[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Writing without wanting to get published

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: xq841.jpg (153KB, 589x771px) Image search: [Google]
xq841.jpg
153KB, 589x771px
I enjoy writing. I write the kind of ideas and stories that I'd like to read but do not exist, so, in a way, it's for myself. But at the same time, I get weirded out when I realize that none of this is going to be read by anyone else. And that's when I lose my motivation.

This might apply to most aspiring artists, in the 2010s: everyone has a voice, and there's just too much supply for too little demand. I've read a lot of the classics, but none of the contemporary stuff, so I fall into the same cliché. Rest assured I will try to correct it now that I'm aware.

But if I have this problem, what's left for people that aren't that much into literature? There's just too much entretainment options other than reading. Some arguably worse, just as, for example, skimming over news sites and social media. And some are more captivating, like youtube, series and videogames, that do not require one's full attention and dedication. I don't think they can attain the profundity of insight into the mind of the author the book does, but they are not worse mediums, just different, and they provide different value.

Having this in mind, writing (for most of us, at least) will be a masturbatory endeavour.

My question for you guys is, does it have value in itself? As I said, I do enjoy it, but I enjoy other things too, so writing for no one is purposeless? If not, how can one grow past the need for an audience?
>>
Well it's always great practice at developing your ability for self expression which has innumerable advantages in life. Makes you a more interesting person, I'm sure eventually you'll find a significant other who likes to read what you've written
>>
>>8829891
Thanks for this answer, anon.
>>
>>8829486
>If not, how can one grow past the need for an audience?
Perhaps start writing a journal for yourself instead? I suggest diverting all that creative energy into something else, something meaningful.
>>
>>8829486
>My question for you guys is, does it have value in itself?
OY GEVALT
Why would you do something without material gain??? Things have no value in themselves unless you can buy them, goy.
>>
>>8830246
Wouldn't writing a journal for myself be on the same spirit? Unless you mean in the sense of having a useful introspection over my life, which is very uninteresting.

>>8830255
I'll bait. Not valuable in a commercial way, of course. I'm wondering if I can diverting it into something meaningful, like >>8830246 says. My question is more of a "If a tree falls in a forest," etc.
>>
>>8830290
I'm in a similar situation to you. I enjoy writing, but doubt that anything I write is publishable or even original to be honest. I'm still doing it because the act of creating something in itself is valuable to me, even if no one else with ever experience it.

If you want other people to appreciate your work, you should probably try a different creative endeavor.
>>
>>8830547
Thanks for the advice anon.

It might sound pessimistic, but I feel that any creative field is flooded nowadays. For musicians it's even worse.

The unpleasant truth is that, as of today, the ability to do the marketing for one's work is just as important as the work itself.
>>
>>8830290
>Unless you mean in the sense of having a useful introspection over my life, which is very uninteresting.
Introspection is good for you though. If you don't find your life interesting enough to write about then you're not truly living.
>>
>>8830848
I don't think that's true. No one I know have a life interesting enough to be written, and I know a decent amount of people. Not, at least, that would care to read about.

Of course, one can make anything sound interesting or poetic.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.