[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Book Stores

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1477612604181.jpg (31KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1477612604181.jpg
31KB, 480x480px
Do you guys ever speak with the workers at bookstores about book, any good experiences?
>>
File: 1443302994754.jpg (52KB, 511x509px) Image search: [Google]
1443302994754.jpg
52KB, 511x509px
>>8841794
The ones at the bookstore that I frequent, smirk at my books every time I ring up.

Kinda like pic related; sorry for the cancer.
>>
only at the crazy ass independent patchouli bookstore where half the reason it exists is because lunatics, drug addicts, and political dissidents use it as a social venue

at the big chain store sometimes i'll say "i need a bag" and the garish hipster cunt at the counter will give me one
>>
>>8841794
never once, unless i needed help finding something.
>>
I like to slowly unveil my power level with the staff just to keep them in check

>"Are you looking for anything?"
>"Yes, please show me where you keep your Wallace"
>"Wallace? like David FOSTER Wallace? Whoa, cool, I thought you were gonna ask for that Steve Jobs biography or something. Yeah man, Infinite Jest's right over here.
>She hands me a copy of Infinite Jest
>her: "So you like Wallace huh, yeah me too, have you read Brief --"
>I hold up a single open hand while she is speaking, immediately silencing her, then turn to a random page in the book
>I smile quietly to myself as I read the entire page, occasionally snorting cryptically
>After finishing the page I close the book and hand it back to her, still smiling
>Me: "He's terrible, isn't he? Absolutely awful. Put that book back and please show me your Joyce"
>She puts back Infinite Jest with an alarmed look on her face, then takes me to the Joyce section of the librairie
>Her: "Joyce? Yeah I read part of Dubliners in my 400-level community college English class. Do you, uh, d-do you think he's good--"
>"Read this"
>I have shoved Finnegans Wake under her nose
>"Out loud"
>her: "ba...babba......bababadgharf....bababagargrfap--
>I rip the book out of her hands and stare directly into her eyes
>me: "Completely wrong, it's bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoor-denenthurnuk. bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoor-denenthurnuk is portmanteau of various thunder-related words from languages all across the globe; in this context it represents Eve's tragic fall to Satan and the subsequent collapse of Eden. It is perhaps the single most important, emotive, and creative word ever spoken in the entire history of human speech, literally transcending language, and you cannot even read it."
>I throw Finnegans Wake in her face and inform the store manager that he has hired an illiterate
>I leave the store with a copy of Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception under my coat, unpaid for
>>
>>8841907
>Artemis Fowl
This brought the pasta from a 6 to an 8/10.

>>8841794
I once got some good advice on a uni paper on the Aeneid from a manager at a local pharmacy. The guy had a degree in literature (I don't recall the exact wording) and couldn't use it. I felt bad for him, but at least I got an A on the paper.
>>
>>8842345
What was the advice?
>>
>>8841907
9.5/10 at least
>>
>>8841907
>the Joyce section of the librairie
that bit was funny
>>
>>8841794
I once told a girl at my local bookstore that their discount shelf had lots of good books. She said not any more since I bought everything on it worth reading.
Besides paying that is the only conversation I've had in a bookstore.
>>
>>8842430
She was giving you a hint about her affection
>>
>>8841907
kek
>>
>>8841907
>I leave the store with a copy of Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception under my coat, unpaid for

kek

Holy shit. This is like the best lit greentext
I've ever read
>>
>>8842448
>>8842430
i agree
>>
>>8841907
Did not kek.
>>
>>8841794
I sometimes talk to the people at stores i frequent, but it has never been anything terribly interesting. I've had more interesting conversations at bookstores away from home.
Once I asked if a store had Soumission yet, and the girl at the register hadn't heard of it. I gave her a brief outline of Houllebecq's schtick, thinking she'd think he sounded awful. she actually ended up getting the book and reviewing favorably it for the store's blog.
>>
No.
I only did so once at a used book kiosk,where the guy seemed into stuff,but at the chain bookstore there are only women working and the other kiosks are ran by brown people who smell like cigarette smoke.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.