[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which should I read first, Crime and Punishment, The Idiot, or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2503.png (609KB, 824x684px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2503.png
609KB, 824x684px
Which should I read first, Crime and Punishment, The Idiot, or The Brothers Karamazov?
>>
C&P.

Most accessible and earliest written.
>>
>>8821221

****Undisputed Dostoevsky reading list****

Notes from Underground -> The Double -> Demons -> Crime and Punishment -> The Gambler -> The Brothers Karamazov -> The Idiot -> The Eternal Husband
>>
>>8821228
The Brothers Karamazov is Dostoevsky's most comprehensive novel and should be read last.
>>
>>8821221
>babby doesn't know how start with Dostoevsky

Faggot
>>
>>8821221
>reading Dostoevsky
when will this meme die?
>>
I've read Another man's wife and a husband under the bed, because it was cheap and the bookstore guy said it was a good entree to Dostoevsky works (I guess because it was short).

How is it compared to his other work? I enjoyed it a lot.
>>
>>8821243

Commie atheist detected. Please refer to the image OP.
>>
reading notes right now
is all dost this edgy? or is it just written that way to make you think of the protagonist as pathetic
>>
>>8821221
just go in order bitch
>>
>>8821335
Dostoyevsky is a shit novelist and his ideas aren't good enough to warrant reading any of his works. People who think that he's "serious literature" are plebs.
>>
I took a Dostoevsky seminar this semester and we went: The Idiot -> Demons -> The Brothers Karamazov.

I wouldn't start with BK because it helps to get into Dosteovsky's world before tackling his biggest work. The Idiot works well because, while there are slow sections, he pretty quickly gets into an enjoyable flow, and it was enjoyable the entire way through. BK has moments of pious brilliance that anyone who cares about philosophy or religion will love, but the beginning was fucking grueling. Unless you are fascinated by in-depth, mundane rituals of the 19th century Russian Orthodox Church.

>>8821348
It's deliberately written that way for the edge. Just read this last week. Part 2 is much much better. From my understanding, the first half is mostly a parody of Chernyshevsky's "What Is To Be Done." The first part makes more sense as you try to understand the narrator's thought process as he spaghettis all over St. Petersburg in the second part.
>>
>>8821356
Literature is art, not philosophy. The validity of the ideas found in his novels isn't measure of their worth.
>>
Try reading a little bit of each everyday
>>
>>8821543
t. Harold Bloominstien
>>
>>8821543
>Literature is art, not philosophy
I fully agree, which is why most 20th century German literature is trash.
>>
>>8821221
Read them in the order you posted, with some novellas and short stories intermittently
>>
>>8821356
>his ideas aren't good enough to warrant reading any of his works.
desu his ideas are the reason you even read his novels. He might not be the best writer technically or stylistically but his ideas are quite profound. People who say Dosto is shit haven't read him or are just being contrarian for the sake of it. Or fedora tier atheists.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.