[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

These are books I got assigned for next semester. Any of them

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: joan didion.jpg (168KB, 790x1024px) Image search: [Google]
joan didion.jpg
168KB, 790x1024px
These are books I got assigned for next semester. Any of them good? American lit class btw 1940ish to present
Norman Mailer - Armies of the Night
John Steinbeck - Russian Journal
Don Delillo - Libra
Joan Didion - Play as it Lays
James Baldwin - Notes of a Native Son
William Gibson - Neuromancer
Mohsin Hamid - The Reluctant Fundamentalist
Brian Turner - Here, Bullet
Flannery O'Connor - The Violent Bear It Away
>>
>>8820524
yeah seems like a good class except for Mohsin Hamid. They just had to put in a forgettable minority author, didn't they? I'm so tired of this shit.
>>
>>8820524
>American lit
>Hassan Abdullah
>>
The Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison is easily deserving a spot in this list. >>8820550
>>
>>8820524
Interesting as an overall set, they are all good.

Whats odd about it is that its everyone's second-best book (or thereabouts). If deliberate, an interesting strategy.
>>
>>8820912
I was going to mention this.
Kind of odd that you're approaching these author's lesser known works
>>
>>8820550
did you read it? what's wrong with it?
>>
Shit. That's a lot of reading for one class. My classes are like 4-5 books with interspersed short stories. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting shafted. But I guess it's nice to take your time and study them closely.

But yeah, great list. The Norman Mailer choice is odd. Surprised to see no Faulkner, but I guess you'd want more time to study one of his works anyway.

Libra is probably my favorite on there. Not studying a collection/selection of O'Connor's short stories would be my biggest disappointment. Her novels just aren't as good as the stories.
>>
>>8821041
the norman mailer is there for his unit on new journalism

I'm kind of excited to tack the Baldwin and the Gibson as I've read neither author before
>>
>>8820524
>Mohsin Hamid - The Reluctant Fundamentalist
this shouldn't be on the list

t.Indian

Do you guys study Hunter Thompson as well?
>>
>>8820524
Joan didion is fucking shit. Fucking old ass white retard who thinks she is the best thing in the world
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.