[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Marcus Aurelius?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: images-52.jpg (6KB, 200x247px) Image search: [Google]
images-52.jpg
6KB, 200x247px
Thoughts on Marcus Aurelius?
>>
>Dad tier in a good way
>>
>>8856381
I read meditations and it was ok. A few decent observations but his theism informed a lot of his conclusions so much of it felt useless to a fedora tipper like me. To be fair, he didn't think his letters would be collected, published and consumed by a massive audience so I don't blame him for not justifying all his arguments.
>>
File: 1481141031451.jpg (487KB, 1000x718px) Image search: [Google]
1481141031451.jpg
487KB, 1000x718px
>>8856381
Ancient form of pic related
>>
>>8856406
kek that picture
>>
>>8856381
best translation of his works?
wanted to read his, but language is too much for me.
english 2nd language tho
>>
>>8856381

I liked Epictetus better. Aurelius is an empathetic character we can sympathize with, however he's quite repetitive in Meditations. I liked his writing, though. The book was a good read.

Enchiridion was simply a better read and full of more information, while being shorter.

On the man? Aurelius was an interesting person. He lived a while, guided his empire well, didn't have long enough as emperor to sink in as deeply as he should've, and left the empire without a solid succession plan which kind of fucked it up, long-term. Interesting how he engaged in warmongering more than may have been necessary; for his stoicism, he could be dreamy.
>>
File: IMG_1526.jpg (58KB, 659x377px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1526.jpg
58KB, 659x377px
His book is gold mine of good quotes and solid maxims, not really a good explanation of stoicism though.

Definitely a must read though for any man.
>>
>>8856553
hays is good and simple
>>
>>8856399
>but his theism informed a lot of his conclusions so much of it felt useless to a fedora tipper like me
>his theism
>theism
I think you might have misunderstood something along the way.
>>
Opium addict
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.