[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the idea of meme, as Dawkins proposed not a contradictory

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Hunger1.jpg (137KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Hunger1.jpg
137KB, 1920x1080px
Is the idea of meme, as Dawkins proposed not a contradictory statement, just like relativism is.

Proposition: Every proposition is relative
This proposition itself is thus relative and not necessary true.

Proposition: Every proposition evolves and is regarded as true due to cultural/environmental circumstances

This proposition exists not because it is true but due to the environmental circumstances.

This seems to be the same kind of argument, am I wrong?
>>
Yes, you are wrong. The first example is a paradox, but there is no self contradiction in the second. The key word is 'regarded' that you used in the second example. The idea of a meme has nothing to do with relativism.
>>
>>8845040
>Every proposition evolves and is regarded as true
Not every proposition is regarded as true. Next.
>>
>>8845729

>Next.

It's remarkable how much a single word can convey.
>>
>>8845726
can you explain some more, I dont get it.
Isnt the idea of a meme that it's value/truth/power is relative to the context it is embedded in?
>>
>>8845040
>>8845726
hold up.

so yes, relativism implies that other ideologies could be true.

the point of relativism is that it doesn't give a shit and that this conception of truth is of no use to us.

day 1 pomo senpai
>>
>>8846364
to expound some more

the only reason that this "meme" idea is used/surviving at the moment, is because it fits with our current context where darwinian science is prevailing.
>>
>>8846379
Ok just for my understanding
The first one isnt a paradox because claiming it is a paradox is part of absolutism?
>>
>>8846390
by choice of words is not good, im not a native speaker sorry.

The first one isn't a paradox because only if one adheres to absolutism it is a paradox.

I think this better formulated
>>
>>8846379
>relativism implies that other ideologies could be true
No it doesn't. There are theories like that but relativism itself does not imply that.
>the point of relativism is that it doesn't give a shit and that this conception of truth is of no use to us
Again no it isn't. There are ideas like that but you cannot assume such an attitude from someone talking about relativism. You will see in my response to the other person why I am correct in what I said.

>>8846390
>Every proposition is relative
>Is itself a proposition
>Therefore the statement 'Every proposition is relative' is itself a relative statement
>So therefore 'Every proposition is relative' is false
>But it is only false because it is true
It is a paradox.
>>
>>8847803
Allright thanks for the clarification
What do you think of this:>>8846380
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.