[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gravity's Rainbow

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Gravity's Rainbow.jpg (32KB, 316x525px) Image search: [Google]
Gravity's Rainbow.jpg
32KB, 316x525px
Someone asked yesterday who the Thomas Pynchon of film was here and someone postulated Godard but I objected that Godard isn't funny in the way Pynchon is.

I finally figured it out. It's actually Kubrick. Obviously, Kubrick's films are a lot more accessible than Pynchon's novels but no one else has a tone that comes close. No one else in film has such a similarly black comic lens.

Just look at Dr. Strangelove and Gravity's Rainbow. Incredibly similar themes and comedy.
>>
Kubrik is the Vonnegut of film. There is no equivalent to Pynchon
>>
Colgate is the Kubrick of toothpaste.
>>
Pynchon is the DFW of literature.
>>
Bounty is the Spielberg of paper towels.
>>
Woolf is the nectarine of fruit
>>
>>8846088
Kubrick is too cold and technical. He doesn't have Pynchon's vacillating rhythms or casual dexterity, and his humor is more bitter than playful. They address some common themes but the presentation is completely different, and Pynchon's scope is so much wider.

I think the cinematic equivalent to Pynchon would be somebody comfortable working in many different styles in a single self-contained work with a large cast of characters, meticulous attention to detail, and an aficionado's knowledge of both popular and high culture. They would have to approach a massive array of themes and pastiches in an extremely competent and holistic manner, and they would have to do so without collapsing under the weight of their own portentousness or losing originality to the works they borrow from.

I don't know if there is such a director. A film is ultimately limited by its appx. 90-minute length; you can only include so much information and demonstrate so many different techniques. Godard appropriates a lot from noir, but he doesn't seem to fully embrace it like Pynchon does. There's always an academic distance, like the tropes are just a vehicle for his own ideas. His disciple Tarantino definitely embraces genre more emotionally, but he never goes much beyond it. The Coens limit their variations in style from film to film, and Kaufmann is more concerned with artistic sincerity.

Perhaps the closest equivalent isn't to be found in a movie theater at all, but rather in another of Pynchon's beloved media: television. I see more in common between The Simpsons and Pynchon than any single filmmaker.
>>
>>8846401
>it's a 'DFW ignorantly believes that he can directly translate his knowledge of literary theory onto films' episode
>>
>>8846088

>Someone asked yesterday who the Thomas Pynchon of film was here and someone postulated Godard

Then they were retarded. Even going by the french new wave directors it's obviously Rivette.

He's not funny either, though.
>>
>>8846430
>it's a it's a episode episode
>>
>>8846401
There isn't room in a 90-165 min. movie to really do that variation in style. Paul Thomas Anderson is the closest to what you describe, and he even did a pretty heckin gooofy adaptation of Inherent Vice.
>>
>>8846595
>Paul Thomas Anderson is the closest to what you describe, and he even did a pretty heckin gooofy adaptation of Inherent Vice.
This. The movie got me into reading Pinecone.
>>
>>8846088
Kubrick: DeLillo
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.