[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unattractive/unconventional looking love interest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2660.jpg (111KB, 1024x904px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2660.jpg
111KB, 1024x904px
I wanted to make the love interest a burly guy with a beard, but it's YA too so everyone assumes the guy will be a Chad or a Chad with glasses so will this hurt?

Also, will it be YA if the girl is turning 18 in the novel and the guy is 24? I hate writing about children...
>>
>hates writing about people at prime age for all types of character development
are you five desu
>>
>>8820232
The youngest I would write is 16. No children.
>>
>>8820230
>First book
Male is a mid-20s, 6', beer bellied, hairy, and likely straight guy who is big into survivalism, hunting, fishing, hiking, and so on. Pretty much kinda like a lumberjack.

Female is a... mid-30s was it?... chubby, fairly short, and straight woman ho is a feminist. Due to circumstances in the novel, she's not been able to shave regularly, so her pits/legs have become hairy even though she'd prefer them not to be.

>Second book
Male is a College student in his 20s (I think 28, specifically) who is just about finished. He's around 5'10 or 5'11 I think, is a writer, fairly thin as I recall, long hair typically put into a pony tail, and enjoys frequenting pubs or going to an indoor shooting range in town.

Female is a girl, recently turned 18, who is short, very thin, pale, freckled, redhead, painfully socially inept, and had a VERY fucked up relationship with her father to say the least. There's quite a lot of friction between them, but he seems intent on helping her to open up, even though it causes some turmoil of his own.

>Third book (being written)
Male is a somewhat short and thin fellow with dirty blonde hair and blue eyes. Lives a solitary life in the woods near a cliff with an insane collection of firearms/mags/ammo in a not-so-distant future. Sort of like Mad Max I guess, but more based around firearms/ammo instead of vehicles/fuel. Not much of a sense of humour, quite quiet, and would much rather stay on his own and not bother with other people, but circumstances have made it so he must get involved.

Thus far, there is no female protagonist, however might have figured out a female antagonist.

>Children
I'd like to pull a 'Lolita' and try my hand at a romantic novel including paedophilia. I've not read Lolita yet, so at least I know that I won't be influenced by it and my own book would be a genuinely unique work. I'd say the youngest I'd go is... probably 13. I'd prefer to stick to around 14-15 though. Back when I was a teenager, I had a relationship with a couple 15 years olds (legal in my country) so I could possibly include some scenarios of my own experiences. Probably won't make it a HUGE age gap though, like 30s+ with someone under 16. I'd also like to try a novel that includes incest, but we'll see. It's nice to write under a pseudonym.
>>
>>8820336
Oh yeah, and the College male in the second book is bisexual. There isn't a gay sex scene per se, but a couple is eluded to. The female is also just starting College.
>>
>>8820336
Are the characters unattractive?
>>
>>8820542
Depends on your perspective. Do you think big masculine men with body hair and a beer belly is attractive? If so, then yes. If not, then likely not. As for the female in the first book, she is even described as someone who is not 'conventionally' attractive, but being something of a chubby chaser, found her not entirely unpleasant to the eyes. As for the second book, I'd say the 18 year old female is quite cute, yes. If you dislike freckles, perhaps not for you. The male? Long dark hair typically in a pony tail, and... did I give him a goatee? I think I gave him a goatee.

In short; I make my characters however the fuck I want to, and if people like them, good. If people don't like them, that's fine too. With the third book, the character is something like 5'6 or so I think. Could pretty much call him a 'manlette', but he doesn't give a fuck. I don't think you should either. Make the characters how you like. You shouldn't pander to what you think the writers want to read. What you write should come from YOU, not from THEM. That's my philosophy anyways. I also believe that, though cliche, the saying 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' rings true. I myself am a chubby chaser. Not obese, fuck no, but I find women with some chub on them to be generally more sexually attractive than skinny women. This includes supermodels. I genuinely find plus sized women (bonus points if they wear glasses) to be hotter than women you see in magazines. That's just how I am. So yeah, one man's trash is another man's treasure, and all that...
>>
>>8820651
I've read a lot of YA and I am a teen still (19) and I know the hotness of the guy is very important because girls and even the adult women who self insert in the novel. My love interest would be considered attractive by me, but he isn't Chad... I'm not sure whether to make him more conventionally attractive, but I wanted his look to be part of his identity...
>>
>>8820799
Then make him as you like. There's teen girls out there who prefer skinny little prettyboys, goth boys, emos in skinny jeans, bigger guys who are developing body hair, and even some who prefer older men in their 20s. I've even met some chicks in their late teens and 20s who preferred men in their 40s-50s, greying hair and all. Similarly, there are teen boys out there who have a particular interest in MILFs/cougars; women who are around 2+ decades older than them. In the end, your characters will not be loved by all, but just about no matter how you describe them, there will be some people out there who will find them attractive. Believe it or not, there are even women out there with fetishes in regards to small penises as well as premature ejaculation. So yeah, there's someone out there for everyone. Just write them as how you'd like them to be.
>>
>>8820895
Thanks for the advice :)
>>
>>8821013
No problem, have at it. Also, considering your age, check out the dude who wrote Eragon if you need inspiration. Pretty sure he was only a teenager when he published that novel, came out when I was in high school I think, and it ended up becoming a movie and a game. Well I mean, I don't want you to get your hopes up TOO much because the chances of that happening is VERY low, but still, it's not an impossibility. If they like it, they'll like it. If they don't, well, sae la vie or however it's spelt.

I've checked out quite a few videos made by published authors though, and some really good advice I got from them is that, firstly, your first novel is probably not going to be very good. Writing is a learning experience; you get better over time, so your first work is often going to be one of your worst. That said though, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was J K Rowling's first published work, as was 50 Shades of Gray for whoever that woman was who wrote it, so while it's often the case, it isn't always... though in spite of its amazing success, 50 Shades of Gray is often considered a VERY poorly written book, and based on some of the excerps I've read, I'm inclined to agree.

Secondly, due to firstly, it's advised not to make your first novel one that you're passionate about. Well, I might have worded that wrongly. I mean, if you have this one idea that you REALLY want to write down, to make a novel of, don't make THAT your first novel. Make up a scenario, make up some characters, a basic story, and make your first novel basically an experiment. Shelve your MAIN novel for now, or if you've already written your first novel, don't publish. Write your second, do what you will with it, get it reviewed, hear some people's opinions, pointers, criticisms and the like, learn from it, and then dust off that first book and read it. You just might end up glad you didn't publish it right away, and so go about making an improved second draft. Speaking of which, don't just keep making drafts. The longer you're working on one novel is the longer you're not working on the next. If your goal is to make this a profession someday, you need to write A LOT. Like... fucking LOADS. The sooner you can get to your next project (without leaving your previous one in a lacking state), the better.
>>
>>8821364
I'm not used to writing huge projects and I lack discipline which is why I wanted to make my first novel something that I could put my heart into which would motivate me to complete it. You really think someone should write something they don't really feel passionate about as their first novel?
>>
>>8820230
>writing YA
>hate children

Surely you see this
Surely
Surely
Surely
Surely you do
>doesn't
>>
>>8821761
That's some advice I heard, and I thought it was weird too, but having written more of a passion project on my first go-around, I think it might have turned out better if I'd have sharpened my teeth on something else. You don't have to publish that first test novel if you don't want to; it would just be something to get started on. Post some portions of it online to get some criticism, learn what things you're doing wrong (chances are, there WILL be aspects that you'll need to improve upon, that was the case for myself and I'm quite a few years older than you not to mention I've been writing off and on for years, just not with the intent of writing a book until recently), and thusly, your proper passion project will have some experience behind it.

Still, if you want your first one to be your main one, then I'm not going to argue against it. I did the same, it's just that I kind of wish I'd have done a different one first to sort of get my feet on the ground. Some of the things I learned along the way was which things to capitalize and which not to. I didn't know that north/west/east/south weren't supposed to be capitalized, unless going along with a specific location. The 'East Coast', 'West Germany', where is the North Pole? It's up north. Also, you should rarely ever MAKE WORDS ALL CAPS LIKE THIS. I did it too often, and must fix it, because it's hard on the reader. Use only italics unless it's proper yelling. Oh, and one published author mentioned not to make too much of the dialogue with exclamation marks. People don't talk like that. So use them sparringly as well. The days of the week and the four seasons are all worthy of capitalization however.

Thankfully, most of this stuff I researched and learned WHILE writing, so I had the chance to go back and edit it before publication, but the capitalization of whole words to STRESS them like I'm doing HERE, will require a second edition to fix.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.