[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>/r/books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: reddit.png (55KB, 1287x276px) Image search: [Google]
reddit.png
55KB, 1287x276px
>/r/books
>>
>>8831138
>descriptive writer
>Anon doesn't like that
>therefore Anon has shitty tastes

Holy fucking shit OP can you get any more gay
>>
desu was going to post this but didnt think more redditposting was neccesary

fucking lmfao though, it's the top thread on there
>>
>>8831196
OP didn't mention anything about taste. What's funny is that the thread is about Stephen King being hard to read.
>>
File: 1472886663154.gif (88KB, 525x400px) Image search: [Google]
1472886663154.gif
88KB, 525x400px
>>8831138
>>
haha reddit, those wacky plebs
>>
What a faggot, I bet he doesn't read philosophy.
>>
I remember when I was like 17 and a total burnout retard, I tried reading Baron d'Holbach's System of Nature on Gutenberg because I wanted to be a smart patrician and I figured I had to start somewhere. I wanted to read something difficult.

I remember it being ball-breakingly hard in a way I can't even comprehend, when I look at it now. Every sentence was like a fucking challenge, and even when you finally overcame it, you'd realize that you had forgotten everything else that came before it and the actual meaning of it all. After that I tried reading J.S. Mill's On Liberty, and the first volume of Marx's Capital.

I only got like halfway into the latter, and I understood fuckall, but I swear I tangibly felt my mind expanding as I learned to grapple with the difficult writing. When I went back to reading stuff like Shakespeare, especially difficult passages with archaic syntax where you almost have to run various hypotheses in your head about what the fuck the structure of the sentence even is, I remember feeling so much more confident. Even nowadays when I read really difficult stuff, I'm insanely glad that I progressively pushed at the limits of what I found easy over the years.

YA shit really worries me. These people are reading books at an 8th grade level into adulthood.

Is there any social theory that talks about this? I know Bloom mentions it, but I mean really goes into detail about the kinds of stultification that can result from limiting your mastery over language to books for children and pop cliches.
>>
>>8831255

Neil Postman wrote a book about that.
>>
>>8831284
Neat, this guy looks great. Never even heard of him. Thanks man.
>>
>>8831255
This is me but with Gravity's Rainbow. It took me months to make it through the whole thing and retained maybe 5% of it. However, now more classic, non Post Modern shit is a cakewalk.
>>
/lit/ is deaf
>>
>>8831333
*dead
>>
>>8831337
*dear
>>
>>8831340
*Lear
>>
tbf Kings style can be difficult when you're not used to it. The breadth of allusion requires you come at it with some knowledge.
>>
>>8831138
4chan is better than reddit. Simply amazing. What is the point of this masturbatory thread? If I wanted to see shitty content from r/books, I'd go to r/books.
>>
>>8831255
yeah first book i read when I came to /lit/ was infinite jest. everything else has been a cakewalk since then. Glad I started where I did.
>>
>>8831348
*queer
>>
File: parzival.png (89KB, 849x340px) Image search: [Google]
parzival.png
89KB, 849x340px
>>8831543
Trying to fool yourself that the fact that you have high-brow taste doesn't make you feel good is just plain pretentious. Accept your vanity and your egotism and be free at last.
>>
>>8831196
Yeah I'm with you. People are jumping to the conclusion that "lol this faggot finds King hard to read", but what the dude's actually saying is "King is pretty shit and I don't want to read shit". And he's right.

What we've got here is a sleeper patrician, not a gormless pleb.
>>8831213
>like some student trying to pad out his essay
>>8831208
So was I. We might need to stop hate-worshipping Reddit so much.
>>
>>8831566
I bought Infinite Jest when I was 15 and discovered /lit/. I got 50 pages in before common sense overcame my pretentiousness. Still haven't dared to touch it.
>>
delete this thread
>>
>>8831255
I know what you mean. I went through things much more gradually, because I was always a massive pseud, but the same process happens. It's kind of like climbing a ladder, and every so often you look down, when your arms are tired, and laugh at all the plebs languishing so far below.

It's also kind of like beating your mind until it accepts the form of the thing you're reading.
>>
>>8832137
Delete your account.
>>
>>8832127
>I couldn't finish IJ

Cool.
>>
>>8831138
>>8831785
You manchildren are just jealous that these people have much better taste than you and don't pretend to like boring, ancient cr*p like DFW and the other old books you circlejerk over. Get out of your basement, manchildren.
>>
>>8832114

>what we got here is a sleeper patrician

did you make the post in op's pic
>>
>>8831213
christ almighty. "hard" in this context clearly means "so unnecessarily overwrought/meandering that I'm getting bored" as opposed to confusing/difficult.

same way you'd get someone on /lit/ talking about how hard it is to get through a john green book.
>>
>>8831138
He's not wrong though. Insomnia was fucking garbage.
>>
>>8832926

No one is going to fall for this.
>>
AN ACTUAL r/books
MADE BY 2 ANONS

reddit.com/r/academicliterature
>>
>>8831255
I remember having the transition from YA to literature. The first 'serious' book I read was The Brothers Karamazov, and I pushed on reading it for 4 months before tackling the monster. Now, I only read easy books when I want to calm my mind down.
>>
>>8831208
you're no better than them
>>
>>8831138
The funny thing is that the poster doesn't even realize that Stephen King is hard to read BECAUSE HE'S A SHIT WRITER. He just assumes that King is good and that it's his fault he doesn't like it.
>>
>>8831208
>going to reddit
>>
>>8831255
Are you retarded?
>>
>>8831138
This is one of the most common complaints about Stephen King, and it's 100% valid. He writes like he's being paid by the word (i.e. like a philosophy/lit crit student).
>>
>>8831255
Same thing happened to me with Jude the Obscure.

I had a list of like 60 words that I didn't know and I looked them all up. God it was a fuckin slog but I GREW FROM IT!
>>
>>8831610
*speare
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.