[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reading Spanish books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: index.jpg (4KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
4KB, 194x259px
Alright, so my Spanish is decent. I am by no means fluent, but I want to pick up a Spanish book for both practicing the language and enjoying a good read. I have 3 years of American (shitty) education in Spanish, but I'm a tryhard, and I paid alot of attention in those classes.

So I'm looking at:

Bolaño (His books might be too long)
Borges (Ficciones)
Márquez (100 Years of Solitude)
Cervantes (Don Quixote)

Which is going to be the easiest for me? And if none of these are, I'm open to any suggestions
>>
I don't know bolano or barges but Cervantes is pretty hard, very long sentences and not entry level at all.
Try 100 years of solitude.
>>
spanish is my mother tongue, you jelly?
>>
>>8819392
I would recommend you Pedro Paramo .It is usually read in schools as the language is not too hard. The book is short and it is a great book overall
>>
Try 100 Años de Soledad.
Don't even try Ficciones.
>>
File: CUENTOS BREVES Y EXTRAORDINARIOS.jpg (252KB, 1027x1600px) Image search: [Google]
CUENTOS BREVES Y EXTRAORDINARIOS.jpg
252KB, 1027x1600px
>>8819392
OP, start small if you have not ever read a literary text in Spanish.

Pic related is an anthology of short short stories (most are not even a page long) from literary traditions across the globe, translated and curated by Borges and Bioy Casares. You will find legends, parables, jokes, fables as well as stories from masters of the medium such as Kafka, Borges himself and O Henry.

I think they are specially interesting for beginners because they are very short and to the point, but still hold a lot of literary value. I have used them with my students with a reasonable amount of success.

I would also advise investing on an ereader if you are serious about learning Spanish, definitions and translations available with one touch are invaluable if you are learning another language.

I will also add that I usually find Cortázar's short stories a lot more enjoyable than Borges'. And for a beginner, Borges should be a nightmare to read. You can proceed to lynch me now

Out of the ones you listed, 100 years is probably the most begginer friendly
>>
hey, spanish fag here
100 años de soledad should be fine for a starter, but not don quijote or Borges (too complicated for non speakers).
Try Unamuno's Niebla, Camilo José Cela's La colmena or Mario Vargas Llosa's La Ciudad y los Perros.
You should also read some poetry, it's pretty good in spain with the generation on 27 and 98 apart of Gongora, Espronceda etc.

I think the best lit movement in spain would be realism (in my opinion), because i don't really like extreme romanticism. Try Benito Pérez Galdos, very good language and incrediby accurate descriptions.
hope I helped bro
>>
>>8819392
My Spanish teacher gave me Réquiem por un campesino español by Ramón J. Sender as a first book. Short and very readable.

I also found plays quite manageable. Anything by Federico García Lorca, Antonio Buero Vallejo or Ramón del Valle-Inclán would do.
>>
>>8819392
Go for Cortazar's Octaedro.
>>
I know native Mexicans who can't read Don Quixote. I've studied Spanish for about 2 years and have only read translations of English YA (I read the Harry Potter books and The Hunger Games). If you haven't read a book in Spanish before, I recommend starting with one you've already read in English so you have a general idea of what's going on and can use context clues more easily.

Cien Anos de Soledad is something I had trouble with: I was taught Mexican Spanish and there were many words I'd never seen, since he is from Colombia.
>>
>>8819392
>Bolaño books too long

he has like 5 different novels that dont cross 200 pages.

Start with La Pista de Hielo
>>
>>8820163
I´d recommend also Estrella Distante, which i think is one of his better short novels, aside from Nocturno de Chile, but that one might be too complicated for a beginner.
>>
>>8819392
Rodolfo Usigli (Theather)
Crown of Shadows (Corona de Sombra), Crown of Fire (Corona de Fuego), Crown of Light (Corona de Luz), Woman Doesn't Make Miracles (La Mujer No Hace Milagros), The Gesticulator (El Gesticulador), Jano is a Girl (Jano es una Muchacha).

Luisa Josefina Hernández (Teather)
The Great Dead (Los Grandes Muertos), The Weddings (Las Bodas), In Such a Night (En Una Noche Como Esta), Fallen Fruits (Los Frutos Caidos), Tale of a Ring (Historia de un Anillo), Fictional Peace (La Paz Ficticia).

Luisa Josefina Hernández (Narrative)
Nostalgia of Troy (Nostalgia de Troya)

Sergio Magaña (Theather)
The Signs of the Zodiac (Los Signos del Zodiaco)

Laura Esquivel (Narrative)
Like Water For Chocolate (Como Agua Para Chocolate)

José Emilio Pacheco (Narrative)
Battles In the Desert (Las Batallas en el Desierto)
>>
>>8819912
Federico García Lorca is the best of them.

Anon, try Yerma or Blood Weddings (Bodas de Sangre).
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.