[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ways of Seeing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: john berger.jpg (105KB, 788x688px) Image search: [Google]
john berger.jpg
105KB, 788x688px
Who here has seen John Berger's 'Ways of Seeing' and read his essay with the same title?

http://waysofseeingwaysofseeing.com/ways-of-seeing-john-berger-5.7.pdf

It's amazing stuff and it's pretty standard now for all art students (not one myself) but I stumbled upon the BBC mini series and loved it. He completely turns the whole manner in which people are accustomed to viewing art on its head and I loved the concept of the 'epiphany' or the moment of realisation being a fabricated substitute to account for an image's reproducibility.

Here is the BBC series;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pDE4VX_9Kk
>>
>>8852470
I read the book already. It was good. Has anyone read his novels? I own one of them and have been meaning to read it. It's called To The Wedding. Has anyone read G.?
>>
>>8852470
Bumping, also throwing Gombrich into the ring. Goethe is like the progenitor of this perspective.
>>
>>8852470
Important to read. The notion of 'gaze' actually makes sense when he explains it.

He isn't responsible for the millions of tumblrites who just use it as a buzzword.

Simple test: ask them to give examples of erotic nudity that ISN'T male gaze. Berger gives that as a necessary part of explaining the overall idea (such distinctions mark the borders of any coherent theory after all), they never can.
>>
>>8852470
I watched the first episode of the bbc series. It was good. Not quite what I was expecting. Essentially a Marxist take on art. But with surprisingly interesting insights arising from looking at the works from that pov.

The thought occurs as I'm writing this that Berger is in the tradition of Hugo Munsterberg's Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction.
>>
>>8852470
this is like a DeLillo novel converted to a documentary
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.