[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nostalgia.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (42KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 500x334px
I don't know if it's just me, but I feel nostalgic for things that never happened in my life.
I'm a 20 year old British man, but I feel nostalgic about the idea of living in the suburbs in the USA, being 13 and friends with cute hipster types, watching horror movies, urban exploring and finding love and the feeling of the hour of september between 4-5 o clock.

All these ideas make me crazy nostalgiac, yet I have no real experience of any of them.

Is this a regular thing?
Does media and literature really have that big of an impact that it affects memory in such a way?
>>
This phenonemon has been called 'hauntology', wanting to be part of something that never existed. Have a look at Mark Fisher's essays, even though he writes too much about British electronic music for my taste.

Possibly also have a look at The Shipwrecked Mind, which looks at your 'condition' as one of the main raison d'etre of modern reactionaries.
>>
>>8824482
Why are millenials who are barely out of college obsessed with "nostalgia"?
>>
>>8824482
Well, it's not like 'finding love' and 'friendship' isn't a universal term that most if not all human beings share...
>>
>>8824523
It makes me feel very nostalgiac though, even though I was a shut in with no friends.
>>
>>8824482
I grew up in the heart of American suburbia, Dallas-Forth Worth. It can be a pretty bleak and claustrophobic experience. You realise you're trapped in the belly of a dying animal. Everyone is mentally disturbed, you won't believe how common prescription drug abuse is. You're surrounded by scene kids, wine moms, morons and would be fascists. American education in the 21st century is the perfect example of the panopticon simulacrum society of control those french dudes used to talk about. Everything is utterly false
>>
>>8824482
i'm not really sure why you insist on calling it nostalgia. you appear to be simply fantasizing about living in an 80s movie about american teens. it's a fairly common escapist fantasy, just like going to hogwarts or enlisting in starfleet or whatever. in what way are you "nostalgic" as opposed to simply fantasizing?
>>
>>8824482
Don't worry anon, all of us are floating in the sea of anomie with no anchor.
>>
>>8825019
I've felt it too all my life. It's not so much nostalgia as it is a mixture of regret and sadness because there is absolutley no chance I will grow up in an English bording school/American suburb/American highschool/Japananese highschool(a big one).

The depressing feelings come up when I watch an american highschool movie, watch a slice of life anime or when I read "Never let me go". That book was melochony as fuck. I just wanted to read a slice of life book about children living at bording school.

"If only I w
>>
>>8825389
>Japanese highschool(a big one).

I meant that it's a big feel. I would have wanted to live in a small japanese rural fishing village and go to the small local highschool. And have festivals and clubs and shit.
>>
Don't worry op I experienced all that and it's all in my novel.
>>
>>8825389
I think most humans basically lead 90% the same life, I even went to the "posh english school" and i guess im not an interesting person, because it was as mundane as anything

Books and movies are an idealised account of the most interesting things that can possibly happen, for most people anywhere life is mostly sitting around

I understand the feeling totally though, its probably more present in millennials because our lives are so sterile and featureless desu
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudade
>>
>>8825410
I had an 'interesting' childhood. my parents where pothead postcounterculture survivalists who taught me to live in fear of the coming nuclear apocalypse and also that the holocaust was a lie and school was CIA brainwashing. I could barely relate to 'normal' kids, I felt like a fucking alien. I had elaborate columbine fantasies. I guess I'm mildly autistic. anyways I'm feeling better now.
>>
>>8825063
i think for the op it's more like floating in a sea of anime
>>
>>8824482
Just because you choose to use the word "Nostalgia" to describe your longing to be somewhere you aren't doesn't mean you're experiencing some freak phenomena of memory.
>>
>>8824482
I feel nostalgia about being a US college student who headfucks a random girl in his dorm while Blink 182 sounds on the radio and Im from spain so yeah, pretty common
>>
>>8824482
you're not alone.
it's because your mind wants to have real experiences not masturbating and playing videogames
>>
>>8825427
Saudade is not quite nostalgia.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.