[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/. I have this thing bugging me out for a while, tought

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: 1481312610599.jpg (22KB, 475x263px) Image search: [Google]
1481312610599.jpg
22KB, 475x263px
Hey /lit/.
I have this thing bugging me out for a while, tought of sharing.
There is this opening sentence that is often mocked by everybody as being bad:

>"It was a dark and stormy night"

Yeah, I know, it is a purple prose, and there is melodramatic but would you guys consider as a BAD intro?

I don't think it is. Its more like it has become a easy target for teachers at universities to show off a little bit by bashing on this.
I mean, what is the difference between that and the intro from Neuromancer "The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel" or anything from Tom Clancy "The mighty USS Nimitz was blazed out of control in the middle of the North Atlantic"?

So, what make this sentence so "bad" while other books with similar approach are considered successful and groundbreaking?

Also, purple prose thread.
>>
>>8832810
Clancy is never considered a good writer of prose, Neuromancer works because it isn't a cliche and provides more insight into the narrator's voice.
I remember what it was like to be an angsty undergrad as well.
>>
>>8832810

That's not the full sentence though

>It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents — except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness.
>>
>>8832810
As I recall, the whole thing was overwrought, not just that opening sentence fragment, and over time the opening sentence became cultural shorthand for poor writing.

>>8833882
Or that guy could beat me to it. Cheers, anon.
>>
Purple prose is a really stupid term imo. Sure you could shorten the whole opening sentence to: " it was a dark and stormy night" but writing isn't maths, it's about evoking a certain atmosphere, feeling. So no I don't find that particular opening an example of bad prose. Purple prose to me is more like "image exhaustion", they always say show don't tell yada yada, but if you burry your readers under non-stop images they'll burn out and get out of the narrative, that to me is purple prose, certainly if the images are pretentiously or cliché worded
>>
File: worried Pepe.jpg (7KB, 231x218px) Image search: [Google]
worried Pepe.jpg
7KB, 231x218px
>>8833866
>>8833882
>>8833892
>>8833907
In short: purple prose is bad but purple patches are OK?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.