[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any love for John Fante? I loved Ask the Dust. It reminded me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: askthedusk.jpg (27KB, 305x475px) Image search: [Google]
askthedusk.jpg
27KB, 305x475px
Any love for John Fante?

I loved Ask the Dust. It reminded me of a Bukowski if he was a polished writer. That may be a turn off for someone, but I enjoyed it greatly. I'm starting "Wait Until Spring, Bandini" with hope it's as good.
>>
>>8835926
As bad as Bukowski, Kerouac, Fitzgerald and Hemingway.

Read Portnoy's Complaint instead.
>>
File: grape.jpg (60KB, 295x492px) Image search: [Google]
grape.jpg
60KB, 295x492px
>>8835926
Fante is such a comfy read, I've worked my way through most of his books. I'd rank them like this:

Brotherhood of the Grape > The Big Hunger > West of Rome > Wait Until Spring, Bandini > The Wine of Youth > Dreams from Bunker Hill > Road to Los Angeles > Ask the Dust > 1933 Was a Bad Year

Currently reading his Selected Letters (the authorial style is as Bandini as expected). After that I think I've got just Full of Life to go.
>>
>>8835926
I like Ask the Dust. I call it Fante's Inferno.
>>
>>8835950
>Portnoy's Complaint
That's worse than anything you listed.
>>
>>8836191
>Brotherhood of the Grape
Can I just start with that our do you recommend a certain reading order?
>>
>>8836293
This.
>>8835926
Super comfy read. Fante is great. I read Wait Until Spring some months ago and it was pretty good, made me think of my own childhood in a nostalgic and cozy way.
>>
Any similarities between Fante and Hamsun considering "Ask the dust" is a Hamsun reference?
>>
>>8836293
No, you're just a goy with pleb taste.
>>
>>8835926
Ask the Dust was what got me into John Fante, and also what got me to start hating Bukowski once I realized that all Bukowski wanted to be was Fante.

Wait Until Spring Bandini was great as well but I really really loved Brotherhood of the Grape and Dreams from Bunker Hill best even if my favorite is Ask the Dust for sentimental reasons
>>
>>8836191

Really? I didn't even realize he had that many books. I found digital copies of the Wine of Youth and Wait Until Spring, Bandini. I'm really enjoying the latter, but not as much as Ask the Dust. Perhaps it's because it's more centered around the family than just a man. I felt the same way comparing Post Office to Ham on Rye.
>>
>>8836862

In the preface to Wait Until Spring, Bandini, Fante is described as telling his publisher he was the next Hamsun.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.