I recommend it even more.
>>
>>8872843
A Deepness in the Sky.
>>
>>8873134
I never knew /ss/ was /spidersex/
>>
File: robertjordanbs_wheeloftime1-min.jpg (2MB, 4837x1530px) Image search: [Google]
robertjordanbs_wheeloftime1-min.jpg
2MB, 4837x1530px
>>8871480
I fell for the meme too.

The guy who said the 3rd one is the best is a fucking retard.
>>
>>8873113
R E K T
E
K
T
>>
>>8873141

Four and Five are the actual best. Take it from somebody who has suffered through the whole thing.
>>
>>8873133
It has a sequel too, called the 'False House'.
>>
File: catzz.jpg (29KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
catzz.jpg
29KB, 640x640px
>>8873152
I really liked the second. What really put me off in the third was:
Lack of Rand
Having to endure those annoying bitches
Nothing happens jpg. until the very end
I almost felt I was reading the second book again, why the hell do they always have to meet in the end? And why do the bitches always get their asses in prison?
>>
>>8873141
I read the whole series in bulgarian, and because of the way shitty translations work I can't actually discuss it online at all, none of the names and terms match up.
>>
>>8873140
The spiders are pretty wholesome aside from degenerate off-season breeding within marriage, it's Pham Nuwen that gets an early start.
>>
>>8873113
I wish Sanderson would stop working on that YA shit. You can tell even he thinks it's terrible but does it because it's a money spinner.
>>
>>8873161
>Having to endure those annoying bitches

Boy oh boy. You ain't seen nothing yet. If "bitches" and "nothing happens" put you off, I strongly discourage you from reading onwards. Proceed at your own peril.
>>
>>8873172

I admit in shame that his pitch for that Apocalypse Guard thing sounded a lot of fun.
>>
>>8873153
There's actually a third book, too, pretty recently published. He had to find a new publisher I think.

Haven't found them on my pirating sites, though. no anarchism, just poor
>>
>>8873174
Unlike some other anons I've seen here, I can actually relate to Mat Rand and Perrin. I really like most of their stuff. The only females I really enjoy are Moiraine and the Aiels.

And I never thought the memes were this real:
>Thugs her braid
Holy fucking molly, I cringe inside every fucking time he says that. It completely breaks immersion to me.
>>
>>8873177
Wait, really? Damn, I thought the guy disappeared. I read the two books a long time ago and have only vague recollections, but I'll have to look the third one up. Thanks for letting me know!
>>
>>8872859
>not wanting to fuck a granny with a hot body
You must be gay
>>
>>8872937
>do my leg work for me
Go search yourself fagget.
>bonus points
Am I getting something if I help your lazy ass?
>>
File: 1420759485034.png (117KB, 272x257px) Image search: [Google]
1420759485034.png
117KB, 272x257px
>>8873161
The Wheel of Time actually develops a good story with some good characters.

The main problem is that it's poorly executed. The end of Book three was so quick I couldn't even savor it.
Wasted potential. I think most fantasy authors would do a better job.
>>
>>8873192
>a granny

Not a problem.

>my own granny

Problem.
>>
>>8873191
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to them too. I'm not nearly well-read enough in classic fantasy to pick up all the references but I've read enough to notice how well it carries their atmosphere, and how affectionate Stoddard is for them.

I thought I'd love it for the setting, which I did, but when I look back on it I remember a hero who actually enjoys hero work even when it's dangerous, and also classic bromances. Great stuff.
>>
File: sandersonsons.jpg (95KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
sandersonsons.jpg
95KB, 1024x576px
>raising three kids
>still makes time for 400,000-word novels and 90-120 days a year of travel time promoting them
What's your excuse?
>>
>>8873205
well he's clearly had sex three times, so he's got more going than I have
>>
>>8873205
sounds like his wife does all the work with the kids tbqh

regardless, the amount he writes is impressive
>>
>>8873211
How many books do you need to sell to break modernity's curse on single-income families?
>>
File: 1482088196822889743421.jpg (20KB, 200x320px) Image search: [Google]
1482088196822889743421.jpg
20KB, 200x320px
>>8873205
I write quality staff
>>
File: starchart_threnody_color.jpg (470KB, 1588x2500px) Image search: [Google]
starchart_threnody_color.jpg
470KB, 1588x2500px
>>8873113
>No real motion on this one, folks. I’m sorry. We’ll get a second book some time, but don’t hold your breath. The cosmere has a long outline.

FUCK YOU SANDERSON
WRITE THE DAMN WARBREAKER SEQUEL ALREADY IT'LL TAKE YOU LIKE A WEEK

>>8873172
Fucking same.
>I want to write this colossal ~30 year meta-series
>I'm going to take breaks to write garbage nobody asked for
>Hurr I'm a durr

Threnody novel reveal was the only good part of this entire 'update'
>>
>>8873113
>GRRM
>ever writing another book
>>
File: Cz8wletXcAA90nt.jpg (56KB, 670x465px) Image search: [Google]
Cz8wletXcAA90nt.jpg
56KB, 670x465px
>The real reward is supposed to be Writing Excuses going ad-free, so don’t sign up just to get the fiction.

>mfw ads for Writing Excuses used to be fun, frivolous additions
>mfw they were never very intrusive
>mfw Kowal and the Torlocks have sucked and monetized everything that was ever fun about that podcast
>>
>>8873239

That was Sanderson's point. By saying that Stormlight 10 will still come out before TWOW, he's basically saying TWOW will never come out since Stormlight 10 is set for approximately 2037.
>>
File: starchart_drominad_color.jpg (682KB, 1588x2500px) Image search: [Google]
starchart_drominad_color.jpg
682KB, 1588x2500px
Actually, knowing Sanderson and his friendship with Rothfuss, that could very well be a friendly 'jab' at Rothfuss and not a direct fire at GRRM.

:-(
>>
>>8873249
>Stormlight 10 is set for approximately 2037
none of us will be alive then
>>
>>8873252
Not everyone is a 70 year old Dino anon.
>>
Any SF reminiscent of Metroid Prime?
>>
>>8873261
Ready Player One
>>
>>8873277
Please, I don't need to be triggered today.
>>
File: 1354396373179.jpg (3MB, 1223x1529px) Image search: [Google]
1354396373179.jpg
3MB, 1223x1529px
>>8873256
>implying the youth will be spared
>>
>>8873279
"He that asketh for video games shall receiveth them"
>>
>>8873279
ROBOTECH
>>
>>8873306
>The Star Blazers
>>
>>8871480
There were good parts in Dragon Reborn but Rand was hardly even in it and there was way too much Elayne and Edgwene. Also not Nynaeve's best moment. But don't worry, it takes like 6 books but they eventually get some comeuppance for how they acted in book 3
>>
>>8873161
>And why do the bitches always get their asses in prison?
Cause it's routinely shown that despite how snooty and powerful women are in the series, they can rarely manage anything without men. They're just too proud to admit they need them. He's basically inverted the usual cliche where it's men who are foolish and proud and think they don't need women to get by. In fact it was men acting that way that fucked up the world so bad, they went off by themselves to seal the Dark One and got their half of the One Power tainted, and then women Aes Sedai were left to manage the whole world by themselves and did a terrible fucking job of it because they were convinced the best way to rule people was sit in their tower and nag rulers with passive aggressive advice. Typical women.
>>
Are there any fantasy/sci-fi novels with a particularly well written, threatening antagonist? What type of genre doesn't really matter, just books with really cool villains
>>
>>8873680

Foundation and Hyperion come to mind.
>>
>>8873680
Bakker
>inb4 kellhus is a good guy
>>
>>8873706

>Bakker

He said well written.
>>
File: lel2.jpg (99KB, 798x798px) Image search: [Google]
lel2.jpg
99KB, 798x798px
>>8873706
>Bakker
>Well written
>>
True or false, /sffg/:

Sci-fi and fantasy are not serious art forms because they have fans but no critics.
>>
>>8873712
>>8873717
Are you faggots implying that kellhus is badly written?
I'd like to hear what makes you think that

>>8873725
What are you even talking about
>>
>>8873740

It's not Kellhus that's badly written senpai. It's the whole series.
>>
>>8873725
False
>>
>>8873761
Maybe so but anon asked well written antagonist not books
>>
>>8873725
You don't need critics to be a serious art form.
Literary fiction is largely harmed by its critics.
>>
I need a recommendation for some lighthearted fantasy.

I just finished the Mistborn trilogy, had to skip 2/3 of the last 2 books because of how stupid "Flared his steel like a bonfire" sounds. Need something less dark and bad to clear my palette.

I've already read Pratchett, but something like him, but with more structure is what I'm looking for.
>>
>>8873904
>Need something less dark and bad to clear my palette
>I just finished the Mistborn trilogy
>I need a recommendation for some lighthearted fantasy.
>less dark
>Mistborn
>dark
Your reddit is showing fag.
>Brandon "no sex before marriage, and when you do marry don't talk about it" Sanderson
>dark

Read malazan then you will know what dark is.
>>
>>8873924

I meant less shitty murder scenes and edge lord villains. I guess I should have been more clear.

Hell a good main character would be good enough.
>>
>>8873904
The Dying Earth.

Get your dictionary handy though.
>>
I see people complain about "pretentiousness in prose" but I'm too inexperience to know what they are talking about.

Can someone give two examples of the same sentence but one being a pretentious version
>>
>>8874133
You already asked in the last thread.
>>
>>8874138
i see a question in the previous thread asking about good vs bad.

However some people seem to like pretentiousness. I often see "it's pretentious because that makes it good" as a counter to people complaining about it
>>
>>8873950
And beware of Chun the Unavoidable.

>>8873800
SFF has excellent criticism available. Language of the Night and On Fairy Stories are both worth about a million teacup tragedy exegeses, and Tom Simon by his own bachelor Canadian self is worth more than every gender studies faculty on planet Earth.
>>
I keep coming up with new ideas to shove into my story but I don't actually end up creating a sensible plot
>>
>>8874262
Keep a separate file for your orphan notions. Feed your plot too many ideas and it founders.
>>
New Thread

>>8874361
>>8874361
>>8874361
>>
>>8874262
Better start keeping an idea repository. I use a single massive text file broken into sections as my master list. I keep a couple journals and also sometimes just write things in random text documents, but I review those entries a few days later and if I think they have potential I add them to the master list so I can easily find them if I want to use them.
>>
>>8871496
Matthew Reilly. Its Michael Bay with bigger set pieces because they don't actually have to build/film them.
>>
I grew up reading star wars expanded universe books mostly and other random fantasy books i grabbed from the library. Read a bunch of books in the redwall series as a kid too.
Picked up the wheel of time and realized it fucking sucked and was always the same shit while trying to shove a strange gender agenda down your throat.
Watched the first season of game of thrones then picked up the book series and read them all, it was good at first but I slowly lost my patience with the story as everything unraveled and stopped seeming to be going anywhere interesting any time soon.
I read the first book of The Witcher series and enjoyed it. I'm reading the first book of The Black Company now as its recommended in the sticky but the narration is really barebones and dry.

I'm sure my taste is shit but I wanna read more stuff and I'll check out whatever is suggested to me.
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.