[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

On reading and rereading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: read-to-autistic-kids.jpg (87KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
read-to-autistic-kids.jpg
87KB, 600x399px
What's the point of reading?

Over this year, I read Seneca's Epistles. I went through the work slowly, allowing other books to interject as the letters are not something to be devoured in one sitting. As someone who had once aligned himself as Zeus-hailing pantheistic Stoic, as well as semi-competitent Classicist, I could easily anticipate what Seneca would say and how he would express his theme. Still, as I finished the work today, I struggled to recall some of the earlier letters within the work. I was shocked that the headings of some epistles seemed completely foreign to me - as though I had not read them. My recollection of some of these earlier letters were nearly void. Does this mean the letter had no effect upon me?

I remember a quotation, cited by Amos Oz in a short collection of essays, which read: 'A book not worthy reading twice, is not worth reading once.' Now, certainly, I believe that Seneca's letters are worthy of reprise reading, but it seems, in part, that the task would be futile if I could not establish firm memory of work after the first read through. Even if I were to memorize a book completely, a hafiz would not guarentee that one has drank fully from any given text.

Thus, is the only way to read a book to re-read a book?

(Another question worth asking would be what are books that you have constantly reread?)
>>
This interests me. Bump.
>>
>>8850057

Become a better reader. When I was reading Aristotle, I paused after every single paragraph and wrote down in a sentence or two what it tried to articulate. If I didn't know, I went back and read it again. Since that experience, my reading and retention has improved drastically.
>>
>>8850057
Rereading has for me proved worth it each time I've done it. I've gone from absolutely hating a book to loving it.
>>
>implying you need to be conscious of something to know it
>implying consciousness is necessary for genuine understanding
>>
Good thread
>>
>>8852756

What book was that?
>>
>>8850057
Education or for entertainment/pleasure.
I read to learn
My mumerino reads books because she enjoys reading stories
>>
>>8853122

Is reading only for the simple present? I mean, no one picks up Heidegger for entertainment or pleasure.

If reading is for education, how many times does one need to read to be educated? Can one be properly educated via books?
>>
>>8853152
>how many times does one need to read to be educated
Depends on the person, everyone learns at a different pace.
>Can one be properly educated via books
Books can teach you a lot, from knots to philosophical views, to the functions of the human body.
>If reading is for education
This should be 'If you are reading for education.' Some books, while may have some hidden meaning, may not be written with the purpose of being educational
>Is reading only for the simple present
Can't understand what you are trying to get at here. If you learn something, you can put forth that knowledge in the future.
>>
>>8853184

On in so far as >>8853122 said that there is an entertainment value. Entertainment, to me, signifies a short term titillation, and nothing more. People shouldn't organize their lives for pleasure/entertainment when there are higher ideals waiting to be pursued.
>>
File: Another book.jpg (8KB, 267x189px) Image search: [Google]
Another book.jpg
8KB, 267x189px
>>8853237
I agree. I learn because I am chasing something, whether it be more knowledge or to attain a certain goal.
>People shouldn't organize their lives for pleasure/entertainment
Not everyone is chasing something. This could be for one reason or another. Personally I believe the education system should be rebuilt a bit. I am current working on an new education system although it may never be accepted. As I would love to discuss further, I am keeping quiet about it as it is very 'young'
>>
>>8850057
Because you don't remember reading something doesn't really mean much. Instead of trying to get through a text, really take your time digesting what you are reading.
>>
>>8853290
I'd be interested in discussing the topic. I have my only little theories that I would be more than willing to share with you.

>>8853310
I know, I just need to know how to do that. Psychologically, I just want to rip through the canon. I want to have read books rather than read books.

What do you mean that not remembering reading something doesn't really mean much?
>>
Shitposts everywhere and no one responds to this.
>>
>>8854550
It's almost like writing was invented to help you remember shit or something you fucking asshole.
>>
>>8852756
And why did you decided to go through the trouble of reading it again?
>>
File: Joost.jpg (17KB, 333x499px) Image search: [Google]
Joost.jpg
17KB, 333x499px
>>8850057
I have read this one four or five times, and reviewed my notes on it perhaps 20 times. Joost was a psychiatrist who spent time in Nazi occupied territories and used his experience to draw conclusions about the political indoctrination process. I've read a few superficial treatments of the phenomenon, but this one is solid. A good book is more enjoyable to me on successive reads.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.