[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HIATUS from technology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (43KB, 480x747px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 480x747px
Has anyone ever experimented with shunning technology for a few weeks? No phone, Internet, TV, etc.

I'm 5 days in, and I've never felt better. I don't have to force myself to read anymore, it just happens naturally and smoothly, and my concentration is at 100% effortlessly. I mean, this is crazy. I actually enjoy sitting down and learning Spanish now. It's effortless. And a walk outside feels amazing.

I'm becoming convinced that technology has had sinister effects on us. Or overstimulation, or watever it is. This is why, compared to our predecessors, none of us are polyglots, none of us are well read, etc. It's because it was easier for them due to the fact that their minds slipped into these things more easily, because these were sufficient stimulation in their time. It was either these things or sit and stare at a wall. But now, it's not like that.

It's as if without these temptations and overstimulation, my brain is more fine tuned to pick up more subtle pleasures, like when you don't eat all day, and then take a bite of food, and the flavour is overwhelming.

Really makes me sad to think about.
>>
File: litliterature.png (3KB, 347x66px) Image search: [Google]
litliterature.png
3KB, 347x66px
really makes you stink
>>
>>8842769
>I'm doing such a great job at not being on 4chan!
>Better go tell 4chan!
>>
>>8842782
Well I haven't been perfect, I'm taking a 15 minute break, but you still get the idea
>>
>>8842769
this is officially the most cliche notion of this decade. Good job you realized that too much of something was bad for you. People spend too much time facing a screen now vs drinking themselves to death, no difference. "Back then" people were dumber its just that your evil technology allows you to swiftly glide throughout human history and allow you to see the polyglots of said time. Rare individuals don't appear throughout history very often, surprise!
>>
>>8842796

>People spend too much time facing a screen now vs drinking themselves to death, no difference

Did you take that from the other post comparing Millennials to the Lost Generation or is it simply coincidence?
>>
>>8842769
Electric media, effects:
—discarnate (obsolesces the body)
—virtual (obsolesces the physical—physical space, local culture, local community)
—decentralise & the abolishing of space and time (anything can be done from anywhere at any time; which dictates much the end of cities and urban environments all around the globe: once centralising forces of work and labour and functions, now a touristic landscape and home to the poor)
—electric speed=simultaneity (in thought, this means structuralism and gestalt, to the detriment of lineal thinking, syllogistic "logical" thinking; narrative recedes, the instantaneous is brought to prominence)
>>
>>8842796
All is always the same, therefore no need to understand the present, and definitely pointless to contrast it with the past. Nothing to learn from the past, except that it was stupid.
>>
>>8842887
What is this from?
>>
File: f.png (251KB, 323x498px) Image search: [Google]
f.png
251KB, 323x498px
>>8842918
The two McLuhans.
>>
>>8842769
You're not five days in. Your five days are over. You've returned to your master dutifully enough. If you're gonna be a little cunt about it, don't expect me to care. Either use these tools to your advantage or kys because you've demonstrated clearly that the only point to your little exercise was to be able to gloat about how enlightened you are.
>>
>>8842965
Tousche. You're right to be honest. I will return in two more weeks. Will only use computer for work.
>>
File: image.png (962KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
962KB, 640x1136px
>>8842956
Are you talking about this book? What made you read it? I've never heard of it before.
>>
>>8842796

>People spend too much time facing a screen now vs drinking themselves to death

>Implying I don't do both
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.