[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a few bucks to spare. I already decided on what to buy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1478819834853.png (1MB, 640x900px) Image search: [Google]
1478819834853.png
1MB, 640x900px
I have a few bucks to spare. I already decided on what to buy in regards to political philosophy etc.. Now I want you guys to recommend me some fiction.

So far I have:

the stranger by Albert Camus

Deutschstunde (german lesson) by Siegfried Lenz

the catcher in the rye by jd salinger
>>
File: dfw_happy.png (155KB, 301x313px) Image search: [Google]
dfw_happy.png
155KB, 301x313px
Do you have a moment to hear about our Lord and saviour, David Foster Wallace?
>>
>>8859113

No. He seems kinda cute tho
>>
>>8859113

Should I read infinite jest over Christmas break or will it take longer? Give me 3 reasons why you think its good.
>>
>>8859097
Give Stoner by John Williams a try. When I came here I've already read most of the books /lit/ likes to meme about (and the great majority is ok and nothing more), but Stoner really got me. Touching book, great writing, a dynamic read and one of the most beautiful endings I've read.
>>
>>8860469
that book made me want to kill myself when i finally read the ending, fuck, i don't wanna end up like him
>>
>>8859113
>>8860469

Already read infite jest and stoner. Is the pale king worth it?
>>
>>8860487
I understand you're new to reading so don't seats your time just yet with that kind of literature. It isn't worth it. If you're new, tell me what did you read already so I can recommend.
>>
>>8860490

I don't really know what you mean with "that kind of literature" but I'm happy if you have any recommendations. Anyway, I'm somewhat new. When it comes to philosophy I read quite a bit, not so much when we're talking about fiction. I read all of Shakespeare, all of Kafka, Faust 1 and 2, about 3 dostojewski novels, Stoner, Infite jest, a bit of the greeks (Odyssee, Illias...), Traumnovelle, Ulysses, don Quijote and the Divine Comedy.
>>
>>8860523
I was talking about postmodernism, post-postmodernism and all those stupid tags. I wanted to recommend classics but I see you've read a good amount of them. Most than the regular /lit/ poster anyway.
The Bible is a great read and it will open some doors and give you some retrospective enjoyment in books you've already read. Also if you've dosto you could keep it Russian and read some Tolstoy.
I see you didn't read anything from France yet so The Red and the Black could be a good starting place. For Latin America literature Pedro Páramo is arguably the best novel in Spanish after Don Quijote and for short stories you can't go wrong with Ficciones.
To go back to the Greeks, Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides are really entertaining. If you don't want to, skip to the Latin poets and read Metamorphoses or Aeneid.
If I had to pick for you I'd say Pedro Páramo or The Red and the Black.
>>
>>8860577

Thank you. So far it looks like this, I'm going to buy the books I listed in the OP + Tolstoy (Which novel? Recs?), The Red and the black, Pedro Páramo, king ödipus and Metamorphoses. I still have some capacity, any more recs? A bit more in my mother tongue, German, would be nice since it feels pretty intuitive to read.
>>
>>8861104
For Tolstoy I recommend you start with a book translated by Peter Carson: The Death of Ivan Ilych and Confession. These are two short works that will let you enjoy the dynamic and beautiful, touching writing of Leo and the genius of the old man that was unhappy but never had the courage to end his life. He's constantly looking the the reason to be alive, for there must be one, but he can't find it. I just can't stress how much I love this book. For longer novels there's Anna Karenina and War and Peace. Both are a must read and you should read the wikipedia introductions and pick one. Maude is a safe bet for Tolstoy translations but trust me and pick Carson's book. After reading it and the introduction and who Carson was, you'll know it's something special.
For works in German, you can't go wrong with Goethe's Faust. If you want something shorter in your mother tongue, Letters to a Young Poet by Rilke is beautiful.
>>
>>8861305
Oh sorry anon, you already read Faust. To replace a play with a play, you can read Schiller. Don Karlos is great. The Magic Mountain by Mann is superb too.
>>
Some of the best Political fiction: The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists by Robert Tressell.

As for fiction generally, my absolute favourite is probably Der Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse.
>>
>>8861104
I'm curious anon. What did you buy?
>>
>>8859097

I wish I could live the Gondola life.
>>
>>8861305

The things I listed in the earlier posts+ The Death of Ivan Ilych, Confession, Letters to a Young Poet, Wilhelm Tell and die Räuber. Thank you.
>>
>>8863267
You're welcome my friend. I hope you enjoy them.
>>
File: fuckingcandles.jpg (91KB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
fuckingcandles.jpg
91KB, 1400x1400px
>>8860458
Unless you are an extremely quick reader, it will take you longer than a couple weeks. Give it at least a month.
1. It's hilarious
2. There's honestly some great, genuine writing in it (beneath quite a bit of fluff)
3. You can meme about it on here once you're done
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.