[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have an education reformer thread. What are some philsophers/education

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1276.jpg (608KB, 1081x1476px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1276.jpg
608KB, 1081x1476px
Can we have an education reformer thread.
What are some philsophers/education reformist theoriest like John dewey.

I'm planning to read all the schools of thought on education and I want to cover as much as possible.
>>
File: George7a.jpg (113KB, 750x726px) Image search: [Google]
George7a.jpg
113KB, 750x726px
>>8849949
I'm happy someone on this board mentioned John Dewey. I force him into many philosophy and education threads to get people to look into him but no one cares. Henry George's book Progress and Poverty deals with economics but it is important to understanding how Dewey viewed education and democracy.

He was inspired by Rousseau's Emile and Plato's Republic which both deal with education and society. Chomsky has written about Dewey and education in modern America but I can't think of specific examples because I haven't read his books. Bertrand Russel also wrote about education and was critical of Dewey, Russel took a more aristocratic view of education which is briefly summarized in his essay In Praise of Idleness.
>>
not John Dewey
>>
>>8849981
Is there a work by Bertrand Russell that goes into full depth of his thoughts or is his essay Praise of Idleness the only one?
>>
>>8849990
I don't really like Russell because he was a prick who dismissed a lot of thought without understanding it but a quick search found another essay titled Education and Discipline and a book titled On Education.

I'm also interested in education reform so I'll read these eventually but my distaste for Russell's writing gives them a low priority.
>>
>>8850009
>I'm also interested in education reform

Fantastic! I dont know about you but I'm in the US and right now public education is getting worse and worse. This has been very concerning, both economically and socially.

I'm currently in college right now (first year) getting a bachelors in philosophy, hoping to go for a doctorate in education admissionsration. I have no idea how to go about education reform from the inside, but any advice would be great.
>>
>>8850051
give up
>>
>>8850051
The goal of public education in the USA is to create a soldiers that can operate high tech equipment, scientists and engineers to drive technological innovation and develop new weapons and civilian or military infrastructure, as well as financial managers that will plan the economic development from a central position using large feeds of data.

If you want to be a reformer you need to be a rabble rouser or at least write policy for one. Read about early 20th century reformers during the Great Depression and New Deal eras and see how they operated. We are in a similar situation to these people and reform movements are growing in popularity. Unfortunately, most thought in the West is compartmentalized into small enclaves that are identity based so it is difficult to organize a populist coalition.

I'm actually reading a lot about this myself and I'm planning on getting into contact with already formed political groups based around reforming my state's and local city governments. You should try getting involved with student groups based on political action, groups like OWS should be avoided because they focus more on tactics rather than outcome and are easily exploited.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.