[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I start a physical book collection, or would that make

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: updike12cover.jpg (104KB, 650x387px) Image search: [Google]
updike12cover.jpg
104KB, 650x387px
Should I start a physical book collection, or would that make me look like an utter fool?
>>
>>8850036
Asking this question makes you look like a fool.
>>
>>8850036
you are a retard.
>>
Reading books isn't even worth it if you can't use the physical copies as a metaphorical ruler for your knowledge
>>
>personal libraries have been a thing for literally centuries
>"HURR DURR WILL I LOOK DUMB???"
>>
File: 1478875576885.png (261KB, 799x459px) Image search: [Google]
1478875576885.png
261KB, 799x459px
>not owning so many books you literally leave them everywhere
>not having hundreds of books with pages of notes
>>
Only paperback, though.
>>
>>8850060
wait are you supposed to take notes? what are the notes supposed to be of?
>>
File: 1481827096863.jpg (8KB, 209x241px) Image search: [Google]
1481827096863.jpg
8KB, 209x241px
>>8850036
>look like an utter fool
too late
>>
>>8850072
Bruh... You're killing me here...
>>
>>8850067

This. If all you buy are old looking hardcovers, then you'll look like a tryhard. A respectable looking book collection should be filled with worn paperbacks from common publishers such as Penguin or Vintage. It shows people you're well read, care about the actual text, and have the proper amount of love for the physical experience of reading books. Old hardcovers make it look like you're just trying to impress people and it's a huge turn-off.

The only exception is if you're actually doing a business buying and selling rare and first editions and crap. If you're just owning them for the sake of owning them, then you're a tryhard.
>>
>>8850036
It would make you LOOK well read but that's not why you should read. It's smarter to check books out of the library and make notes on them in a separate notebook (if you care enough to write about what you read).

The only books I keep are textbooks that I reference frequently for research and books that I like to re-read but even then I can just check them out.
>>
Use the fucking library

It will incentivize you to finish the books instead of letting them lay around forever, you save money, and you avoid having 6000 books

I had to move 600~ books cross-country in a fucking sedan rental car with all of my other shit, and it was the worst three days of my life. Books are heavy as FUCK.
>>
>>8850131

>go to library
>it's a bunch of children and homeless men using computers
>only bookshelf is filled with self-help books and Adam Sandler DVDs
>look for staff to order books but can't find any
>closest thing to an employee is a computer that lets people check out shit
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.