[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Prescriptivism vs Descriptivism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

If your goal is uncompromising self-expression or originality than shouldn't you respect all Linguistic rules and Literary devices? The more abstruse your mode of externalization, the fewer people will care about what you have to say; and past a certain threshold there's no guarantee that even a single person will resonate with it. All descriptive roads lead to the same dead end of negative value.
>>
>>8865844
>all these big cuck words

Try the redpill
>>
>>8865844
Prescriptivism and descriptivism isn't about whether there ARE rules, it's about whether you give more weight to top down or bottom up (prescribing or describing)
>>
>than
>tfw you know exactly when to use "then" and "than" but your muscle memory randomly types one or the other regardless
>>
>>8865844
>The more abstruse your mode of externalization, the fewer people will care about what you have to say; and past a certain threshold there's no guarantee that even a single person will resonate with it

You'd think that someone who understands this would also know not to vomit a thesaurus onto their post.
>>
>>8868789
>words that are not used in south park are /thesaurus/
>>
>>8868967
No I agree with him. There are simpler ways to put that. OP is probably some poor sap whose fallen for the academic meme
>>
>>8869351
Other than "fewer" (which should be "less") there is nothing wrong with that sentence.
>>
>>8869351
>>>reddit

>>8869358

No, it should be fewer.
>>
>>8866962

Which why I said that all descriptive roads lead to the same dead end of negative value.

>5 replies
>0 meaningful things said

Thanks guys.
>>
>>8865844
me on the left
>>
No.
>>
>can jerk each other off several times a day about garbage meme books like gravity's rainbow
>can't answer a bog-standard question
>/lit/ - 2016
>>
>>8869358
>>8869913
It should be less if he means the caring will be of a lesser degree and fewer of he means the number of caring people will be fewer.
>>
>>8869918
It's a fundamental flaw in what you're claiming bro. What you've written there and above is meaningless, mostly through conflating a bunch of shit.
>>
>>8869913
Who are the "fewer people"?
>>
>>8870008

You can count people, therefore he should have used fewer. Less is for uncountable things, like flour or water.
>>
>>8869983
>conflating a bunch of shit.

Like what?
>>
>>8870031
Read the sentence again. "Fewer" refers not to the number of people who care, but the degree to which they care, which is uncountable.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.