[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

if humans lived forever, we could read an infinite amount of books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0217.jpg (306KB, 700x1050px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0217.jpg
306KB, 700x1050px
if humans lived forever, we could read an infinite amount of books
>>
>>8842826
no because at some point it would become impossible to create new books thus creating a limit for the maximum amount of books to be read
>>
>>8842826
>implying actual infinity
>>
>>8842826
The vast majority of which would be unintelligible gibberish and 90% of the remainder not worth while
Don;t bother with sauce either
>>
>>8842826
If you were an infinite number of monkeys you'd still fail to type a single word because you're a complete mong
>>
>>8842826
wtf now i hate being mortal
>>
>>8842831
Nope, you could just make books longer.
>>
>>8842885
it's neat considering that at this point all the longer books would be made up of shorter books that already exist
>>
>>8842939

Indeed, ad infinitum
What a curse immortality would be
The embrace of death will be so much sweeter than that of the most beautiful and caring woman could ever be
>>
id read her book if you know what i mean
>>
>>8842878
Literally borges Biblioteca de Babel
>>
>>8842826
>not learning languages instead
>not just sticking to the classics

Acquirit qui tuetur
>>
>tfw Christian
>tfw hoping Borges is right and Heaven is a giant library
>>
>>8842952
t. virgin
>>
>>8843494
If Borges was right, you worship a false god and there is no heaven.
>>
Or you could read absolutely nothing, because you always think there's time for it later.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/02/08/opinion/a-brief-version-of-time.html
>>
>>8843487
I pity your lack of imagination. To think that, even after an infinite amount of time, still no book would be written that could compare to a finite number of "classics" chosen by someone else. Given absolute free reign you would choose to box yourself in.
>>
If humans lived forever, we would have come to terms with our mortality, so we wouldn't read much at all.
>>
>>8843572
This, we only accomplish stuff because we have a limited time on earth.
>>
>>8842826
If humans lived forever, we would get to hear the punchline to The Infinite Joke
>>
If humans lived forever there would be no motivation to write books, or do anything for that matter. No existential pathos, no art.
>>
>>8842826
>we could read an infinite amount of books
But there exists only a finite number of books.
>>
I'd like to see /sci/ chime in on this, but if humans lived forever, it seems to me that the infinite number of books that we'd be able to read would be a negligible amount (approaching zero), seeing as every individual would in turn, have written an infinite number of books in his lifetime.

And if we continued to reproduce as a species (and the amount of terraformed living space weren't a problem), then that would add yet another level of a very serious order of infinity.
>>
>>8843552
Food is better than sex
>>
>>8842826
This Book Will Save Your Life sounds like a bad book.
>>
>>8843795
Not really.
>>
>>8843852
You eating bad food
>>
>>8843877
aye your mum's cooking is not comparable to her fucking
>>
>>8843552

hello 4chan
>>
File: dealb.jpg (388KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
dealb.jpg
388KB, 800x1200px
>>8843803

Agreed.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.