[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you write

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: skywalkers.jpg (140KB, 1912x812px) Image search: [Google]
skywalkers.jpg
140KB, 1912x812px
Computer? What program do you use? Paper?
>>
>>8857441

Paper.

Typing is more contrived, it changes the form in my experience. I guess that can be okay if you prefer to type, but I think everyone should at least try writing with paper.

If I'm out or have nothing else, I've typed phrases and rough motifs on my phone and worked them on paper when I get home.
>>
>>8857441
Don't call me Computer
>>
File: hello_computer.gif (499KB, 500x214px) Image search: [Google]
hello_computer.gif
499KB, 500x214px
>>8857468
fuck what you want
>>
File: 10.130.1158_001.jpg (1MB, 3147x3147px) Image search: [Google]
10.130.1158_001.jpg
1MB, 3147x3147px
>>8857441
>>8857441

Openoffice/Libreoffice (Free!) if novel. Random if else.

Custom manuscript template for novels. Courier new, 12 pt.

I like it because while it's contrived as >>8857454 stated, there are numerous benefits.

Plugins allow me to have a TTS (text to speech) engine read my work back to me in a semi-human rhythm while I do other things like play an online game (If I can't play while I work, I've failed at being human). I can also listen to my book at literal work while I work and identify narrative problems while I'm getting paid at WageSlave inc.

I like being able to do things like the following:

Select an entire string with ctrl+shift+arrow keys

Select an entire sentence or bounded parenthetical with a triple click.

Use regular expressions (very powerful, do not underestimate) to find and replace very specific things: like integers, timestamps, etc.

Search by format (italic, bold, etc.)

Compatible with cloud storage and simultaneous editing by a team of writers (dropbox, google docs, github, etc.)

Copy paste text into external engines like
partsofspeech dot info
regexr dot com

The first one will help you identify superfluous adjectives and adverbs in your text so your writing can (if you wish) be more minimalistic.

The second will help you fine tune search results for when you're using regex on your entire manuscript.

Having to manage a physical text manuscript (which might be lost or damaged, and is not as easily reproduced) is, to me, too risky, and doesn't let me take advantage of tools of the trade.

Some people consider this stuff "cheating" and "not writing," but I come from a comp sci background in my creative writing endeavors, so I suppose this sort of behavior on my part was inevitable. I also use thesaurus, rhyming dictionaries, idiom dictionaries, syllable counters, etymology dictionaries, tv tropes, online communities like this one, and writers.stackexchange.

The truth is you need the tools of the trade to compete in a modern economy. If you write for yourself and not for a living, and you don't want to ever write for a living, then I suppose that's fine and you can stick to your paper which has to be schlepped over to a scanner every time you want to "Save."
I would normally feel selfish giving up these "secrets" of mine but one of you guys really gave me sage advice in a thread the other day so I gotta give back. I'm sure some of you will find them useful while others will disregard. It's up to you!
>>
>>8857441
Word, sometimes notepad.
>>
>>8857441
PC, OpenOffice.

I tried paper once to pass the time in a university lecture and my hand started cramping after 3 or 4 pages. After that I bought a laptop to carry around in addition to my home PC, which solved that problem.
>>
scrivener
>>
>>8857441

vim, then libre office.
>>
>>8857441
>Laptop
For actual writing. Notes for ... notes, Libre Office for the actual writing and background info. Word for finished document and extra spellcheck. (Although the action of putting the text into another file and being forced to revisit it does more than the actual software)

I tried specific software like Scrivener but they don't get along with my workflow too well.

>paper
For plotting, sketches and the likes. Wish I could do it on a tablet but pen support still seems like shit.

>>8857677
>not Palatino
Disgusting.

TTS is a pretty good idea too, although I still have to find the right settings for it to sound somewhat humane.
>>
I write on paper. When I feel inspiration I'll just jot down a few sentences. Figure I should have a completed novella by 2025.
>>
I started using a minimalist program called q10 this semester. The program covers up the taskbar by default which is great and is pretty much just a barren text editor that's perfect for writing drafts.
>>
>>8858036
Sounds rather generous. Writing enough words to fill a novella is still a far cry from actually finishing a novella.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.