[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some books to learn about music theory or just learning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

What are some books to learn about music theory or just learning about music in general? I want to know what im actually talking about when talking about musicl
>>
>>8832395

schoenberg - fundamentals of musical composition

russo - composing (a new approach)

can attest to these personally!
>>
>>8832395
Just listen to pet sounds on repeat for 1000 hours and music theory will osmose into you. There's no hard and fast book to learn hard and fast music theory.

I hate my mother for giving birth to me.
>>
>>8832403
ty!
>>8832405
im not looking for results, I just want to start somewhere. Also surfs up is better.
>>
Sung Tongs is a great album but Feels is better
>>
>>8832416
Smile is better than both
>>
>>8832452
1. Sung Tongs
2. Feels
3. Strawberry Jam
4. MPP
>>
>>8832395
good album
>>
Aaron Copland's What to Listen for in Music is a nice accessible little book, written by a famous composer himself. A nice intro to music theory while imparting some practical wisdom about listening to all sorts of music.

I also like Alex Ross's The Rest is Noise, which focuses mostly on 20th century classical music. You don't already have to be a big fan of 20th century classical to get into the book (I wasn't when I first read) since he's a talented writer, great at describing music in a technical way while being readable. More focus on the history behind music and cool anecdotes about composers.

Since you seem to be a /mu/tard, you probably already know of the 33 1/3 series, which covers a lot of famous albums. However, quality varies a lot. Some are just longer versions of P4K reviews, or worse, RYM reviews in the style of "I first listened to this album after a bad breakup..." However some are genuinely insightful and informative. Read a preview before buying so you know what you're getting into.
>>
>>8833885
Wrong, Pet sounds is the best
>>8833895
STGSTV > HCTI > Feels > SJ > CS = ST > MPP > everything else
>>
>>8834126
Which would you say is the worst? I really disliked Centipede Hz because it didn't know what to be. Painting With was pretty shit too on account of how samey it was. Also don't get me wrong, Pet Sounds is stellar, but why do you think it's better than Smile?
>>
>>>/mu/
>>
>>8834235
I think paiting with is the worst
If you listen closely to the level of the melodies and harmonies on Pet Sounds you would realize it kickes SMiLE's ass in half (because is not even finished)
Pet Sounds is just too perfectly executed
SMiLE is still a great album
>>
Take piano lessons. A book isn't the best way to learn everything.
>>
>>8835178
/thread
>>
>>8834126
Danse Mannatee is their best work
>>
>>8835206
I love it but the production could have been better
Hollindagain is great too, but I think the stuff they were doing in those two albums was better executed in STGSTV and HCTI
>>
>>8832395
https://gumroad.com/l/tldrmusic

it's very basic and well explained. It's a good intro book
>>
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.