[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened to the lost art of essay writing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 1435882633651.jpg (178KB, 467x362px) Image search: [Google]
1435882633651.jpg
178KB, 467x362px
What happened to the lost art of essay writing?
>>
It's being resurrected by me.
>>
>My newest testament.
>>
>>8819626
Capitalism. There's largely no profit in essays, so they take the form of theses in academia or get expounded into books.
>>
What? Essay writing is doing perfectly well at the moment, far better than any other form of literature. It's flourished in the internet age.
>>
>>8819692
Academic articles are just essay's by another name
>>
>>8819697
Exactly. A more profitable name. That was my point.
>>
Rock&Rome.
>I am not a robot.
>>
by the way, are the dfw essays worth it? have never read anything by him and was curious
>>
>>8819758
DFW's essays are his best pieces of work.

I would recommend reading either his essay about cruise ships or "Authority and American Usage." to get a taste.
>>
I write essays, but they fucking suck.
>>
The essays in the LRB are pretty good imo
>>
>>8819758
Read E Pluribus Unam, easily googleable as a free pdf

Bit of a slow start but it's a legendary essay and should sell you on him, if you're into the crisis of pomo at all
>>
>>8819774
>>8819815
Thanks. Yeah, I have a .mobi with few essays of him, will read it.
>>
>>8819786
Great publication.

Magazines, literature reviews, etc. are good places to find essays these days.
>>
>>8819626
It got lost.
>>
i write a lot of essays in my diary desu
>>
>>8819815
you got it backwards my friend—"E Unibus Pluram"
>>
Guys list essays you really like
>>
File: 30735._UY346_SS346_.jpg (20KB, 346x346px) Image search: [Google]
30735._UY346_SS346_.jpg
20KB, 346x346px
are any of these worth reading?
>>
>>8824617
They are amazing. They all do, but if you don't have the time/patience, read a selection of his essays.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.