[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is that one book you can read forever?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_7723.png (429KB, 1310x937px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7723.png
429KB, 1310x937px
>Mine: The Great Gatsby
>>
The Bible
>>
Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny
>>
Raymond Chandlers detective novels about Philip Marlowe. I read them once a year.
>>
What is the appeal of The Great Gatsy?

I read it as an entry-level lit book when I got back into reading and it was kind of shit.
>>
Looking for Alaska
>>
>>8827710
This.
>>
>>8827708
Average quality bait, but it strikes a nerve for some reason. Congrats, you rustled me.

>>8827807
It's above average, but overrated. The prose has good moments, metaphors were well employed if obvious, and it captures the zeitgeist pretty well.
>>
>>8827807
>>8828121
Plebs. Of course it's overrated—most of the famous parts of literature are—but it's better than better than average.
>>
War and Peace
>>
Stoner
House of Leaves
The Tunnel
Mason & Dixon
>>
The king in yellow
>>
The garden of forking paths.
>>
Under the Volcano
King Lear
Kierkegaard
>>
The picture of Dorian Grey and Letters to a Stoic (actually rereading that now)
>>
>>8827708
only the man without qualities.
>>
The Sun Also Rises
>>
Moby Dick
The Recognitions
JR
Don Quixote
I read these at least once every year.
>>
>>8828220
Tried reading this the other day and I dropped it after one of the first chapters (or whatever) was just an essayistic digression by the narrator. Apparently this is one of the characteristics of the novel. Is it worth reading in spite of that, or is that what draws you to it?
>>
File: tintin.jpg (27KB, 590x400px) Image search: [Google]
tintin.jpg
27KB, 590x400px
>>8827708
The Tintin series
>>
>>8827708
Anything by Wittgenstein. Probably Philosophical Investigations even though I kinda prefer the Tractatus and think it has more aesthetic content.

St. Augustine and Dosteovsky are pretty cool too desu senpai.
>>
Farmer Giles of Ham
>>
Trainspotting
>>
>>8828522
i had this same problem. fucking german writers, i swear.
>>
>>8828227
Robert Cohn was the only non cuck in that story.
>>
pronounce is gats-'by' or gats-'be'?
>>
The Supernaturalists.
>>
anything Vonnegut
>>
>>8827807
Because Fitzgerald was a god tier prose artist who could set up the scene in the comfiest way imaginable. Seriously, some of the descriptions in that book are damn near orgasmic. He blends the senses to describe things, synesthetic.
>>
File: iron john.jpg (366KB, 1077x1600px) Image search: [Google]
iron john.jpg
366KB, 1077x1600px
Iron John
>>
>>8830929
I remember liking the story telling bits this, but had trouble with the demonstrably false generalizations he makes throughout the book
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.