[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the smoke has cleared, what have you read this year

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: gass.jpg (27KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
gass.jpg
27KB, 300x300px
Now that the smoke has cleared, what have you read this year that you'd recommend? What was a disappointment?

Recommend
>Yukio Mishima - Temple of the Golden Pavilion
I can't recommend this enough
>Roberto Bolano - 2666
This is one of those books that's going to be seen in the same stride as Gravity's Rainbow, Infinite Jest, The Recognitions, Ulysses, etc. a few decades from now
>William Gass - Middle C
Happiest I've ever been memed

Letdown
>J.M. Coetzee - The Childhood of Jesus
Terrible book, don't waste your time
>Hermann Hesse - Siddhartha
Expected a lot after all the hype on this board. An OK read, but only because it's so short.
>>
File: 1479184726640.jpg (77KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1479184726640.jpg
77KB, 1200x900px
Recommend
>Nabokov - Pnin
Beautiful prose, hilarious, sad. It really has everything I could want in a novel.

> Dostoevsky - Demons
Slow start but really the last 500 pages (esp last 200-300) are some of the best writing of his. Kept me on the edge of my seat while receiving philosophical enlightenment.
Letdown
> Nabokov - Lolita
I know most of you have already read this and I'm late on the game, but what a piece of horseshit. The prose is overwhelmingly rich, to the point of losing its effect. I get it, H.H. is a pretentious anti-hero...but Nabokov is able to be way more tasteful than this, and without the edgy pedophilia meme.
>>
>>8864067
>filtering your experince of a novel through buzzwords
>implying Humbert's prose ever loses its force
>implying it is Nabokov the one writing the novel

It's ok if you don't like it, but do better criticism next time.
>>
>>8864067
I disagree with you on Lolita.

Will make a proper refute when I'm not drunk and think properly.
>>
>>8864081
Hey dumbshit.

>Sorry I didn't use nice JSTOR words to filter my experience through.
>Try listening to a symphony for once, ever hear of Ludwig van? You don't keep the music full force the whole time, jackass.
>written by Vladimir Nabokov

Try again, good sir. Merry Christmas to you too.
>>
>>8863975
Now that you've read Middle C read The Tunnel. It's like Middle C on crack.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.