[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting back into reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Download.jpg (10KB, 219x230px) Image search: [Google]
Download.jpg
10KB, 219x230px
I used to be an absolute bookworm when I was younger but then PC games happened. Now, I want to get back into cultivating a reading habit, albeit in baby steps. I made it a goal for myself to read ten books in half a year without double-ticking (don't tick a classic fantasy novel under both categories). I also already decided on the kinds - four novels (2 fantasy, 2 non-fantasy), one self-improvement book, two classics, one play/epic, one (auto) biography and one non-fiction book. By non-fiction I mean stuff like, IDC, something about mechanics or learning a language or whatever). Now, my problem is that I can't decide which ones to read and/or where to start.

To give you an idea of what I like, books that I've read before include the Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan (and some of her other works), Bernhard Hennen's Die Elfen (FYI, I'm a native German speaker) which is quite high-fantasy like, Harry Potter, The Godfather by Mario Puzo, Le Moulin Rouge by Pierre La Mure, parts of Beowulf, the Epic of Gilgamesh and The Poetic Edda and of all things a biography about Eminem. In my weeb- days I also devoured the Spice and Wolf and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya light novels.

I'll gladly wait for any answers and recommendations
Thanks in advance!
>>
>>8845145
>10 books in 6 months

Whoa lad just read on the shitter and you will do it by mistake
>>
>>8845165
I know it's little, but between being at and sthdying for university every day, spending time with friends, family and girlfriend as well as working part time and giving supplementary lessons, I don't really have much time to read.
As for reading on the shitter, I take that time to check my mails and social media.
>>
>>8845173
As a human being who has worked a 60 hour a week job for college whilst being married and having a kid and also having gone to university, i declare you full of shit
>>
>>8845184
I'm not anymore, I just took a dump.
>>
>>8845165
How long do you people take to shit? I'm in an out in like 3-4 minutes
>>
File: pepe.jpg (49KB, 463x325px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
49KB, 463x325px
I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.
>>
>>8845450
I would feel sorry for you if you weren't a dumb frogposter
>>
>>8845145
No, don't be a faggot. Start with the Greeks and just dive right into it.
>>
>>8845145
The Stranger
Of Mice and Men ( + Grapes of Wrath if you have time)
Notes From Underground (add Crime and Punishment if you have time)
Dubliners
Kafka's Short Stories (find a list of the majors because you can skip most of them)
Bartleby the Scrivener
Animal Farm (swap out or add 1984 if you like)
Heart of Darkness
Fahrenheit 451
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
>>
Why the fuck are there so many threads like "oh duh how do I read" every fucking day here? It must be because you people are actually stupid posers who want to look smart to the other kids at school. There's no secret about how to be "a reader," just FUCKING READ THE BOOKS. How stupid are you?? If you don't automatically enjoy reading good books you're a fucking idiot and you shouldn't pretend you're not. Duhh durr I have to read ten books in half a year blah blah.. WHY?? Just fucking read the books you dickhead. It's not a contest. Nobody gives a shit about you.
>>
>>8845563
i feels like you're projecting.
Im in a somewhat similar situation like OP in that i want to start reading habitually daily,for me it's because i see that i do nothing with my time and i want to fill it in somehow,and i feel less guilty about filling that time with books
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.