[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ambiguity / frustration

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Hello guys.

I've had a problem bothering me for quite some time already and I'm wondering what's your take on it.
When you read texts that are ambiguous and complex in nature, be it essays and philosophy or poetry and prose, how do you deal with parts that you do not understand. I'm only 18 and haven't read as much as I'd like to, so I guess I'm inexperienced, but this really irritates me because I am afraid of missing stuff or applying my preconceived ideas/thoughts instead of extracting from the work.

I am well aware that oftentimes there are multiple meanings or that the ambiguity is intentional (surrealism, absurd theatre,...), but I face the same fears when reading stuff like the Bible, Rimbaud, many philosophers or art theorists and I've always dreamed of reading Joyce in English (I'm not a native speaker) but his writing seems to require a very fluent and well read reader.

What do you recommend?
>>
>>8864578
>What do you recommend?

Remember that you dont need to understand everything you read for the first time.
Complicated or deep stuff like philosophy can take months to really start making sense to you. Sometimes its best to just keep reading.
>>
>>8864609
Thank you for your answer. So if there is a certain paragraph that you don't get, you brush it off and continue reading?
Wouldn't this method prevent one from getting more knowledgeable?
>>
>>8864616
not the same guy, but you can re-read an entire chapter infinite times if you wish to.

Also if a text as multiple meanings you don't need to get them all - not the first time you read anyway.
>>
>>8864621
Thank you. Also, I have massive problems with concentration while reading. I have ADHD but mostly it is because I'm addicted to randomly navigating the internet and my attention span is reduced thanks to this. Does this improve with more reading and less internet or did I fuck myself up permanently?
>>
>>8864637
I'm no medic but if you get into the right habits it will most likely improve your concentration
>>
you whole conception is wrong.

just keep reading, im sure overtime, if you read quality stuff, your mind will change that conception, false problems will vanish, and real questions will emerge.

just be patient and confident, youre on the right track.
>>
>>8864681
Thank you for your reassurance :)
Would you mind explaining what about my conception is wrong and what are those real questions?
>>
Eh, somewhat memorize it and try to fit it with the rest. Sometimes you're not meant to immediately understand shit.
>>
>>8864762
lol that was cute. ones conception is not visible nor questionable from within. there is nothing to question actually. maybe i used an inaccurate word, for the issue is precisely that it isnt 'wrong', cause it aint meant to be right, it is just an interpretive model with practical ends.

all this of course cant be understood by mere words, so let me use a little image: say a man has been given a car but he was told it is a radio. he will then keep it in the parking using it only as a radio. his conception of the object is limiting the use he gives to it. the car might be a top car, but as long as he still thinks of it as a radio the car wont move... you might even try giving him all types of cars, nothing will do. now, what has to happen for this guy to change his idea of the object?
>>
I have a similar problem actually, I'm German and fairly good at reading English literature but reading Ulysses fucked me up. I'm weirdly obsessed with capturing the full meaning of every sentence and it took forever to read a page. There's this sense of insecurity about if you're inability to comprehend is caused by the complexity of the narrative or just simple language issues.
>>
>>8864578
>I'm only 18
If you cannot read now you probably never will
>>
>>8864788
You explain to him what a car is and guide him in his car discovering journey...?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.