[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learning Russian

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: George_Costanza_Hat.jpg (19KB, 400x290px) Image search: [Google]
George_Costanza_Hat.jpg
19KB, 400x290px
Anyone here speak Russian?

I'm already bilingual and I was thinking on picking up a 3rd language. I was debating between French and Russian but I'm leaning towards the latter simply because of the superior lit.

So realistically, how difficult is Russian? Without full immersion can one get a solid degree of fluency or should I just give up and settle on an easier language.
>>
>bilingual
English doesn't count because it's piss easy
>>
Native here. If reading fluecy is all you aim for, russian shouldn't be that difficult. Cram up all declensions and conjugated endings and you can start reading, the grammar is very simple and flexible. Spoken russian would be harder because nobody in Russia talks with correct grammar, everyday language is highly idiomatic and implicative.
>>
>>8857399
Mostly active sentences with no retarded word order?
>>
>>8857411
Kind of. There's no fixed order in russian, as long as your messages carries itself anything goes, which makes it pretty neat in poetry and rhetoric.
For example, a simple sentence in english:
>Anon decided to study russian language
has to be written the way it is, the only real alternative is passive voice (russian language had been decided to be studied by Anon)
The same sentence in russian can be written with no restrictions
>Aнoн peшил выyчить pyccкий язык
>Aнoн pyccкий язык выyчить peшил
>Pyccкий язык Aнoн peшил выyчить
>Язык pyccкий выyчить peшил Aнoн
>Pyccкий peшил Aнoн выyчить язык
>Bыyчить Aнoн peшил pyccкий язык
>Peшил pyccкий язык выyчить Aнoн
>Язык peшил Aнoн выyчить pyccкий
>and so on
Note that while the general message stays exactly the same, the word order impacts emphasis and style.
>>
>>8857490
Thanks man.
>>
>>8857490

All of those Russian examples are the exact same as "Anon decided to study russian language"?
>>
>>8857578
Yes
>>
>>8857359
>I was debating between French and Russian but I'm leaning towards the latter simply because of the superior lit.
You can't be serious. Centuries worth of masterpieces had been written in French before Russian even started being relevant in literature. Russian lit was only great in the 19th century and even at that time France was better. Don't get me wrong, Russian is a very interesting language to study, but if you make your choice based on which language will give you access to "superior lit" going for French is a no-brainer. Don't be fooled by the turboplebs who think Russian lit is the best because they read a few books by Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky.
>>
>>8857601
Well, who is there?
>>
i managed to memorize enough words through flashcards to kinda read it, it doesnt take that long to do that (like an hour or two a day for a few months) just use anki. but eventually you have to figure out where to go from there, i didnt figure out how to really get it to sprout into anything. i couldve tried reading russian forums but it's not as fun as you might imagine when you can skim pages at 100x the speed you can decipher a single sentence
>>
>>8857490

>>Aнoн peшил выyчить pyccкий язык
>>Aнoн pyccкий язык выyчить peшил
>>Pyccкий язык Aнoн peшил выyчить

Aren't these three sentences the only ones that would be in common use? Wouldn't the rest sound pretty awkward?
>>
>>8857842

also if you try to speak to russians and your russian sucks they will only speak to you in english, and if you go for interpals or whatever neither of you want to spend time speaking your native language really
>>
>>8857359
>not knowing that War & Peace got French passages
>not knowing that the relevant Russian writers loved frogeaters and entire Russian culture is massively influenced by France
Also it's going to be pretty damn hard if some other Slavic language isn't your mother tongue.

>>8857399
> If reading fluecy is all you aim for, russian shouldn't be that difficult.
Nigga, please. Russian literature is just as disconnected from "basic Russian" people would learn without immersion as the spoken Russian.

>>8857490
Most of the examples are pretty shitty Russian that would only work in speech with the right tone.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.