[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I do a masters?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: roUlaH1.jpg (723KB, 1597x1600px) Image search: [Google]
roUlaH1.jpg
723KB, 1597x1600px
I'm in my third year of uni and I'm trying to plan for the future.

I was considering taking a year out to work and travel and then coming back to do my masters in American literature.

Has anyone done anything similar?

Would recommend?

Would not?
>>
File: goethe09.gif (25KB, 685x468px) Image search: [Google]
goethe09.gif
25KB, 685x468px
>>8833650
>American literature.

I think you know the answer.
>>
>>8833650
Is a 'Masters in American literature' a euphemism for doing nothing
>>
>>8833650
>taking a year out to travel
>masters in American literature

Just ask daddy if he will keep paying for your masters
>>
>3rd year of engineering degree at top 10 school
>regretting my choice entirely as I've lost all my social relationships due to having to study 8-10 hours a day
>friends and women with majors like OP get to party and enjoy life
>I read philosophy to convince myself that I enjoy learning and that it makes me a better person than them despite every part of my being telling me I just want to socialize and fuck women

Should I get my master's in physics or not, lads?
>>
>>8833650
so what do u do when u grow up anyway? what do lit majors do in real life?

inb4 nothing
>>
>>8833860
Im a reporter. Literally love it, stem cuck.
>>
>>8833650
What happens after that OP?

Teach English abroad at the age of, what, 25?

It'll be fun and you'll be able to slack off etc, but when you enter the job market you are likely to get your shit fucked unless you have family connections or don't mind earning minimum wage 5ever.
>>
>>8833947
Working for buzzfeed is not reporting kiddo
>>
>>8833860
The only guy I know with a humanities PhD has been dragging himself from minimum wage job to minimum wage job since he graduated six years ago.
I only learned about it when he blew up at me for saying lit crit was shit after I read something by Harold Bloom.
>>
>>8833803
Why do stupid people enroll in engineering and physics? STEM is for a very specific kind of mind, most people just don't have the raw intelligence to do it.
>>
>>8833971
>people shitting on OP for getting a non-STEM major
>also disparaging the guy who is in a STEM field and is devoting entire days to studying

So what the fuck do you suggest?
>>
>>8833988
Get an MBA and become a peasant office worker for Mister Shekelberg like everyone else.
>>
The answer is always doctor. Become an MD. It took me the same amount of time to get my worthless doctorate in literature that allows me to be an low-paid adjunct with no job security as it took my sister in law to get an MD and a cushy job at the same campus making over 315K working in the medical centre 9-5, four days a week, 10 weeks paid vacation a year. I was a moron. I know, you're sure you're that top 1% of grad students who will get one of the few remaining tenure-track positions, but you're not.
>>
>>8834018
To me I literally don't give a shit about anything but philosophy and literature. The slim chance of success is preferable to dredging the monotany of a conventional career until my death.
>>
>>8834018
I tried doing a bio major and switched out after one semester. I'd imagine med school is similar stuff: endless memorization with little to no application. This explains why most doctors are complete idiots who have idea how to critically think and always give me false diagnoses. I'd rather have my $60k a year shitty engineering job if I at least get to do math and think a little
>>
>>8834046
This
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.