[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the GOAT?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: lolita-mendelsund.jpg (31KB, 600x923px) Image search: [Google]
lolita-mendelsund.jpg
31KB, 600x923px
Is this the GOAT?
>>
What's the point of that picture?
>>
Part of me wants to read Lolita, but every time I read a chunk of it I can't get over how tryhard it all seems. It's like with each verse and sentence Nabokov consciously thought, "How can I make this astoundingly beautiful?" It's kind of grating in large doses.
>>
>>8836526
To show you what fucking book OP is talking about. What is the point of your face?
>>
>>8836530
Are you saying that there is an issue with the novel being astoundingly beautiful, or just that it failed in being so? Or maybe just that the book is (somewhat) difficult, making it hard to read large amounts at once?
>>
>>8836530
I think that might be because the narrator is trying to make it seem beautiful so he comes across as smart and scholarly, and not like a deviant. I mean, he comments on his fancy prose style in the first page.
Haven't read any other Nabokov so I couldn't really tell you, but that's what I told myself.
>>
>>8836624
I'm saying the beauty feels fake. It's like a wax rose versus a real rose. It's artfully crafted but it reeks of artificiality.

Maybe that's the point, but for me, at least, the fakeness takes away from my ability to enjoy the prose.
>>
>>8836626
I think Nabokov creates his narrators around his own prose style. Always poking fun at them to a degree, keeping some distance, but in reality this is how he writes. It's the best he can do.
>>
McDonald’s, light of my life, fire of my tastebuds.
My sin, my soul. Mc-Don-alds:
the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth.
Mc. Don. Alds. It was Mack, plain Mack, in Japan, standing in line 4 minutes for lunch.
It was Macca’s in Straya.
It was The Golden Arches sometimes.
It was Mickey D’s in America.
But in my mouth it was always McDonald’s.
>>
>>8836921
Lolita opening variation thread?

Malachi, light of my life, fire of my loins. My luck, my lack. Ma-La-Chi: The meeting of lips then the tongue that slips between but for the trapping of teeth, taken back and caged against the roof of the mouth. Ma. La. Chi. He was Buck, plain Buck in the morning, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed. He was Mulligan in his yellow dressing-gown. He was Bucky at school. He was Buckle in the boat-house. But in my arms he was always Malachi. Did he have a precursor? He did, indeed he did. In point of fact, there might have been no Malachi at all had I not loved, one summer, an initial Irishman. In a princedom by the snotgreen sea. Oh when? About as many years before Malachi was born as my age was that summer. You can always count on a fart-fetishist for a fancy prose style.
>>
>>8836927
Kek.
>>
>>8836626
>>8836827
Humbert Humbert was actually designed to play with how readers use dympathy. He trirs to paint himself as a doomed tragic hero with a hamartia, steals the story of poes first love with annabelle lee for his own annabel leigh, ises overly flowery langauge to seem like a deep, smart soul, slutshames and victimblames Delores for his actions fuelling his own madonna whore complex and is just an absolute cunt.

You may be write about this being how he normally writes but never to this extent; its all to serve the story after all.
>>
>>8836411
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDwKPGUIVME

bretty good song desu
>>
>>8836636
That's just Humpert as a character. He's supposed to be transparent. It's understandable that it would put you off though.
>>
>>8836927
who is a malachi?
>>
>>8837057
Malachi Mulligan from Ulysses.
>>
>tfw the lewdness stops like half way through

Disappointing, to be honest onii-senpai.
>>
>>8836411

do. ri. tos.
>>
>>8837170
Second part is the best part. Would love a movie that focused on the second part of the novel.
>>
I find it quite upsetting that Nabby decided to ruin the greatest opening paragraph in literary history with that last sentence.
>>
>>8836618
I meant like, the way the syllables are organised on the pic are done as though its some profound Tumblr-y thing thats meant to give you goosebumps from saying "lo leee ta".
>>
>>8837359
Is that the one where he says a cow will the grass no matter if it's covered in cum?
>>
File: thornton24f-1-web.jpg (112KB, 750x1047px) Image search: [Google]
thornton24f-1-web.jpg
112KB, 750x1047px
>>8837391
>posts on /lit/
>hasn't read lolita
>>
>>8836411
No. I used to think it might be, but then I read more books and concluded Nabokov was a shallow pseud who wrote for old ladies in book clubs.
>>
File: tolstoy.jpg (98KB, 353x500px) Image search: [Google]
tolstoy.jpg
98KB, 353x500px
>>8837413
Not him, but chance's of everyone having read every book that they technically *should* have read is basically nil. Like if I asked you, I'd eventually find a book that you really *should* have read before posting here. Like, have you read War and Peace?

If you haven't, don't stress anon. Cuz you can rectify that by joining in with /lit/'s winter readathon of Tolstoy's greatest work. So, get yourself some hot chocolate, nice plaid blankets, get the fire roaring and head on over to /lit/ this Saturday at around 9 p.m(gmt) for the first of thread of our 25-day Tolstoy readathon.
>>
>>8837391
are you for real?
>>
>>8836411
is this a good romance? i'm trying to find a good romance novel to gift my secret santa but i don't read that many books
>>
>>8837499
Nope. It's a kind of thrilling and really funny tragedy, though.
>>
Pronounce: The Great Gats-'by' or Gats-'be'?
>>
>>8837817
Gats-bee

Now, is it pronounced F-ow-st or F-aw-st
>>
>>8837821
I think it rhymes with mouse-t
>>
>>8836927
>>8837188
Dorito, light of my life, cheese on my fingers. My hunger, my munchies. Do-ree-toe: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Do. Ree. Toe. It was chips, plain chips, during lunch, weighing one-point-eight ounces in one hand. It was Nacho Cheese for snacks. It was Cool Ranch at school. It was Salsa Verde in the shopping line. But in my mouth it was always Dorito.
>>
>>8837391
This is just shameful, anon.
>>
>>8836411
I prefer Ada honestly
>>
>>8837821
German speaker here (not native tho)
It's Fow-st
Same as in owl.
>>
>>8837391
>>>/t/umblr
>>
>>8837391
>hasn't read even the first page of Lolita
Anon ... just ... get out
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.