[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what the what now? why does DFW start writing like a high kite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1003f0f2aa34478ea89ebc645a78cd43.png (101KB, 1251x704px) Image search: [Google]
1003f0f2aa34478ea89ebc645a78cd43.png
101KB, 1251x704px
what the what now? why does DFW start writing like a high kite
>>
he thought that was how uneducated people thought, or wrote, or something.
>>
>>8824904
classism
>>
>>8824904
maybe to show that even the weirdo and stoopid people still have some grasp of language and still some intelligence and purposes there, and he while attempting to display this also tries to make it something poetic to even further the suggestion
>>
>>8825460
like there are interesting stories everywhere, and it could have also been a way for him to try to have some lighthearted escape of fun and different way of thinking compared to the difficulty of the other work
>>
yeah, this was the only part of IJ i skipped.
>>
>>8824904
It's the literary equivalent of throwing up ironic gang signs cos you look so cool in the driver's seat of your cheap ass car like check me out yo im in a fucken car yo a fukken /car/ green light means go bitch wicked mercedes bitch i hold the door open for wimen childrin and the elderli like a gangsta when I'm at the gas station bitch watch me go 2 miles to mcdonalds at 25mph throwin up gang signs lookin like a g!! I look so fly going 35mph in my 13 year old car like I was in the crisps and the bloodz for bein so hardcore
>>
>>8824904
Clockwork Orange reference.
>>
>>8824904
is this really from IJ?
>>
If you don't understand this part of IJ(which is one of the highlights) its because you've had limited direct experience with black culture and dialect. My highschool was like 80% black, many of which were impoverished and gang affiliated. This section is about as accurate a portrayal as I've read. Give DFW some credit
>>
It's to contrast the obfuscation of meaning/sincerity in language in the academic sense (how the rest of the book is written, more or less) with junkie freaks doing the same thing. Elevating one, lowering the other.
>>
>>8826787
is it, though?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.