[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Joyce General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: joyce.gif (87KB, 270x353px) Image search: [Google]
joyce.gif
87KB, 270x353px
Let's use this thread to talk about the GOAT.
>>
>>8847575
*BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP*
>>
>>8847575
the fact he used all that time on wake pisses me off.
>>
>>8847583
Post Joycean sound effects.

>seesoo, hrss, rsseeiss, ooos
>>
>>8847595
>>>/tv/77298744
Is this literature?
>>
>>8847591
It is a shame that he wasn't able to create more works. But the works he dis produce are worth several more of a mere mortal novelist. He did die relatively young. But when all your works are staggering memes it's worth about 3-4 novels out of another novelist. Still would have been nice had he stuck around for another 10-15 years.

He didn't have to pump shit out given that he basically just subsisted on Patreon bux and and being an ESL teacher. Literally a meme and what /lit/fag millennials would all aspire too.
>>
>>8847609
>Is a passage from Ulysses literature

Wew lad.
>>
File: Irish Lord Surveys His Kingdom.jpg (66KB, 549x665px) Image search: [Google]
Irish Lord Surveys His Kingdom.jpg
66KB, 549x665px
The first chapter of Ulysses is the apotheosis of Joyce's realist style. He would never write extensively in that style again.

Unfortunately, it's all downhill from there.
>>
>>8847778
>Ulysses
>Downhill from Chapter 1

Wew lad.

What does this even mean. I'm not quite sure your conception of "realist" but I'm assuming you mean like "straightforward"/ "not recondite?" Much of the novel after Chapter 1 is written in a more straightforward style, and to be honest I don't find much about Chapter 1 to be super straightforward in the first place. The first chapter sets the tone in a big way and is full of subtle (and not so subtle but still obscure) allusions that are also immensely important to the principal theme of Irish identity. If you don't understand Irish history, politics and the the overall zeitgeist of the time, they're going to go right over your head and the subtle antagonisms between the characters and why they're doing the things they're doing or saying what they're saying a easy to miss.

Weirdly enough, I actually find Proteus to be the most straightforward of the initial Stephen section. There are actually fewer things you have to grapple with. If you look up the Latin and French which is easy enough, especially with an annotated version or the internet, I actually think Proteus is easier than its reputation. Not super easy, just easier than its reputation. Unlike the first to Chapters, Proteus isn't as chock full of social/political allusions that are also very important.
>>
Would you lend Portrait of an Artist to your grandma?
>>
>>8848495

No, I don't think she would enjoy it at all. Then again I barely know my grandma.
>>
File: 37520791eec0377e16a7d61e70ace5c5.jpg (322KB, 1347x1800px) Image search: [Google]
37520791eec0377e16a7d61e70ace5c5.jpg
322KB, 1347x1800px
>leave modernism to me
>>
>>8847591
>tfw he did it because no one else would

He'd written Ulysses, the greatest thing ever put on page. There was nothing left for him but FW.
>>
Is Dubliners prose like Ulysses?
>>
>>8850183
>is the prose in a collection of short stories with various different styles like the prose in a novel in which different chapters have radically different styles

Eh... yes
>>
>>8850183
You can see traces of it, especially the naturalism/realism, but the prose styles in Ulysses is way, way more varied. Almost every chapter has a peculiar form.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.