[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Prince, and literature like it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

I'm looking for books in the same vein as The Prince. I want to dominate the corporate ladder, or at least have a general understanding of how people gain power and keep it.
>>
That book sounds boring as shit.

What's the best place to read a summary?
>>
>>8836220
maybe machiavellis other book. I think its called "Discourses on Livy", never read it though
>>
>>8836273
>>8836220
Oh, and also, "On War" by Carl von Clausewitz
>>
>>8836220
My diary desu, but also The Art of War.
>>
>>8836277
On war is specifically about military organization. It has very little general practical application.
>>
>>8836316
who said OP isn't talking about dominating the corporate ladder of the US Armed Forces?
>>
>>8836324
The military isn't a corporation. Please go read the 48 steps of power and off yourself.
>>
>>8836345
>The military isn't a corporation.
Oh my sweet, sweet innocent child.
Should we tell him?
>>
>>8836236
>What's the best place to read a summary?
"Be a dick, lie if you can get away with it"
-Niccolo "My Parents Didn't Hug Me" Machiavelli
>>
>>8836436
kek
>>
>>8836352
yes
>>
>>8836236
The book is like 100 pages, don't be lazy.
>>
>>8836436
> My Parents Didn't Hug Me

They did, when they needed something from him
>>
>>8836220

Having read almost every political work of note in my Politics degree, Machiavelli is the guy I keep coming back to.

The Prince and Discourses are literally all you need. His work is hyper-condensed wisdom.

Realpolitik > Idealistic Drivel
>>
Baltasar Gracian-The Art of Worldly Wisdom
>>
>>8836273
>>8836700
Thanks, that's actually exactly what I'm looking for.
>>
>>8836220
>I want to dominate the corporate ladder,
Why do you want to dominate the corporate ladder?
>>
>>8836273
Seconding this. "The prince" is "Discourses" lite.
>>
>>8836807
What do you mean that, Anonymous?
>>
>>8836857
he means that "the prince" is a 'smaller' or 'more watered down' version of "Discourses on Livy"
>>
>>8836717
this
>>
>>8836691
underrated post
>>
>>8836871
What's best edition of Discourses on Livy on the market right now?
>>
>>8836220
My friend you must read instead siddhartha. I doubt you will ever be happy if you continue your foolish ways.
>>
>>8836700

Machiavelli has his fair share of idealistic drivel, especially in his The Art of War which is 500 pages of steaming nonsense about how local militias fighting for muh civic virtue will defeat the professional armies of Spain who later went on to absolutely decimate said militias
>>
48 laws of power
>>
>>8837317

He makes similar arguments in the Prince.

His arguments were 99% sound, but he placed too much emphasis on motivation and not enough on numbers/resources. His basic thesis - that an army of citizens fighting for the love of their country/etc will be much more reliable than mercenaries, who fight for mere money - was pretty sound.
>>
>>8836220
The Prince was a satire, and right now you're the butt of the joke. As someone else suggested, read Siddhartha.
>>
File: Ain't nothin' but a thot.jpg (37KB, 607x608px) Image search: [Google]
Ain't nothin' but a thot.jpg
37KB, 607x608px
>>8837785

>The Prince was a satire

Kys, my man.
>>
>>8837827
Excellent retort, buddy
>>
>>8837779

His arguments in the Prince are more aphorisms about the capriciousness of mercenaries rather than what you see in TAOW which is much more of a technical treatise - the thesis is straight up wrong imo. The thesis of TAOW isn't so much mercenaries but he is wary of standing, professional armies because he felt it was the downfall of the Romans, despite all the contemporary evidence suggesting standing pro armies were the future

don't get me wrong i love machiavelli but he fetishized the romans to the point of delusion, in contrast to his 'pragmatic' reputation
>>
>>8836220
I haven't read his books but did Machiavelli every account for women entering the workforce/politics, since they by default have an advantage over men, or affirmative action/liberal agendas, that give minorities or SJW's the upper hand?
>>
>>8836436
You have no context son. This nigger watched his home city while it was torn apart by warring factions, saw several of his republican friends executed or jailed, and was thrown in jail himself. He believed the impotence of Florences leaders allowed this to happen.
>>
>>8837855
Yeah Machiavelli has a whole chapter about Gawker and SJW's
>>
>>8837873

kek
>>
>>8837827
Not an argument.
>>
>>8836220
Arthashustra
>>
>>8836220
>he still thinks he can read a book and translate that into success

the dominators are chosen from birth and breeding, if you're trying to get into the game you've already lost it bub.
>>
>>8837854
Guicciardini, Botero, Frachetta e Ammirato.
>>
>>8837855
Son. Niccolò Machiavelli was the Anita Sarkeesian of the 17th century. He was the bad guy.
>>
Read Hobbes's Leviathan. Pretty much explains why humans are shit and need to be kept in check by absolute power.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.