[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is the best book ever written

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: 249747.jpg (23KB, 241x400px) Image search: [Google]
249747.jpg
23KB, 241x400px
prove me wrong
>>
The sequels are better.
>>
He has a celtic name and they're the undisputed masters of literature so it's prolly true
>>
>>8833516
Yep pretty much OP
>>
>>8833516
That bit about leprechauns actually being LEP-Recon? Pure genius.
>>
>>8833516
it's really the GOAT grade school/junior high tier book
>>
>>8833516
its a good book for younger lads, I give you that
>>
>>8833595
hobbit>
>>
This book turned garbage the moment when it was revealed that supposed super genius Artemis Fowl uses Apple macbook computers
>>
>>8833516
Why did the series start to suck so bad after 3? I remember even when I was 12 I thought the sixth was genuine fucking garbage, and I stopped following the series after that.
>>
Unspeakable dogshit. I read the first few books after someone begged me too, and they were literally sickening.
>>
>>8833516
The main character was literally me.
>>
Eoin Colfer: A favorite between the ages of 6 and 12. In mentality and emotion, hopelessly juvenile. Certainly not a genius.
>>
>>8834254
The one where they are on the demon island was good, but it was the last good one

I liked the ending to the last one(the last guardian or something) but the rest of the book wasn't very good

Atlantis complex was bullshit

I remember liking the fourth but even then I was growing tired of Opal plots
>>
>>8834254
lost colony was pretty incredible, I could reread that loop sequence without any trace of irony for daysss

haven't read beyond that, ending gave me heartache; heard artemis aged up and holly down? uncertain desu
>>
File: 1480405949751.jpg (3MB, 10000x10000px) Image search: [Google]
1480405949751.jpg
3MB, 10000x10000px
>>8835861
The aging-up/aging-down thing was temporary as a result of time-travel, but the only reason the author did it was to introduce BULLSHIT relational drama between Holly and Artemis

fuck that book made me so mad
>>
>>8835817
Agreed. I read his Hitchhiker sequel and was disappointed. It read like a 14 year old who just read the rest of the series and watches a lot of Monty Python having a go at a fanfic.
>>
but Kamille is a girls name
>>
>>8835905
>>8835817
do you guys think this is a serious thread? these are just some lads joshing about, slathering each other's shafts with that lube that is nostalgia
>>
>>8833516
I gobbled this shit up when I was in elementary school
>>
>>8835914
probably latter but doesn't mean you can't have fun doing so.
>>
>>8833516
I agree with you on this one. The way it deconstructs tropes in the fiction genre by being a fully self-conscious parody of itself and pushing the boundary of literary semantics into an age of total conformity shows how much of a genious Colfer is. He simultaneously recognizes all of the western canon while dismissing it to create a purely original work that somehow manages to spawn within itself a world of literary inter-mingling and unidentifiable sources of influence. How this hasn't started a new golden age is beyond me.
>>
>>8835861
I can unironically relate to these feels
>>
>Harry Potter became a multi-billion-dollar franchise known to everyone
>meanwhile the actually-good book series is the Jannetty
>>
>>8836559
>genious
kek. well played.
>>
Which was the one with the psycho Australian with the shark teeth, and the dwarf cat burgler? I liked that one a lot.
>>
>>8836628
The Dwarf cat burglar was a staple of the series from book one, but the Psycho australian was from book 4, when Butler gets aged up by faulty healing magic.
>>
>when the bodyguard fights the troll in a suit of armour

Pure kino
>>
>>8838121
idk why but the stirner version of the pancho meme always reminded me of Butler.
>>
>>8833520
This

Do you go to radioshack and get a Samsung Galaxy S1? No, it's outdated garbage, you go straight to the S7.
>>
>>8835910
Kamille Bidan is one of the greatest characters in all fiction.
>>
>>8835905
Yep. I picked that up too without recognizing the author's name, so I got to be appalled by how fucking terrible and heartless he is all over again in a different context. Then I realized it was the Fowl guy, and it all made sense.
>>
>>8835817
get this trash out of here, nabokov LOVED artemis fowl
>>
>>8839576
The... the same Nabokov who died 24 years before the first Fowl book came out?
>>
>>8836628
>dwarf cat burgler
best character after Butler
>>
>>8838313
An S1 will be of more use after Samsung bricks all of the S7s with an over the air update on account of the exploding battery problem, so that might not be the best analogy.
>>
File: 1140971.jpg (80KB, 600x888px) Image search: [Google]
1140971.jpg
80KB, 600x888px
The lost colony>the arctic incident>artemis fowl>opal deception>eternity code>>>>>>time paradox>>>>>>literal trash>>>>>Atlantis complex/last guardian

What are your respective rankings friendos?
>>
>>8836860
>where Butler gets aged up by faulty healing magic
>book 4
I thought that was book 3?
>>
>>8840699
i only remember the first 3 ( i read first 5) and i agree with your ranking of those 3.
>>
>>8840699
I don't remember the plots of any of them well enough to rank them
>>
I couldn't really get into it, I was more into percy jackson
>>
>>8840699
I can't remember them well enough to rank them, but I do remember hating Time paradox and heavily disliking Opal deception. Eternity code was pretty wanky for the first half "Oh no Butler got ten years older! This sure raised the stakes!".

The others are pretty equal quality, from what I remember. Didn't read past Time Paradox because it was so shit.
>>
>>8833523
>Artemis Fowl
>Skulduggery Pleasant
>Black Book of Secrets
Masters of shitty YA, sure.
>>
>>8838218
Shiiet, I just realised I imagined Armitage as Butler.
>>8840699
Arctic>Opal mai waifu>Original>Eternity>>>>>Lost Colony>>>>>>>>>>>>Dr Who: With Shipping!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Atlantis Complex

By the time the last one came out I was well beyond Artemis Fowl. That one cyberpunk Popish propaganda book was pretty good, too.

Now the eternal question: who is the better modern children's atheist propagandist? Pullman or Pratchett (the good books)?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
>>8835910
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.